z

Young Writers Society

A New Novel Idea

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm
mephistophelesangel says...

I would be glad if anyone could provide some opinion on this new idea for a novel.

Title : The Sun of a Midnight Gray

Settings : There are three continents in the world : Dawn, Dusk and Midnight. They all use the same language. The largest percentage of Parasites are found in Midnight, but it is still only about a thousand. Parasites are stronger than an average human, yet they are largely outnumbered and therefore oppressed. They live under a peace treaty, which states that as soon as a Parasite kills a human, the treaty will be broken and Parasites will be taken away all basic human rights.
The continent of Midnight has three leaders, the God, Goddess and Angel. The God lives in the center of the continent, the city of Umbra. The Goddess lives at the foot of the continent, Pall. The Angel lives at the top of the continent, Myth. The God is the ultimate power, then the Goddess and the Angel. They all have massive armies under them.
Dawn and Dusk are mostly filled with nomadic people, animals and no real leaders. There are no cities, but people living in the nature. Only Midnight has leaders and cities.

Parasite — a term that refers to people who possess an ability to transform/use/move a part of their body in a certain, unnatural way. One also has the option to pass on his ability by feeding the body part that he can transform to another person. But that doesn’t usually happen because then, the Parasite would have to live without the body part for his entire life.
A Parasite can easily be distinguished from normal people. They have white hair and eyes. Also, most of them can’t cry. If a Parasite cries, the colors in their eyes are slowly sucked out until there is completely no color in their eyes (but they can still see). If their eyes become completely white, they can’t cry anymore because there are no colors that can be sucked out. Lastly, they have abnormal strength in their arms and legs.
Because of their abilities, Parasites are feared and distinguished, normally. It’s nearly impossible for them to get a job or blend into the society. So most Parasites live outside the city borders, where there is a giant desert that stretches across Midnight. The desert receives little to no sunlight, but it is never completely dark or light either. So the sand always looks like many shades of gray. It has the name, the Gris Desert, and it is most commonly known as the Gray Desert.
While most parasites live in the Gris, a very small percentage of them reside in the cities. If they do, whether they know it or want it, they are followed by soldiers, disguised as civilians. (Soldiers don’t follow Parasites that live in the Gris because it’s almost impossible to find directions in there).
The remaining Parasites are a part of the government, under a promise that the government will provide a place to live, money, food and protection. Also, the government has promised that if the peace treaty is broken, the Parasites that work for the government will be safe. Those Parasites work separate from the army, and instead only come into action when a problem with Parasites arise (protest, attacks, etc). The Parasites that work with the government usually are stronger than normal Parasites, and have higher senses.
It is not largely known, but if a Parasite eats the body part of another Parasite (with the ability), that Parasite gains the ability of the other Parasite. The government Parasites feed on other Parasites, so they’re stronger.

Plot : Ren is a Parasite who lives in a city. When a Parasite kills the Angel, the peace treaty is broken. Del, who Ren believed to be his friend, reveals himself as a soldier and tries to kill Ren. After he manages to escape, Ren runs into the Gris Desert, where there are no roads and no destinations. When he finds out the secret of the God, who rules the center of the continent of Midnight, he'll have to face the extinction of his race.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 pm
View Likes
AttackOfTheFlash says...

This idea sounds AWESOME! I'd read it.

The idea of enchanted humans has been around in books for a long time, but with every (slightly) overdone theme each unique character has their own special story to tell. I will say that I haven't heard of any superhuman race that are similar to the Parasites, though. Which I am quite uncultured when it comes to science fiction so some sci-fi junky may be able to say, "Hey, the parasites sound like this one species from a book..."

Overall, I would definitely read it and I haven't personally heard of an idea too similar. Good luck and happy writing!
Are you living or simply existing?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I really don't like that you call these stronger people parasites. It makes them sound like a disease, not powerful people. If your main character is one, you're going to spend the entire novel calling him a parasite. The dictionary definition of parasite is: an organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense. That is not what you're describing to me. You're using a word that the majority of people know, and they're either going to be confused or annoyed that your definition is not the same as the actual definition.

What I see here is a lot of work on the setting, but not a lot of work on the plot. Since you didn't share with us about the plot at all, I'm going to ask you some general questions. You might have the answers to some of them, but by what you posted it doesn't look like it.
Why are the parasites so largely outnumbered? Why are they oppressed? Since they're more powerful than normal humans, shouldn't they be able to overthrow them with no worries? Can a normal human become a parasite and vice versa? Are parasites born or made? Why did that one parasite decide to kill the Angel? How did they manage to kill the angel? Do the three kingdoms (God, Goddess, Angel) have anything to do with each other or are they completely seperate? After the angel falls is their kingdom going to fall apart or be okay? How does Gris find out the secret of the God? What does he do with that information? Does he have any friends or is this a one person journey? How does he feel about the angel being dead? Is he happy, or sad? If God is, I assume, corrupt, does that mean the other two were as well, and that's why the Angel is dead?

You don't have to answer these if you don't want too here, but I'd suggest you do for yourself. And if I were you, I would think really hard about whether you truly want your main character's race to be called parasites for your entire novel.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke