z

Young Writers Society

Hades

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:59 pm
ShadowedHeart178 says...

What does everyone think about the Greek God Hades? The reason I ask is because I'm currently working on a book about his and Persephone's daughter and I want to get a general perception of what everyone thinks about him. Base your answer off of actual Greek Mythology, not fiction please. I'm trying to straighten out his character and I'm having a bit of trouble.
Last edited by ShadowedHeart178 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a story is in you, it has to come out.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:09 pm
Apricity says...

Advice before I give you my perception, it might be more accurate if you removed the
the real Greek Mythology
part off your question. As you don't know how many people on this site have read Greek Mythology and if I'm not wrong, a general perception includes both correct and incorrect perception. It would also benefit you to see what other people would learn outside of the real Greek Mythology, it's always good to gather more information and filter it out later.

You could if you want to make the question more specific but people might get lazy so it could backfire I suppose. You could ask them why they came to that perception and give you an idea of perhaps similar ideas of yours.

What do I think about Hades? I'm lukewarm about him, I'm not incredibly intrigued about Hades because I've read a dozen or so books on him. Including a non-fiction one. I know he is the God of Underworld, he is one of the six Olympian Gods and rules over the underworld. As on his personality I don't know, his character, there are more intriguing characters.

Best of luck.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:37 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Here's the thing: Greek Mythology is huge and contradictory.

You have to keep in mind that Greek mythology used to be a living religion that spanned about a third of the old world and lasted for thousands of years. It ends up being in a similar boat to modern Christianity where there are old versions, new versions, regional variation, and a whole bunch of adaptations.

Of course, Greek mythology is (mostly) a dead religion so you can go forth and have tons of fun with it! People already have.

I would really study the original myths and see what you want to pull from them for your own story, especially considering the topic of Hades' children is rather thin at first glance, mythology-wise. People more well versed in Greek myth can probably give you a stronger direction.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen