z

Young Writers Society

Fan Fiction: What's Your Take?

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:29 pm
mfoley says...

I've recently considered getting into the fan fiction world, but I'd like to get some opinions on the issue:
1. Obviously, there is a huge stigma around fan fiction. Many say that it's not "real" writing, likely because the vast majority of the literature is, to put it gently, sub-par. However, I do know that as a child, I would often conjure up offshoot stories in my head. That became one of the ways my writer's brain formed. Furthermore, I can see how taking a story that already has an established setting and cast can allow writers to hone certain aspects of the craft, particularly plot development and deepening characterization. What do you guys think?
2. For those of you who do write fan fiction, do you mention those works when querying? And those who don't write fan fiction, do you think that would be wise? Part of my brain tells me that so long as you're confident that the work is good, and/or the work has attained some level of popularity on a fan fiction site, you could include it in your portfolio. On the other hand, some editors and agents may be put off by seeing fan fiction mentioned in a submission or query, either because fan fiction is almost always amateur, or simply due to the stigma.

What's the word on fan fiction, guys?
-- Michael F.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm
Mea says...

Personally, I think writing fanfiction can be great for writers who are just starting out. It gives them motivation to write, and it can help them hone their skills.

To be more specific, writing fanfiction is great for practicing specific elements of writing. You've already got a full world and a cast of characters, so instead of having to brainstorm all that, you can spend your time working on how to write a good plot, or any other subsets of writing.

Fanfiction is also good for learning how to write character voices. (This is what I use it for.) You don't have to make up the character, but you can practice writing good dialogue and character development. You could also practice foreshadowing, or description, or anything like that. Because you don't have to make up everything yourself, it can free you to work on other elements of writing that you aren't very good at.

I have no idea whether or not I would include my fanfiction in a portfolio. It would probably depend on what I was going to submit it to.

Plus, it's just fun. :D

However, I'm kind of strict in what sort of fanfiction I enjoy. I don't like it when it takes too many liberties with the canon material, especially if it messes up the characters, and I really don't like shipping or slash fics.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 pm
Carlito says...

I agree with Meandbooks that it's a fun way to practice the craft. I wrote a lot of fanfiction when I was younger and I know it was instrumental in helping me develop as a writer. I think they're really fun to write and have all of the benefits that Meandbooks already described. There's nothing wrong with fanfiction!

As for querying - agents want to see three things in a query letter:
1. Your pitch
2. Info about the book
3. Info about you

The absolute most important thing in any query letter is the pitch. This is the bulk of your query and should always be the main focus.

Info about the book should be a sentence or two - TITLE, genre, word count. Any comparable books. Maybe include if it's told in a unique way (multi-POV, structure stuff) or if the characters are diverse (but that is also one sentence or could be combined with the other info).

Info about you should also be very brief. The big thing they want here is any publishing experience you have. I wouldn't mention that you write fanfictions or that you have some popular fanfictions on x website. The ONLY time you mention anything you've written (other than what you're querying about) is if something you've written has won some sort of national award or contest or if you've self-published something. That's honestly the only thing they will care about. And if you don't have any publishing experience that's okay! Keep your bio really brief - mine is literally one line: "I am a graduate student studying x in city."

And just to clarify, you're asking about querying for a book that isn't a fanfiction, right? If you're trying to submit fanfiction to an agent or editor, I don't think you'll have a lot of luck. I've been perusing agency websites and agent wishlists for years and I've never seen anyone looking for a fanfiction. Many agents like retellings which is sort of in the same vein as fanfiction (you're using another story as inspiration) but you put a completely new spin on it and don't use any original characters.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:06 am
mfoley says...

Yes, I was speaking of querying outside of fan fiction. I wouldn't expect you to find an agent for it, as making money on another's intellectual property would be grounds for a lawsuit.
-- Michael F.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 pm
Kale says...

I personally would advise against mentioning any fanfiction you've written, no matter how popular it is, in any queries for the simple fact that fanfiction is unprofessional, and your query should be as professional as possible. You're trying to persuade publishers to buy your writing, and so the only credentials you should include are published works which show that your writing sells and is therefore worth investing in. Fanfiction cannot sell, and including it in a query risks giving the impression that you're not above profiting off another writer's work.

Aside from that, writing it and sharing it with other fans is fun, so I don't object to fanfiction in general.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:33 pm
LordZeus says...

Personally, I love fanfiction, especially on books that I know and love! I'm writing a fanfic on the Percy Jackson world, but I'm starting out by publishing only my original works here.
1.I think fanfics are real writing, as although you already have a world and characters, you still have to think up a good plot, and introduce new characters to make it yours.
2. I wouldn't mention the work that I'm writing my fanfic on, as those who have read it will know it, and those who haven't will have the satisfaction of seeing what is to them, a completely new and original work. That is, not mentioning the work will allow a larger group of readers get satisfaction from reading it.

Personally, I write fanfics because they are fun to do, and you can imagine yourself in the worlds of your favourite books and heroes. It's fun to share them with other fans :)
-Zeus

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind