z

Young Writers Society

Questions about setting

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:29 pm
TheArchon says...

Whenever I think about or write stories for my series, I always have random settings. One story takes place in my character's hometown. Another takes place on a planet inhabited only by a spirit divided into four people. Another takes place in some sort of prison. How do I eventually tie in all these settings together? I don't have a reason for my character to travel through the universe. Perhaps The Vest of Knowledge takes him wherever he needs to be?

Also, I seem to make every world on a separate planet. There's thag planet with only four inhabitants. There's a planet with that prison. Should I stop making everything on a different planet and just make it a different country?
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

For the first paragraph: Why do you need one right away? Why do you need to tie it all together immediately?

For the second paragraph: If the story wants to be told where every single setting is a different planet, then that's how the story wants to be told. Listen to the story and just do it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:09 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but I'm gonna try, mkay?
I think what you need to do right now is take a step back and ask yourself what you, as the writer want, and why. There's nothing wrong with random settings, but random settings just to be random are a little pointless. There's not an absolute need for these settings to be on completely different planets, and if they are, you're presented with a whole host of questions you're going to have to deal with yourself. The question of how to get back and forth, and how to tie it all together is going to be 10x harder to answer because you have to factor in between-planet travel. I personally, would not have to want to deal with that. Different countries seems plenty hard enough for me-- but there comes a time when you're going to need to answer these questions for yourself. Because believe it or not, the answers are inside of you a lot more than they're inside me or Rosey. What do you want your story to contain? Do you want separate planets? If so, why? Do you want separate countries? Why? Are you being random for the sake of being random? Why?
I want your go-to question to be why. And not asking anybody else why, but ask yourself why. Sometimes the answer is easy, and you're like "OH my GOSH how did I not think of that???" and other times it's gonna take awhile to figure out, and maybe then it won't be the answer you wanted. Why will lead you to some really interesting answers, I'm telling you.
But anyway, for this question, I don't think anyone can answer it for you. You gotta try both and see which works for your story. (And also don't pick the hard road just because it seems more interesting, that can exhaust you fairly quickly.)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 am
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

What can be simplified, ought to be, barring a compelling reason. You haven't mentioned a good reason for keeping your settings on separate planets. Why are you trying to invent one?

Granted, if you put all the settings on one planet, you're going to have to consider whatever geopolitical ramifications that decision may or may not have. What kind of universe are you trying to create with this story? How in-depth do you plan to go with your world-building?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this stuff until you finish the series. By then you'll know what you need to focus on and will have a better sense of how to tie it all together.

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf