z

Young Writers Society

Neverland's Curse

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

As some of you know, I typically work on three novels at a time. (Keeps me from getting bored and quitting halfway through one.) The third novel I'm working on - and the one I'm focusing ninety percent of my attention on at the moment - is called Neverland's Curse. It's book one of a series and I'm honestly having almost too much fun working on it at the moment. Because I'm not good at summarizing things, here's the blurb I have for it:

" Acacia Darling is the descendent of Wendy Darling, the sorceress who first met Peter Pan. Her story, passed down through generations, was that Peter had kidnapped and tortured her until she could use her magick to get away. Still, there are rumors. Rumors that Wendy wasn’t the good sorceress she claimed to be. After finding an old diary that belonged to Wendy, Acacia discovers that the rumors were right. Wendy Darling had been evil. She had cursed Neverland with the darkest curse known to the magickal world. The curse, called Heart of Fear, filled the land with the very things its’ inhabitants were scared of. Cast in darkness and filled with war, evil pirates, and dark creatures, Neverland was now a cruel version of its’ former self. The moment she finishes reading the diary Acacia brings it to the council, a powerful group of sorcerers and sorceresses who rule the Magickal World. They decide that the curse must be broken and that Acacia must be the one to do it. Shortly after this decision is made, Acacia travels to Neverland and comes face to face with Peter Pan. There, Peter tells her the true story of what happened between him and Wendy. Wendy, Peter says, fell in love with him. Peter couldn’t return her feelings because Wendy wanted to return to the real world. Peter never would. The moment he told her this, however, she turned her back on him and cursed his land. Acacia’s arrival in Neverland, though, brings a revelation that no one saw coming: Wendy herself never left Neverland. She's still there. As Peter and Acacia battle her, they also find themselves falling in love with each other. Amidst falling in love and battling Wendy, the young couple must band together and protect their family.Together with the Lost Boys, can Peter and Acacia destroy Wendy and her curse? Or will she destroy them?"

The idea of an evil Wendy makes me incredibly happy by the way. And Wendy IS evil. She's not misunderstood or hurt...she's literally evil. A murderess in the later chapters of Neverland's Curse Book One. She's dark and nasty...and I just love her...almost as much as I hate her guts. My question for you guys is, is this something that people would be interested in? Or is it too far fetched? I'm already at the half-way point in the rough draft and I'm pretty happy with what I've got...but at the same time I'm interested in knowing how many people would actually read it if it were published.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.

Colly
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 pm
View Likes
TigersMoon says...

Let me channel my inner Rosendorn: Nothing is too far fetched! I asked the same question about one of my plots and you know what she said? It doesn't matter how weird the plot is, if you can make it work, it's fine. And since you're half way through the draft I'm guessing you can. Personally, I would be interested in this.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

11 Reviews

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:05 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

Thanks! I wasn't too sure because it IS kind of a weird idea. Mainly, I'm just kind of curious as to if people think the idea is worth it. :)
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:16 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

Just out of curiosity, have you read the original story? Because, just from the blurb, it does sound like a very interesting story, although, really not at all like the original story (the JM Barrie one, that is). If you're going to be basing a story off something as well-known and loved as Peter Pan, you want to be able to justify any contradictions to the original story.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

11 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

I have read the original story...but mine is completely different. (Obviously) I can definitely justify any contradictions. :)

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm
LadySpark says...

I.Love.It.

I don't think it's too farfetched, but I do think it's important you still show the characters as what they are. Is Hook evil? Is Hook still in Neverland? Does the fears drive any of the Lost Boys crazy? Is Peter happygolucky or has the darkness in Neverland turned him slightly cynical? Make sure you think about the psychological effects of this curse on all the inhabitants of Neverland as you're writing.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

11 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

Hook isn't evil. At first, there is mention of him being evil due to the curse but it doesn't last long. Thanks to Tinkerbell's pixie dust, he and his crew are cured of the curse.The pixie dust can cure the curse...but Tink is the only fairy in Neverland and so she doesn't have enough pixie dust. Not to mention that, in my story, all of Neverland hasn't been discovered yet. (Peter created Neverland in this story.)

At first, Peter has lost all hope. He despairs because his people are in pain and he can't help them. His only friend is John Darling and John is probably the only reason that Peter keeps going. If not for John, Peter would probably have let himself fall completely apart. His demeanor changes when Michael, Aiden and Acacia come to Neverland to help. It changes mainly because he knows now that the curse can be broken. That, and he's not alone anymore.

Most of the Lost Boys are around sixteen or seventeen, Peter's age. The effect the curse has on them is to bring them closer together. They're scared but they're getting through it together. Honestly, some of them would go back to the real world but they're loyal to Peter and they love him. Leaving him alone isn't an option. So they stayed by Peter's side. The younger Lost Boys are between four and ten years old and they're more affected by it. But they trust Peter and they know he'd never let anything hurt them so they're not too scared.

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins