z

Young Writers Society

What can go wrong?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:38 am
queenofscience says...

Hi. So I want to write a short sch fic story that is centered around a group of mutated animals in the far future in Chernobyl ( a highly radioactive place in Russia) What can happen in my story? Ideas.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:17 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

You haven't given us enough information.

Are the animals predatory or prey? What are their mutations? Are they new species? Are they still mostly animals, or more humanoid?

Are their any humans around? How do they relate to the animals? Have they been impacted by Chernobyl's radiation? How much?

Has the radiation dissipated? Has there been another disaster? How far in the future are we talking— because Chernobyl will be safe to live in again, eventually, at about the 300 to 900 year mark (but the radiation will take much longer to dissipate— closer to 50,000 years).

Are you going accurate with the radiation mutations, or fantastic? If fantastic, what type of fantastic? Mutant powers come in a whole wide range of flavours, even just limiting yourself to powers given by radiation.

All of this impacts what can go wrong. Fleshing out your setting is absolutely critical for determining what the state of the world is for a sci fi story. After all, the basic premise of sci fi is "how has the world changed because of this scientific thing?", which means its bread and butter is worldbuilding.

Without any worldbuilding provided, we can't tell you any specifics about what could go wrong. Doing so would require us to assume answers to the above questions, which is doing your work for you, as an author. It should be your ideas, not ours, because it's your writing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office