z

Young Writers Society

Motivation to Write

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 pm
Charm says...

Hi guys!

I have been working on this project (New Haven) and I am so passionate about it. I'm in love with my characters and story, but I feel like every time I sit down to write it, I just can't. I'm getting really frustrated and I feel like going into fetal position and crying.

Do you guys have any tips on staying motivated or any tips in general?

Thanks for taking time out of you busy writing schedules to read this :)

~Rachel

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:41 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

I went through some fairly uncomfortable writer's block for about two to three years. A lot of it stemmed from the fact that I was obsessed with producing top-notch work on the first try. I was putting myself under too much pressure.

Personally, I just waited it out but if any little lightbulb of creativity occurred, I would always take that time to write something, anything. I often carried a small notebook around and jotted down anything that came to mind. That way, when I got home, I could put it all together and add it to my story.

Other things that help me now is writing little snippets in the background - even things that might not make it into the actual story. For example, maybe a protagonist's childhood memory or a little sketch about that restaurant just down the street from their house. That way, the story is constantly with you and these little bits of writing might inspire you to write something a bit bigger. In a way, you start developing an archive of your fictional world.

This gives me confidence, for sure, because I am familiarizing myself with my story's world until I know it like the back of my hand.

Other non-writing activities work as well. Often going for a run or doing yoga helped me clear my head and gave me time to brainstorm without distraction or pressure.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful!

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:08 pm
Charm says...

Thanks this really helps a lot!

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:09 pm
Apricity says...

This is not uncommon, it happens to me a lot and most of the time if I really don't feel like writing. I don't force it, because if I force it it could turn into something I dislike rather than something I enjoy. Sometimes a little break is no harm, but you'll have to recongize whether you're loosing the will to write or if you want to get your words out or something out but can't find it. In that case, try these.

If it's for a story, then you should definitely consider Lavvie's ideas. However, frustration does not stem from a single source. It's likely that you're not getting enough stimuli, if you don't know your story well enough then you should do that. But at the same time, it's good to have some wildcards. Try going to unfamiliar places, maybe a park or a suburb you haven't been to. A new cafe, a new museum. You may find people or things you see that you can use in your story.

If you're not reading, you should try and read more. Good writers are almost always great readers. Also, it's normal to feel unmotivated. Writing a novel isn't all sunshine and ponies, there are many bad days where you will feel blocked and unmotivated but you'll just have to fight through those.

And one thing that always worked for me was talking my idea with others, not only can they give me feedback but it also makes me more interested in my own idea because I'm sharing it with someone else (maybe it's just me?) But you can try it out.

Good luck!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic