Young Writers Society

Castle Sneaks

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm
View Likes
comrie says...

Hey guys,

I need some help please! If someone were to sneak in a castle (regularly), how do you think they would do it? Especially in people's rooms? I was thinking through some window, but I feel like it's a bit unrealistic? Maybe I'm overthinking this... I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

- comrie ~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 11, 2015 7:17 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

There are a few problems with sneaking into a castle—one of them being that most castles have surrounding walls, as they're meant to be fortified homes for those that might be attacked. Another being that most castles have guards on those walls, or, if they don't have walls, then they have guards in plenty of places. In times of peace, they might have less guards around, but it would still be a risk.

To answer your question proper, it really depends on how the castle is built. However, probably the most plausible way would be to have your character dress poor and cut through the servants' area—they could say they're new in town or something, and they're working for someone, making a delivery. Or that they're the servant of some visiting noble or the like.

It's not the most impressive/heroic way, and it's risky, because it involves interacting with people, but it's probably the most certain way of getting someone inside a castle if you don't want to figure out a very specific secret passage or something (and then figure out how your character knows about this very specific secret passage).

Concerning getting to someone's room, that could be trickier if there were guards inside, or it could be the easiest part—especially if your character plays the part of visiting servant, because then they could probably pass along to the private chambers without anyone giving them a second glance.

As for other ways of potentially sneaking in, they could try a window or something, but that would probably involve climbing, and that would give them a flashing neon sign calling for guards unless they're small, wear clothes the same color as the stones, and climb at night. If they do try climbing, it might make more sense for them to climb to the top level of a tower and work their way down—after all, they were already at the top, so, to anyone they meet in the halls, that means that they were there to begin with and they belong in the castle.

There are probably a few other ways, depending on how your castle is built and maintained, so I'd probably take a few minutes to think about that before deciding on any one of these.
stay off the faerie paths

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 pm
comrie says...

I didn't consider the castle's design at all, but I'm now realizing just how important that is - considering what I'm trying to figure out. I have not thought that far into it. Definitely going to spend some time thinking about it now.

Your ideas are cool. I think the mingling works nice, especially since this character isn't trying to be flashy in any way, but I think I'd need to plan more. It's okay though. It'll be good for me, stretching that (nearly nonexistent) muscle. Also, I think I'd have to rethink the character's motives and ways in general. It's okay. Stretching that muscle and all.

The room thing is what's confusing me. It's actually someone's bedroom, and I assume most guards are posted outside the room (like when the person is sleeping), but my assumption could be wrong. I didn't think of it being an easy way with the whole visiting servant thing (really cool idea). I'll ponder on that for a bit.

I did consider the secret passageway and did actually figure out how the character knows about this, but I dumped the idea when I started confusing myself with the technical stuff. I think I'll revisit this idea though along with others you've introduced.

Thanks for replying and for the awesome ideas. You've definitely given me something to chew about!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

As for guards being outside the bedroom, that's actually probably unlikely unless the person is A) sick (and important), or B) paranoid or has paranoid guardians/hosts.

In the first case, guards would probably be posted to keep guests away from them, and in the second case, they (or their guardians/hosts) would post the guards themselves, probably with explicit instructions ("don't let anyone in", "don't let anyone I don't know in", or something the like). If they aren't either of these things, depending on the kind of world you're working with, then it's likely that the guards have much better things to be doing than watching someone's bedroom door all day or night.

Glad I could help!
stay off the faerie paths

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 pm
View Likes
FireBird99 says...

I'm not sure if anyone has said it or not but depending on how the castle is built you could have secret passage ways leading to the rooms...a lot of old castles in books have this.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

I'm not quiet. I'm just plotting.

The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.
— Richard Price