z

Young Writers Society

help needed in thinking...

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 pm
evil1ord says...

Okay i am basically over-heating my brain here and i need you help, first is i need a name for my book, i mean it's just that my naming sense sucks. The name i gave was 'Shadow Light' you could find it in the books section and i know it sounds crappy but it kinda popped into my mind. One of the readers (friend) suggested rise of savior or something, but it kind of doesn't sound right so help me here. Next is help me create one character, yes one character. Just the name is find but make sure its a cool name. On to the next one, what would you like in a fantasy, action and romance book? Kinda stuck in this. Majority wins they say, so the readers opinion is highly valued. Thanks for helping.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:22 pm
Evander says...

Hey, evil1ord!

Creating a title for a book is often difficult, and there are some threads for testing out the waters. Title Feedback this one is pretty active, and you can help other people with choosing titles as well. Titles are sometimes difficult to pick out, so don't be discouraged. Some people wait until they end their novel, and read through it to see if a reoccurring theme happens.

There are a lot of pretty cool names out there. However, some of my favourites include: Marshall, Cordelia, Reg. Hopefully those are cool enough for you. :P

What I would like to see in an fantasy/action/romance book is representation. There doesn't seem to be enough in the popular media, and that's really important. (For example, more well written MOGAI and POC characters that aren't used as tokens.) I'd personally like to see a twist on the chosen one trope, or no use of that trope at all. Magic and potions are also extremely cool in my opinion.

Hope this helps!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 am
evil1ord says...

Thanks for your opinion! Really appreciate it and the names ok too I'm gonna see whether there'll be others so that I can choose more. Representaion? You mean the characters need to be more appealing? More story time on their side? Here's a huge spoiler I'm giving you, there'll be a huge plot twist awaiting the readers.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:58 pm
Octaclepassing says...

Um, can you tell what the story is about for this book of yours? If I had an idea about this world and what was it about then I can churn up some titles.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri May 01, 2015 1:32 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

1. Don't name your story before you have a plot because plots change so much you're probably going to have to change the title anyway before you're finished.
2. Create your plot before you start your characters. Where is this story set? Is it an alternate universe or is it set in history/modern day? Is it a religious story? Character names can change depending on the answers to these questions. If it's set in modern day, you have the option for more names than in 16th century England, when most of the names were straight out of the bible.
3. Write what you want to write. You don't have to restrict yourself to what four people say they like to read, because everyone's different. (And for the record, restricting yourself to one genre is just that, restricting. You could combine all three genres you listed to make an awesome story.)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems you don't really have much of an idea, and want us to do the work for you. Unfortunately, that's not how writing works. You need to sit down with yourself, and decide what YOU want to write and how YOU want the story to go. There's no rule that says you have to listen to anyone. If you're not writing what you like, then you're not going to finish it or you're never going to be happy with it. That wouldn't be fun, would it? Write a good story, with good sound characters, and the readers will eventually follow.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri May 01, 2015 3:04 pm
birk says...

I have pretty much agree with everything Spark said. It doesn't sound like you've got all too much plot or writing down on paper yet, and if you're already struggling like this, then you got a long way to go, writing wise.

However, I wouldn't necessary say that you shouldn't create any characters before you've decided on your story. Of course, a lot of superficial traits, like your character's name and so forth, will definitely be determined by what kind of story you've got going on. But I've had characters I've come up with stuck in my head for very long stretches of time before I've figured out the perfect story to put it in. Or rather, almost build around. ;)

Still though, your story does have first priority. It's where everything else should come from.

(And for the record, restricting yourself to one genre is just that, restricting. You could combine all three genres you listed to make an awesome story.)
This is completely true! (In fact, for some reason, it got me thinking of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which is science fiction with religious undertones. It adds a lot to it.)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

It's a pity the dictionary has only one definition of beauty. In my world, there are 7.9 billion types of it- all different and still beautiful.
— anne27