z

Young Writers Society

Blood of Camelot

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

Hey again! So, I typically have two novels that I'm writing at any given time. Not sure why, just a habit I guess. Forgotten (the reincarnation one) is the first and Blood of Camelot is the second. As you can probably guess, BOC is a story set around Arthurian legends...but it's set in the modern day. Here's the blurb I have for it:

"Isabelle Du Pont is Immortal. She’s lived through things that no human could ever even dream of. She’s the twin sister of Merlin, the lover of Morgana herself, and she’s outlived almost all of them. She and Merlin are in America when Arthur’s return happens. With Arthur comes Morgana and shit will hit the fan. Isabelle struggles with her love for Morgana and her duty to protect Arthur. But what happens when it isn’t Morgana who threatens Arthur? What happens when it’s Mordred, the Sorcerer whose blade killed Arthur in his last life, who threatens Arthur? "

Does that sound remotely interesting? Or should I scrap the idea and just work on something else?
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:55 pm
Hattable says...

It sounds interesting, don't see the need for vulgar language though :P
Also, no offense to anyone or anything but... What is it with all of these suicidal and same-sex relationship stories? Like, they're all over the place!

Probably shouldn't ask that as I might make a few people dislike me... But I don't care :smt032

EDIT for any future forum spelunkers (9/28/2019): It's been almost(?) five years since I posted this and I just rediscovered it and I'm really ashamed of what I said here. I was young and sheltered and narrow-minded (and really trying to be edgy, probably, too). But none of those are excuses for my behavior. I've grown to realize that the above comment is insensitive, offensive, and honestly pretty homophobic, and I greatly regret posting this or even thinking this way in the past.

At first I thought just deleting the post when I rediscovered it would be fine- not as an attempt to run away from the mistake (though that's basically what deletion ends up being when you get down to it), but just to because I was afraid of anyone possibly finding it in the future and thinking poorly of me. But my friend pointed out that it'd be better to edit in this note and take responsibility for this mistake. That's obviously much better than deletion.

Sincerest apologies to anyone who may find this post, and to anyone who was offended by it before.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

11 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

I meant to take that "shit will hit the fan" line out and replace it. And the same sex thing, I wasn't originally planning on that but that's where my characters led me so that's what I'm doing.
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@JKHatt - People in same sex relationships are kind of all over the place, so it only makes sense they're in stories as well, no? I mean, when it comes to any given population you're going to have a bunch of individuals who aren't straight and stories should reflect that.

As for the story itself!

That line with swearing is probably the most confusing. "With Arthur comes Morgana" is slightly cumbersome to read, then you switch language and it ends with me reading it a bunch of times to understand.

One thing I will say is: every single idea has the potential to be really good or really bad. You should never scrap an idea based on people not liking the blurb, especially as blurbs are sales writing and are an art in and of themselves. If you want to write something, write it.

I would be very careful about negative tropes around LGBT+ people, including how f/f relationships almost never have happy endings, and how people who fit LGBT+ stereotypes are very often villains. If you end up dipping into those with your main protagonists, make sure to balance out the negative representation with some positive representation in side characters (why yes, I did just suggest to have more LGBT+ people in the story) who don't fall into those tropes, especially when it comes to who's a villain. If LGBT+ people are only villains, it just reinforces a lot of stigma.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

11 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:39 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

Thanks! That helped out a lot! As for Isabelle and Morgana, they'll have a hard road but a happy ending is in store for them.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 pm
LadySpark says...

Happy endings are my favorite! As are stories of king Arthur.
I do have some questions though. Are Morgana and Arthur aware of their past life? If so, do they find it hard to adjust to what I'm assuming is modern day america? Is Arthur still a 'king' (or as much of one as you can be in modern day america? Like a business mogul, politician, trust fund kid, celebrity?)?
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

11 Reviews

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:18 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

Morgana and Arthur are both aware of their past life. Since they were actually re-born to different parents in this life, they're quite well adjusted to the modern era...though they both miss their original time greatly. Arthur and Morgana are wealthy...but they're not celebrities or anything. Uther owns a production company in this era. :)

355 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm
LadySpark says...

Is it only Morgana and Arthur, or did the knights come as well? What about the Queen? Or is Arthur attracted to modern people that remind him of his old friends?
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm
Dracula says...

This isn't a BBC Merlin fanfiction is it?
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

11 Reviews

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:04 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

The knights aren't a part of this particular story. This story centers around Merlin, his twin sister, Arthur, and Morgana. And no. It's definitely not a fan fiction. I DO write fan fiction...but this is an original work.

355 Reviews

Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:20 pm
LadySpark says...

Out of curiosity, why only them? Why not everyone else? And I'm still curious, are the characters attracted to people in this world that remind them of their friends in their past life?
Otherwise, looks like it's going to be a great story.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

11 Reviews

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

I've actually changed my mind about the knights. They will have a very small part in the whole scheme of things. Not very big but they will be a part of it. Merlin and Isabella are attracted to people that remind them of Arthur and Morgana...but they have not had any other relationships. Arthur and Morgana are it for them.

355 Reviews

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:37 pm
LadySpark says...

okay, awesome! I think having the knights in it is a good idea, and will add a whole dimension to the story.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

11 Reviews

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:08 pm
View Likes
UntamedHeart173 says...

They will definitely add something to the story. Not all of them will be good guys, though. Some of the knights are actually traitors.

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:12 pm
LadySpark says...

Lancelot, for example, eh? Fell in love with the King's wife... Very interesting backstories there.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk