z

Young Writers Society

Really, really awkward question.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:16 am
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Hey all!

So, I have literally done all the research I can on this subject but I still can't seem to understand how get to through writing this certain scene without making myself blush and feel like this scene is horrible. I'm trying to write an almost-sex scene between my two male characters, Styxx and Ryder. Not a full sex scene, mind you, because Ryder isn't quite ready and this is a book for older teenagers. And, even though I know most of them read dirtier stuff than what I'm writing, I know what publishers will say. My question is...how do you get through these scenes without blushing and feeling you're a terrible writer? I really need tips on how to get through this because this scene is kind of pivotal to their relationship.

Shadow.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:23 am
carbonCore says...

When you feel your writing is terrible, it's probably because it is. Re-read, see what works, pull it out for the next version, rewrite. Repeat until you don't dry-vomit at your work.

If no matter the attempts, you don't like the scene, remember that countless sexual relationships have been written without writing a single line about sex. A strong way to indicate that it's a sexual relationship is through implication: they wake up the next morning next to each other in their bed. It's clear what happened based on that context; if it isn't, make them naked, and it will be.
_

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 am
Prokaryote says...

Read a lot of erotica.

And if you can't stomach that, why are you writing sex scenes anyway?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

It's not like it's the sex scene itself that makes me so...embarrassed. Hell I read enough gay fanfiction (and I mean the kind of stuff that would make the most perverted person blush) and that never makes me blush or embarrassed. It's just that I don't think I'm writing it right. Maybe I'll try to re-write it until I feel it's okay. If re-writing doesn't help, I'll just use context. Thanks!
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:42 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

The scene likely won't come out properly as long as you're trying to box it into a category of a sex scene or any form of snapshot of a relationship that has a million and one tropes and pitfalls associated with it. The ultimate deciding factor in whether or not it's a good scene is whether or not you focus on the characters instead of the buzzwords of that particular genre of scene.

The key you've given us is that one of them isn't ready. I say you latch onto that thought and use it to keep yourself afloat. There are a number of outcomes that stem from a tired scene like that:

1. Relationship friction
2. Resentment for person B pushing person A without them being ready
3. Destruction of the relationship if person B literally just does not take no for an answer, as well as the fallout and reconciliation that comes into being when rape is written
4. An actual, healthy talk about where the two are in their relationship and what speed they need to recede to
5. A number of comedic outcomes stemming from general physical "NOPE"ing here and there--because that never gets old
6. Anything else you could jerk out of the situation

Ultimately, you're the author and the owner of the characters. You know the inner-workings of their minds and you know what they are and aren't ready for. While cC may be a bit right that embarrassment can be an indicator that your writing isn't where it needs to be, I think you also need to be assured that low esteem is a real thing that happens very often. Being embarrassed of things you create isn't rare, and it shouldn't dissuade you from continuing.

Ultimately, if you want counsel for the scene, shoot me a PM and I'll give you advice based on what's present and what's been revealed about the guys so far in your story.

Keep truckin'.

Ty
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault