z

Young Writers Society

Enough Conflict?

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm
View Likes
TigersMoon says...

In my idea the main characters are being hunted down by a company (because they have powers), and are also digging to find out that company's secret, so they have twice as big a target on their head. Also, the MC can't use her power without having an anxiety attack.
Is that enough conflict?
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

It's hard to gauge what's "enough" conflict. In a creative writing lecture I learned that often beginner writers don't put enough into their plots/worldbuilding, and you probably shouldn't be worried about adding more in because chances are, you won't overload. There are some people who go waaaay too far and it's like super mega info overload, but for the most part I agree that I see stories that are more simple than they need to be.

I try to remember that there are multiple kinds of conflict, and they aren't mutually exclusive. Too often I read stories where the MC's only worry is The Plot. Sure The Plot is a big deal, but real people usually have lots on their minds. A big one that I think is neglected is relationship conflicts with the other characters. That could mean friction or dislike, but it might also mean having to keep a secret from a best friend, being on the same side but having opposing views about how to go about doing something or different morals, or being from such different backgrounds they don't really get each other.

In your description you mentioned one source of external conflict (being hunted), and one source of internal conflict (anxiety attacks). My gut is that you could do more. Maybe some smaller side things to worry about. External examples might be that while being hunted, they also have to deal with social stigmas/discrimination (eg some physical feature they were born with that has cultural significance, like blue eyes or something), or some other group wants them for some other reason, putting them in the middle of a struggle between two big powers. Some internal conflict could be relationship conflict between the MCs, or something like ideological/religious values influencing what they can and can't do to escape, or forcing them to make questionable decisions that they later regret.

I guess my answer to your question is that it's hard to say without seeing how it's written, but it's probably not a bad idea to come up with more.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:58 pm
View Likes
Lefty says...

It sounds pretty interesting to me. I like that she has to have a panic attack. That's really cool! Puts a nice twist on things. It's hard to know without actually reading it, but I think there is enough, although it couldn't hurt to add a little more too. Maybe some kind of smaller conflict with a family member or a friend. Maybe they broke a law to get away from the company (either accidentally or intentionally) and the cops could be chasing them too? Just a thought. But awesome idea so far. I'd love to read it!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:12 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

Hi Tigersmoon.

Your idea has potential. My main concern at this point is that I feel I've encountered a few stories where people are being hunted down because they have powers, so it's important you put a fresh new spin on this.

The anxiety attacks are interesting. You'll have to set it up right to show how they incapacitate your character, so the reader understands why she's not using her powers when she needs to. Lots of room for conflict here, if your character has these powers she can't use for the majority of the story. If she finally overcomes this problem just in time to use her powers for the climax, all the better.
I wrote the above just for you.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm
TigersMoon says...

Thanks guys.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye