z

Young Writers Society

Help me write! (Poetry)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:18 pm
OrionRising says...

Hi everyone! I've been a little lost in my own mind lately. I've just heard back from colleges and now I have a month to decide where to go and to decided if I can afford my favorite school or not. Anyways, I've been really stressed about this and its been the only thing on my mind. This has created quite the situation of writers block for me. So here is what I was hoping...

I need you guys to give me prompts. I prefer more open-ended prompts though. So if you could give me a word or a phrase which I could write about. You can add a little embellishment, like what that word or phrase means to you, if you'd like. I can't promise my writing will establish the same kind of connotation though. Anyway here is an example of what I want:

Word or Phrase: Grasshopper's popping

Personal Embellishment: To me grasshoppers have always been nostalgic. We used to catch them in the grass and hold them in our hands so they'd pop and thump against the top of spherical-clasped hands around them.

If you post here with ideas I will send you a message when I post my poem so you can see it. I will thank you excessively. For some samples of my writing either roam this site with a search for my name or visit my tumblr: Arbitrary Literary Miracle

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:57 am
Apricity says...

You want prompts. Is that it?

Prompts are best when they come from your own heart, and because you wanted open ones. *gestures to your street, neighbourhood and town* you have all the inspirations you need in the world. Go out into the world and observe with a keen eye. That being said, I do know how frustrating it can be. So I'll give you three prompts. Because three is a magical number.

Word or phrase: Smog-filled skies

Spoiler! :
Personal embellishments: This is your challenge, it doesn't evoke an unpleasant imagery or connotation. This was the sky of my childhood years, I spent a lot of times riding my bike, exploring narrow alleys with my cousins under such a sky.

Word or phrase: lemongrass in the shape of ginger

Spoiler! :
Personal embellishments: I never said I'll give you easy prompts. Lemongrass and ginger signifies a mixture of different things, it accompanied me through sleepless nights when I couldn't keep my eyes opened. It accompanied on sunny afternoon as I flipped through the pages of a favourite book. Have fun with this one.

Word or phrase: Cards

Personal embellishment:

Spoiler! :
I have all sort of cards. Library cards. Gift cards. Student cards. Birthday cards. Playing cards. It's all up for interpretation, this last one I leave up to you.

That was fun. Thank you.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:24 am
Ashkitten83 says...

Write 20 descriptive words quickly down on a piece of paper, and now incorporate them into a 500 word story or 20 line poem. :)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
— Abraham Heschel