z

Young Writers Society

Novel Idea!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:20 pm
View Likes
bellathebookworm says...

Ok, I'm not sure if this has been done before, because it sounds sort of like a cliche. If you have heard of a story like this before, please tell me!

Here is an extremely rough (and likely to change) outline:

A 15 year old girl goes to the Mexican Yucatan peninsula on a vacation with her family. She is separated from them on a day trip to Tulum, a crowded ruin, and misses her bus back. She has no way of contacting them, and has no way to get back by herself. A Mexican girl whose job is to clean the seaweed off the beach by the ruin notices her and allows her to stay with her and her family. The visitor (who took Spanish in high school, so she can understand some of the language) reluctantly agrees, due to lack of a better option.

After staying for a night, she is told that she can continue to live with them if she pays for her own share of the food and contributes to the rent, although the father is not sure about this decision. She ends up working at Tulum as a tour guide because she can speak English. She is not found by her parents, who are discovered to abuse her, making her not want to return.

She spends three months there, learning much about the country, and starts to think of the Mexican family she was adopted by as her real family. She is discovered by her birth family (I'm not sure how yet) and is taken on a plane back to America, although she does not want to go back.

The Mexican family that sheltered her is charged of kidnapping, and the lawyer blames the girl's opinions about them as Stockholm syndrome. It is never disclosed if this is true. The court finds them guilty and they are sent to jail for 20 years. She is not allowed to speak to them and feels very guilty for causing these troubles.

Her father abuses her again, and the girl becomes deeply depressed. When the family gets out of jail, they return to Mexico.

Four years later, she graduates high school and spends the money saved for her college tuition on a flight to Mexico and goes straight to the Tulum ruins. The book ends with the girl, now 18, seeing the girl who first invited her to stay, still sweeping the seaweed off the beach.

What do you think? Any name suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-ClippedWings

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

It's always hard to tell, I find, if an idea will be good when I'm not entirely in your head. But I think it would be interesting, for sure! One thing though, is I find the ending rather anti-climactic... maybe that's just me. I think it would be a lot more gratifying if the Mexican family end up winning the court case after a long and hard struggle... or if the American girl manages to speak out about being abused, or something.

In any case, best of wishes with it! :-P
100% autistic

25 Reviews

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:28 pm
bellathebookworm says...

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll definitely try to write it at least. The book could be the way the girl speaks out to the public. Thanks for the idea!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Like all stories, the idea doesn't really matter. It's the execution. Start writing, and see where it goes.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 pm
rachellecarter says...

This girl should fall in live with the Mexican girl's older brother. Yup. Totes.

It could be a good novel, but a lot of research is ahead, my friend.

25 Reviews

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 pm
bellathebookworm says...

Yeah, @rachellecarter, I know. It's going to be rough, but if it comes out the way I imagine it, it will be worth it.

@Firestarter, I think you're right. Time to get on it!

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline