z

Young Writers Society

Rushing Things

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:24 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Hello all! :) Do any of you have a tendency to rush things when you write? If so, how do you solve that problem? I noticed that I have a tendency to rush things and I really, really want to fix it. Thanks!
Shadow
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:51 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

I'm not sure about people but I do, I always want to skip the introduction and the boring things and get to the parts I want to write. Or if the plot is moving to slow, I rush things whether intentionally or unintentionally. It depends on what you tend to rush, identify it before it trying to fix it is more important than searching for a cure. And also why you like to rush it, once you recongize it you'll catch yourself doing it and there is a higher chance of stopping it.

But one of the ways to stop it is make a plan before you start writing, plan out everything. Plan out your characters, where specific things are meant to take place, where you want to introduce specific characters or where a specific arc is going to take place. Then revise that plan, examine if everything connects in a logical and steady pace. Of course doing this takes practice and patience, and transform writing into a rather technical art. But really a simple outline will help. Or get others to check it.

Things like this take time, so don't worry if you can't fix it immediately.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:05 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Learn to enjoy the process.

I used to rush things, then I realized it was because I wanted to write my absolutely positively favourite part and I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of writing the rest of it. Then I wondered why I was bothering to write it if I didn't see any value in it, even though I knew there had to be value to it (set up, characterization, etc)

So I started seeing every single scene as worthwhile. I'd ask myself what would make me interested in writing a scene, what I wanted to establish with this scene, what tension I wanted to draw attention to.

As a result, I started taking my writing much more seriously and the quality of words improved. Everything I was putting into my writing had a well established purpose, and readers could pick up on it. I stopped rushing and started enjoying everything.

Now, if I don't get excited about a scene, I just flat out don't write it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:50 am
Lightsong says...

I don't know. For me, when the part I'm going to write isn't interesting, I usually stop. >.> I guess it causes different reaction to everyone.

But you tend to rush things, and even though the result might be messy or unorganized, you get things done. And that's good. The problem with us writers are usually writer's block, and our tendency to not finish a piece. If you can avoid that, you can at least maintain your passion and interest as a writer.

And when things done, you can go back and reread it, picking out things that you can improve on, elaborate on, those kind of stuffs you do to make your piece better. So don't worry, rushing things is not entirely a negative thing, especially when you're a writer. You just have to adapt to it. :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:09 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Thanks guys! I was kind of worried that this might be something that I couldn't get past but I think I probably can now. :) Which is a relief because I strive to be the best writer I can be.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller