z

Young Writers Society

The Next Disney Princess (need name help)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 pm
Cole says...

I am working on a project that will be a Christmas present for my fiancee. I'm turning her into a Disney princess, essentially, by writing as Disney-esque tale inspired by her (and I'm hiring an illustrator). It's called Star Girl.

Here's the premise:
Spoiler! :
Two hundred years prior to the events of the story, the archipelago kingdom of Taldomy was plunged into permanent night when the sun and moon went dark, and all of the stars in the sky vanished. The mainland of the kingdom lost contact with its islands. Centuries later, the current king and queen have a daughter, whose hair and skin remarkably glow like fire. When she turns eighteen, she agrees to become an ambassador for Taldomy by leading the next of many expeditions to reclaim the island territories in the dark world. Her first mission is to sail to Eeren Island, one of the farthest from the mainland. After a treacherous voyage there, she and her crew discover that the island--similarly to all the others--is still inhabited by people who have managed to survive in perpetual darkness. She learns that the people of Eeren Island think stars are mere mythology--all of them but one. He is a humble researcher/book collector who is convinced that the myths of stars are actually true, and like the princess, believes they were stolen somehow. Shortly after her arrival, the princess also meets the strange, cruel patron of the island, who hates her immediately. As the princess and the book collector explore the island for clues of the stars' disappearance, the lord of Eeren plots to destroy the princess and put out her light for good.

I need a name for the princess. My fiancee's name is Darian, so I want something that has the name softness and floral grace that her name has. I've tried everything from anagrams like Anriad and Andria; I've tried names that sound similar like Marian, Mayren, Corlian, Lorian; I've tried making up names like Bris and Ellemay. Nothing is working.

Please help!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:04 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

A name that came to mind while reading this was "Loren" not sure if it's spelt right. Another name I was originally going to use for something, but decided against, is "Kinsley". I'm Trying to think of more but I can't seem to.

Is there a reason in particular you don't want to use her actual name?
100% autistic

Random avatar

Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:10 pm
Cole says...

I think Loren/Lauren is too common. And Kinsley feels too trendy.

As much as the princess is meant to be like my partner, I want the story to be able to stand on its own.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:28 pm
Steggy says...

For some reason, a name that comes to mind would be "Ryanette" which I used when I drew princesses. I cannot think any other names; maybe "Juliet" or "Gwen".
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

Reviews: 0
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:37 pm
ShootingStar00 says...

What about Leana or Alana?

Random avatar

Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:40 pm
Cole says...

Ryanette is too edgy, and Juliet, Gwen, Leana, and Alana are all too common. I need something unique, floral, and soft.

Reviews: 0
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm
ShootingStar00 says...

Azalea isn't too common. Don't know if it's close to what your looking for but it's just an idea.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:18 pm
backroadstraveler says...

What about Delphine? Iris?
Eggs are scrambled, eyes are addled, and brains should never be eaten

-The Lady Peg

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:23 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Can I just say this is such an adorable idea <3 and also an amazing story!

So because of the way she glows 'like fire', I began looking up fire related names: Niran, Nura, Nuria, Blasa, Ea, Edana, Celosia, Vahni, Anala, Neci, Necia, Elda, Brenna, Orinda, Nuraya, Nuriye were all super pretty I thought.

Then I thought about light-related names: my own middle name, "Sorcha" means bright so there's one ;) Adna, Allia, Akiko, Alena, Alesea, Aurora, Chiara, Dalla, Eily, Elani, Eveline/Evelina, Ilepsie, Kirie, Layna, Liora, Lucinda, Lumina, Neorah, Noor, Sana, Saeiga, Ziya... there's tons of these too, you may as well do your own search but those are all the ones that struck me as beautiful :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:33 pm
Cole says...

Some of these later suggestions are more of what I'm imagining, but nothing is jumping out at me. I'm sorry I'm so picky. This just has to be perfect.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

CLEARLY Lumina is the way to go. How can there be any debate? ;D

My suggestion is to take one of the bases that Stellabear provided--or anything that really has remarkable symbolism for either the plot, character reasons, or just sounds nice--and basically bastardize it. Since you're working with your own unique culture and mythology, you don't have to stick to specific naming parameters.

But if you're going for soft and floral, then you'll want something composed of [L, M, N, U, I, S, Sh, maybe E if you bend it the right way in your mouth] and avoid consonants that are innately tactile: like the word tactile. That's just for the sake of composition.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:28 pm
OliveDreams says...

Alaya?
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 pm
Carlito says...

Okay. This is the cutest/most amazing thing ever. I'm impressed.

(That's mainly what I wanted to say :p).

Is there a reason why the name of the princess can't be Darian? If it's inspired by her and for her, can't you use her name too? :)

(As a girl and a lover of all things Disney princess, I can assure you that whatever you name this princess, she is going to LOVE IT. This is seriously the coolest idea.)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:35 pm
Rook says...

Basically what Lumi said about what letters to use. Y is good too.
I've always liked the name Magnolia. :) Oh and Marina... hmm.

Also, there's a pretty popular book with the title of Star Girl, I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:00 pm
carbonCore says...

Roya.
_

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison