z

Young Writers Society

Help!!

Reviews: 0
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 pm
Yuna229 says...

I'm having a bit of a problem: one of my characters has no name (and it's an important one!), so, could you help me?
This character is a 15 year old girl, who has silver-brown hair, clear eyes (blue-green), she is 1,65m and slim (but not skeleton like). She is very shy and quiet, but, once you get to know her, she is a deep person and a very interesting one, and also a little bit weird (but in a good way). She is determined to what comes to helping others accomplish their dreams/goals, and also her dreams/goals, and she is very loyal to her friends. Although not social, she fights well, she is (although rarely) tough, and is also very smart (but not the nerdy type).
The name can have any nacionality.
Thanks for helping!!
Last edited by Yuna229 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:32 pm
AttackOfTheFlash says...

http://www.behindthename.com/
http://nameberry.com/
http://www.babynames.com/

All of the above links are very helpful for me when I'm struggling with finding a name. I totally recommend checking them out. Good luck!
Are you living or simply existing?

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:56 pm
veeren says...

theres actually a name generator at the bottom of the page if thats what you want. otherwise, i dont think a characters personality influences their name too much unless it will have significance in the story xp
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Seems like this thread maybe of some help.

I'm not sure what type of name you want there, giving us the appearance of the character helps in some way if you want the name to reflect her nature or her appearance. Usually names are given in accordance to the child's nationality or their parent's nationality, but of course that varies with everyone. Some people like to give their child names that has association with flowers, others trees. So it really depends on what type of world your character lives in, and what sort of role she plays in the story.

People have already provided you with some very good links above, when picking out a name thought, take in consideration of the society she's in. Don't use an outrageously modern name in a medieval setting.

Best of luck with your character.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm
Tenyo says...

Our life isn't decided by our names- what means one thing to one person will mean something different to another. In truth the name isn't really that important. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet, right?

I'd recommend picking a name that you have no significant attachment to, even if that means naming them after an inanimate object. That way you leave your mind open to letting her grow and change however she wants without her fate being decided by a single word.
We were born to be amazing.

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind