z

Young Writers Society

Help me with me idea for a novel

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:28 am
Pretzelstick says...

Hello all of you YWS experts, I am posting this with the encouragement of @Arkhaion.

I have been toying around with this novel idea for about four months but I don't know if anyone would like the idea, or if they would spend their time reading/reviewing it.
So first of all the genre is realistic fiction/romance/adoption story and recovery
Here is just a little excerpt of the general idea(no I am not giving away any spoilers, if you want to know what happened you would have to follow my novel)

A figure is crouching by the road. Ashleigh, a lovely lady, decides to adopt this little girl, who she names Violet, into her heart and home. Fifteen years later, when Violet is seventeen she and Ashleigh, her mom, decide to on a all summer vacation by a beach in California. This vacation changes Violet heart and life and shows her what true love is. Three years after this delicious vacation her mother tells her the secret about her past. When her mom tells her this Violet is shocked and decided that she needs a little bit of time to reflect and so she embarks on the journey of her life. Will she find hope and answers by the road?

This would be something like similar to the blurb on the back of the book.My plotline is fairly well developed and although I am unsure of some things, I really like this idea.So my question is would you be interested in reading something like this? And also any suggestions or questions?(no spoilers at all)Also since this book would be a matter of span of about like 3 years in Violet's life, it would be fairly long.

So I personally really love this idea, but I don't want to outline it for you at all that well.Please help and give any advice/suggestions that you can!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 am
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Hello pretzel!
Let me tell you something before I begin: just write it and don't think about the audience. Don't ask yourself "will people like this if...?" Because it all comes down to what you want to do. Don't worry if anyone *else* will like it because as long as you do, that's all that matters!
But onto the question you're asking... The genre isn't my cup of tea, but I think I'd read it. It sounds interesting though. My question is: what kind of journey? A journey to find her "true identity" or her true love? You've got me wondering about that part.
So what I'm trying to say is that do not worry if others will like it. As long as you love it, that's all that matters. Because if you write "for everyone else to like it" you may end up writing something you don't like.
Are you living or simply existing?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:59 am
Vervain says...

I, of course, am inclined to agree with Flash on this one. You already knew that, though. ;D Don't worry about whether or not people will like it, because there will be people who'll read it, and that's the important thing.

I am going to caution you against having a set-in-stone plan for the first draft. I can't tell you how many times my novel has completely changed throughout just the first six chapters, and how many times I've had to redo not just characters, somewhat, but the entire plot and story that I want to tell. I've had to scrap the scene that initially started me writing this story, though I am holding out some small hope of being able to write it at some point.

If you have a set-in-stone plan, 9 times out of 10 you're going to write yourself into a corner and have to pull out a deus ex machina to make the plot move along. Especially because you've been sitting on this idea for so long and because you have faith in it, I'd encourage that you just go ahead and write it, so you can figure out where and how it's going to change along the way, and you're prepared for a second draft.

Go ahead and write it, I say again, whether certain people like it or not. There is an audience for everything, and this actually sounds like it would fit fairly well into the YA marketing spectrum overall, considering the length of YA realistic fiction that's been hitting the shelves lately.
stay off the faerie paths

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 am
lilyhawk says...

No matter what you do, writing is a therapy. There is a reason you relate to this character and I definitely believe you should write it and see where the story takes you. Is it a physical journey like a road trip or is it an emotional Journey.

It sounds vague what you are explaining but valid that you want to keep certain parts secret!

Go for it! and good luck!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:04 pm
LadySpark says...

I'm gonna focus on the part where you say that this book is going to cover a span of three years.
This one time, when I was in fourth grade, I read a book called across five april's. It was boring and really long, and covered the span of five years.
I'm not saying that yours would be boring, obviously (anything would be more interesting than a book about a farmer during the civil war), but I want you to be cautious about writing a book that covers such a long span. The details might get lost in you trying to fit your story into the book. 3 years is a long time. Just keep that in mind when you're writing it. The average book covers the span of a few months (summer romances, for instance).
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm
Lefty says...

I like the idea and would be interested to read it, but to be honest, what I think and what I like to read doesn't/shouldn't really matter. Don't write what you think others will want to read or what is "in". Write what you want to write. Write what you want to read. Don't worry about what others think of it. If you have a story that you need to get out, then write it, because it won't go away until you do. Not every reader likes every story, so where some my find this idea boring, for others it will be right down their alley and what they've been waiting for. You also say that you have a lot of it figured out already, which is awesome. Sometimes it can be really difficult to get it as figured out as you have already. And if you know that much about what you want to do with it, then why not give it a shot? Anyway, you're awesome, go with what you feel, write what you want and have fun.

-Lefty
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner