z

Young Writers Society

First Chapter

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:20 pm
artybirdy says...

My first chapter introduces both of my main characters and shows their contrasting personalities. If you had a choice, would you read something like that or skip it because it's boring? I, personally, prefer action-packed openings and I would've done one, but my plot called for this type of first chapter. What are your opinions on this?
Last edited by artybirdy on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:55 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Honestly, it depends on how you write it. After all, there's no "right" or "wrong" way to start or write a novel, but there's usually a "more effective" and "less effective" way to do things depending on the author, their writing style, their characters, and the pacing and plot of their novel.

So let me ask you a few questions, kick around a ball a bit:

Does this chapter only have the purpose of setting up the contrast in their personalities? Or does it serve the purpose of unfolding the characters to the audience as well?

Does the main plot matter in the first chapter? Would you gain more to the story by doing a slow-burning introduction or jumping in, in medias res?

What kind of conflict (large or small) is driving the characters in the beginning? What are their motives, their short-term goals, their over-arching goals? Could you introduce some of that in the first chapter to set them up a little, or have you already done so?

Personally, I write more slow-burning introductions; only in one of my novels does the main plot really start by the end of chapter 1, and that's because chapter 1 is 6k words long. I tend to write some kind of introductory chapter, if only in the first draft, because sometimes a cold start can be really difficult.

Ah, to add to what I said above: What draft of the novel is this? If it's an early draft, you can always review and revise your opening later (and you probably will, to some degree).
stay off the faerie paths

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 pm
artybirdy says...

@Arkhaion

Thank you for your response!

It sets up the contrast in their personalities and to, basically, establish their characters, e.g. their goal in life, their beliefs, etc.

The main plot’s launched in the next chapter as a result of a character’s actions. I think I’ll gain more by a “slow-burning introduction” because there’s no small or large conflict present to drive the characters. The first chapter’s more to show the reader a part of their daily life, e.g. their interactions and dealings with people and that's a major factor that's later highlighted more.

It’s an early draft, still in its initial stages. I’m aware I shouldn’t be as concerned about it, but my entire plot depends on the set up of this chapter (at least I think so), and I think moving it around afterwards might disturb the basic structure. Hope that makes sense.
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:32 pm
View Likes
Deskro says...

Have you considered writing a prologue? I know the general consensus is that prologues should be avoided like the plague, but a good one can set your story up easily if done well. Prologues can also offer some flexibility in the fact that you can use a writing style that differentiates from the rest of your book while also being able to fiddle with time periods. Be careful not to simply make it an info dump however. Good luck! :)

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

As Ark said, there is not a right or wrong way to start off a story. I personally like stories that introduce the characters in the first couple of chapters, and then by chapter 3-5 there's some kind of action. If by that point there's no action (even if it's just a little), I tend to get bored. But a first chapter that's basically a tool to introduce your characters is fine! It's really hard to find that distinction between when the action is overwhelming and when it's underwhelming in the first chapter, so I think I'd say it might even be better to stick to a less-actiony first chapter. However, I haven't read your chapter so I can't say for sure.

Ark brings up some really good points.
For some more building questions:
Are we going to learn anything in this chapter that is imperative to the plot later, or are you just using it as an intro? We often learn more about characters through their actions more than if an author is like "yo, martha likes to bake bread on thursdays and that annoys the heck out of martin".
Is the jump from the introduction to action going to be immediate or gradual? A gradual build up would be if a secret spy was going around her life until she got a call from her boss, then in the second chapter she's going to see her boss and in the third she starts her assignment. Immediate would be if the first chapter acted like a prologue, and it was just setting up the setting-- and the second chapter started the action immediately.

There is no wrong answer to any of these questions-- or to your question, really. Just write what you feel and I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

The reason a boat sinks isn't the water around it. It sinks when water gets into it. Don't let what's happening around you weigh you down.
— dalisay