z

Young Writers Society

I lost it.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:02 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

Hey guys! So I've been gone a while...and in the time I've been gone something majorly depressing has happened. I lost all 25 almost 30 thousand words of Neverland's Curse as well as everything else I had written on my other novels. It's horrible and I literally just sat in my boyfriend's arms and sobbed pitifully for over an hour after I realized it. (It was saved on TWO flash drives and they both malfunctioned and corrupted all the files.) So...my question is...has this happened to anyone else? And should I restart or just come up with another idea? I'm completely lost here guys.
Colly <3
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:21 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

This happened to me about a year and a half ago—I had a disc that had everything I had written from age 12 to age 16. (It was on a disc because my old laptop was malfunctioning and wouldn't recognize a flash drive.) I even tested it in the desktop to make sure that another computer would be able to read it, for when I got a new laptop, so I knew I would still have everything that I'd written in case I ever wanted to go back to it and look at the old details.

Somehow, in the five months between my old laptop dying and me getting a new one, the disc got wiped. Completely wiped. I was keeping it in a jewel case on my desk, and when I put it into my new laptop, it read it like it was a blank disc—"drag files here to insert", "0 memory used". I freaked out. I went to test it on the desktop, but it read like a blank disc there, too, and I was just sitting there trying not to cry because basically everything I wrote in those 4 years was digital.

The point of all that: I totally get where you're coming from, it's horrible, but people have different ways of coping. For me, I coped with saying "well, those ideas all sucked anyway", moving on, and revamping the ideas as they came back to me in my head; for other people, they might try to recover or rewrite the ideas that really mattered to them.

And I think that's what this comes down to. Do you really, really want to tell these stories? Because it's going to take dedication to rewrite them (probably even more so than it was to write them in the first place), and it's going to take time and patience and being able to fight the feeling of not progressing. It's not impossible, not by a long stretch of the imagination, but recovery (of any sort) is never easy, either.

No matter what you do, I wish you the best. <3
stay off the faerie paths

11 Reviews

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

Thanks! I know I'm going to rewrite Neverland's Curse because it's the one story that I think could actually go somewhere. But the rest of them I think I'll just trash them. I wasn't working on them very hard anyways. Besides, NC is the idea that just...it gets my blood racing somehow. So I'll work on that one. Thanks! :)
Colly. <3
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:13 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I know that feeling because I once lost a part of my novel, but then I also found/recovered some of it back. The thing is, if you love you novel you will rewrite it, and it will be only for the better. You will improve,write a better draft, and maybe even discover something else about the novel. Just keep your head up, even if this tragic accident happened-losing most of your novel. Look to the future not to the past and always keep on writing and never stop! Don't let this discourage you <3
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 pm
deleted5 says...

I use a flash drive, SD card, computer hard drive and YWS to store it. If you want my advice try finding an online storage website. They are near impossible to lose data on and some are free up to a certain memory.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:54 pm
kayfortnight says...

^Google drive. Saved on the cloud so if any of the physical hardware malfunctions, I can just log onto a different computer and there everything is, and it saves my work as I go so I don't have to remember to hit save every few hundred words. I'm in love with it.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:03 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I totes agree with @kayfortnight - Google Docs is awesome for saving, it saves automatically and you can access it on any device anytime,anywhere that you have internet! Go Google Docs!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:56 am
Firestarter says...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Losing work is always awful.

I only write on Google Drive, as it saves automatically and is available anywhere, or Scrivener, which I have set up to auto back up to Dropbox.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

11 Reviews

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:41 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

Good news guys! I didn't lose all of it. Half of it is still on an old flash drive! :D I'm so happy I'm literally crying right now.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:07 pm
LadySpark says...

So I know you said that you found parts of it, but I just wanna say, that while it's terrible when you lose something, sometimes you have to look at the glass half full and think of it as a way to start over.

You have a completely clean sheet that was once upon a time splattered with paint-- a beautiful picture, yes-- but now you have the unique opportunity to take your clean sheet and make a new picture. Whether this is a new picture of an old novel, or a completely new idea, it doesn't matter.
Some writers go their whole lives never starting over or taking chances with their writing.

Anyway, Gdocs. Always.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:50 am
eusouJT says...

Im sorry that it happened to you , but instead of crying take it as motivation to write something even better, I know you can!

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird