z

Young Writers Society

The Next Disney Princess (need name help)

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:02 pm
Maverick says...

Adorable idea!

These are kind of princess-y, but not all of them are "soft and floral":
Arrabella, Ava, Camellia, Thalia, Lucilla, Lynessa, Sepherene, Senna, Evelyn, Ophelia, Jessamine, Illia, Rosalind, Marcella, Imogen
Last edited by Maverick on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 pm
Cole says...

Great advice Lumi. Thanks for the help guys. This is really challenging.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:46 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

I just want to say that this is the most adorable thing ever and this girl is so lucky to have you.

boys, take note.

When I used to play Star Wars: The Old Republic, my Jedi's name was Ailene (Ay-leen). I've always wanted to use it as fantasy character name since, but if you so chose, you have my blessing.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:34 pm
EscaSkye says...

How about Lucia? It means "graceful light".
Not anymore.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:40 pm
erilea says...

I think you are wonderful for doing this.
Anyhow, my ideas:
Laria
Diana
Camelera (Ca-MEL-e-ra)
Lumiroa (Li-MI-ro-a)
Kataren
All of these are pretty abnormal, so, sorry...
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

I don't think you'd need a long time to choose a name. Others have their suggestions, so I think that's enough. I'm pretty sure your girl is going to love whatever-name the princess has as long as the story is awesome, which by the look of it, would be. I think it's better to just choose the best name out of the suggestions here and focus more on the story.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:27 am
View Likes
Cole says...

I think I got it, actually. Nell.

@StellaThomas - you had me with Nura and Necia. I knew after I saw them I wanted an N name because there's a softness to them.

I love Nell because it isn't syrupy, fussy, or incredibly high-brow. And it also includes the lovely "el" ending, like in the names Rapunzel and Giselle, which are Darian's favorite princesses.

I think it's going to be Nell. And maybe as a nickname for something like Nelena, Nelina, Nelida, Neluna, or Nelindy. Something. If you have any full-name ideas that would produce a "Nell" nickname, let me know.

Now that that's done, I can get to the other names. :wink:

Thanks guys!

(@Lightsong - names are a game-changer; don't undervalue the importance of the perfect character name!)

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:43 am
Lightsong says...

Eh, as long as the name isn't bad, I don't think it affects much. :'D But yeah, problem's solved! :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:27 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

What a lovely idea this is. You're really great, Cole! And I love the name Nell, and what's more, I love that you came up with it yourself in the end!

As for longer names with Nell as a nickname, I started thinking about something beginning with "Nella" as Nella is a Finnish girl name (I don't know if you have it as well). The name could even end with "nella", like Petronella (except not that because that's not a very nice name), but maybe it would be even nicer if it started with it. I thought of something like Nellary, Nellarose, Nellarind, Nellarine (pronounced nella-reen). I don't know why but somehow I like the "r" sound!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:27 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Nell is also an old fashioned nickname for names like Ellen and Eleanor! So you could play with names along those lines - Eleanora (or Leonora, although I don't know how you'd make that connection). Or make up a name like Demette suggests (Nellarose is really pretty). Or use it for a name like Anielle or something. The world is your oyster!

Also, I also really liked those 'n' names. I know a few girls called Noor, and I actually have come to appreciate what a lovely sounding name it is even though it looks a little funny written down.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore