z

Young Writers Society

Reincarnation

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 am
UntamedHeart173 says...

So, the novel I'm currently writing has a huge main theme of Reincarnation. Basically, my main characters are reincarnations of lovers from several hundred years ago. Now, my problem is that I don't know how to get my male main character to believe that he's the reincarnation of someone else. He's already been having dreams/flashbacks of his past life...but he's currently brushing them off. Any suggestions on how he could come to the same conclusion my female MC has? Thanks in advance!
Colly
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

Sam: Well, you are kind of butch. They probably think you're overcompensating.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:55 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

What's his personality like? And what's the FMC's personality, that she does believe it?

The thing about questions like this is they're only answerable from the character themselves. Something about his personality is causing him to not believe he's a reincarnation, and until you identify that (along with identify why he believes what he does, and what it takes to change his mind), you'll never figure out how to get him to believe it.

Likewise, make sure that you know exactly why the female MC does believe it with such conviction. Is she gullible? Spiritual? Always had a sense she was different? If she just believes it because it's plot convenient, that's not a very solid character and you need to beef her up, as well.

Also, a general worldbuilding questions: are your two characters unique, or are they one of many reincarnated lover pairings?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

11 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 am
UntamedHeart173 says...

Styxx (my male mc) is...stubborn. He's open minded and he believes in ghosts but he thinks (and he's told me this) reincarnation is going a little far. Adeline, my female MC, is a writer. She's creative and has always believed in reincarnation. She didn't immediately come to the conclusion that she was reincarnated either but she came to it easier than Styxx is. Styxx is fighting me every step of the way and I'm sort of confused.
Dean: Of course, the most troubling question is why do these people assume we're gay?

1272 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:34 am
Rosendorn says...

So you're talking to your character. Fantastic.

Have you tried asking him what would make him believe it?

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 am
Vervain says...

To add another question to the pot, why is it important that both of your main characters come to this conclusion? Why does Styxx have to realize that he's the reincarnation of Adeline's pre-incarnation's lover?
stay off the faerie paths

11 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:01 am
UntamedHeart173 says...

I've asked Styxx but he simply doesn't believe it. He needs to believe it because they have to stop Adeline's death from happening in the same way it did in their last life. If he doesn't believe, she'll die. And yet he's being increasingly stubborn. I love Styxx, he's my baby and my favorite out of the two characters...but he's stubborn. Very stubborn.

1272 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 am
Rosendorn says...

What would be so bad about her dying? Move the plot past that. Have him realize that the magic was true only after her death, and show him living with the knowledge he indirectly killed his love by not believing. Have him look at the world totally differently, and maybe believe in magic a little more.

Not every happy ending is the two lovers surviving, living happily ever after. Sometimes a happy ending is realizing you miss the person who died, and your life isn't the same, but it's alright. You're alright. There's life after death, even if that death is of your reincarnated lover.

11 Reviews

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:31 pm
UntamedHeart173 says...

Oh my Castiel. You just gave me a breakthrough! :D Thanks!

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil