z

Young Writers Society

Magic Systems

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:30 pm
PRANC1NGJ35T3R says...

:| Hello I'm new to this social network, trying to dabble in fantasy writing despite having multiple good ideas (which I'll probably discuss at a later date) I'm finding it difficult to structure or add to them. One of the main problems I'm having is a potential magic system for the novel as magic is going to be central to the world but also constrained (minimized usage) I currently have 3 original ideas, please give feedback on how to build on them or if there are any preferences:
1) To use magic you must use up part of a depleting natural resource (to be named similar to oil), consider the corruption of those distributing it (how society could be shaped by the threat of supplies of this resource being withheld).
2) To use magic you must consume a type of enhancement drug, the catch is either you build a 'tolerance' to the drug so more has to be taken to perform a spell or you need to continue using the drug in order to sustain your very being.
3) To use magic you must draw upon your skin runes (a magical tatoo) the more of a certain rune there is or the larger a particular rune the more powerful a spell is, by the way you can draw a variety of runes to give a larger range of attack options (perhaps the limiting factor to this system on top of running out of skin would be the rune has to be drawn with some sort of toxin, by drawing a rune you remove 1 week from your remaining lifespan).
Milton Berle - 'If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.'

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:35 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Hey there @PRANC1NGJ35T3R (that is extremely difficult to type...)! Welcome to YWS! I hope you'll have a wonderful time with us, and that you might capture other users' hearts with your writing, or help others achieve their dreams.

Anyway, back to your question. I like your three ideas (especially number three), but here is another suggestion.

What if everyone is born with a magical marking (or rune or whatever), which shows their potential for using magic. As they use magic, it can affect them in various ways (depending on the type of magic used), and the mark slowly fades. What happens when it is gone is up to you as writer, but maybe they can't get it back (thus losing their potential)
The only way to "recharge" the mark can be something like a ritual, or killing a loved one, or even by having the only recharging mechanism in possession of a powerful organization, and people need to pay gold or do a service for this organization to gain a certain amount of "potential"

This is just some quick idea I thought up, so it's up to you what you will do with it. Good luck in your endeavors.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:44 pm
PRANC1NGJ35T3R says...

Interesting suggestion, it merges the 1st and 3rd concept whilst also turning this company into a antagonistic figure (albeit secondary). I'll keep this idea in mind.
Milton Berle - 'If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.'

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:16 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Glad I could be of assistance!
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 pm
NoahBaker says...

In my book the magic system isn't really where you have to get it somehow or you have to replenish it, it's more where you are born with magic, then you must learn how to harness it. Using magic consumes your energy, and if you use too much to faint. But to enhance the magic system, I thought what if there were different types of wizards, and they can only use certain types of magic. I have thought of a few, like a pyromancer, telemancer, summoner, necromancer and some others. Maybe if you did a system like that, then you can incorporate several main characters without each one using the same magic. :D

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian