z

Young Writers Society

New story idea

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 pm
deleted5 says...

Hey everyone!
I've been brooding over a new story idea I had. It's about the world twenty years from now where all the cities are controlled by a central operating system. Everything in them is linked: from electricity to people's personal details. This new system claims to be safe but can be, as with any computer system, be hacked into. Enter Damion Grey, the protagonist. Sixteen years of age at the start of the novel is a budding hacker who has been taught to exploit the system by his tutor for good. His tutor however has attracted the attention of one of the cities gang's for his for hire hacker jobs against them and orders an attack on his family. Damion happens to hear the phone conversation using certain programs he uses (don't want to go into detail here, I know the specifics) but has not learnt enough yet to stop them. He calls the police and runs over in an attempt to stop them but is not quick enough. The tutor's family including Damion's girlfriend (Lauren Stoke) were all killed. No action is taken against the gang by the police. Damion swears to continue learning how to use the system to bring down the gang that did that and help people in the city and bring down corruption in the law. The rest of the story continues a year later.

So basically I need opinions on this story idea. I am aware of the research that will need to be done for this topic and not all of it will be realistic.
Thanks,
-Sushi
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat May 30, 2015 2:43 pm
Kale says...

The one big question I have about the basic premise is how does crime go unpunished? Since everything is linked together, evidence would be readily available to law enforcement and anyone else with access (like the hackers). Even if you go with the police being corrupt angle, Damion would still have the ability to gather and release evidence to the general public to show that the gang are guilty and highlight the corruption of the police.

The police not taking action against the gang is a pretty big hole in the premise, unless you can justify it somehow. Since hacking the system is a pretty big element of the story, you could have the gang wipe the databases of all incriminating evidence and even falsify evidence of a different culprit.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat May 30, 2015 7:23 pm
deleted5 says...

First of all thank you for replying. Secondly, I like the idea of wiping the databases and I think I'll try that. Originally I was going to go with the general public is too scared of retaliation to protest but I see what you mean. Thanks!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung