z

Young Writers Society

Is it unbeneficial to read manga?

Reviews: 2
Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 pm
TheArchon says...

I mostly read regular novels, but there are two manga series I really want to read (Dragonball and Death Note). Is reading manga unbeneficial or hindering to writing fiction? Manga still has many elements of story, so I don't think it's bad. What do you think?
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:01 am
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Haha, I'm in an opposite situation: I've been reading more manga than regular novels for the last few months. :P
And I honestly don't see why it would be unbeneficial? It's still got a storyline, characters, and basically all the components of a novel but it has illustration on every page. The only thing that really separates novels and manga, in my opinion, is that you read novels right-to-left and manga left-to-right. That's it.
By the way, I'm reading Death Note right now. It's amazing, and has a better plot than a lot of novels I've read. It's also very cleverly written and has deep characters. I recommend it!
Are you living or simply existing?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

As far as manga goes, I'd still consider it reading—in reality, reading anything, from manga to War and Peace, is a great help to writing fiction, because it does cover a lot of the elements of stories and characters. At the same time, it's not going to cover every single aspect of writing, because you don't see the time spent editing. You're just looking at the finished product, not the first or second or third draft, and in some corner of your mind (in some corner of every perfectionist's mind), you're judging your own work on the same scale as this finished, polished work.

As long as you're reading with your mind engaged (which is how most people read, as they're looking at the world and the characters and interactions), I don't really think there's much bad reading! And there's definitely nothing wrong with reading for fun—even as an aspiring author, you have the privilege to sit down and say "no, I do not have the mental space to exert myself by reading critically at the moment, I will read for fun".

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the benefits or hindrances to writing, and don't worry about forcing yourself to read critically, either! If it's something that you really want to read, it's doubtless that you're going to have fun noticing the little things about the storylines, the human and superhuman parts of the characters, what an author and illustrator does to influence audience opinion... All things that we gain from reading almost anything. Unless you're reading the blandest list of the blandest words in human existence (or, I don't know, is there a super-defensive bland words fandom out there? :P), the author of anything wants you to feel a certain way about their work and the characters within their work.

My vote? As long as you want to, go forth and read!
stay off the faerie paths

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:35 am
Lumi says...

I agree with Ank--there's ultimately no such thing as bad reading as long as you acknowledge that finished projects won't equate to your active writing unless you are near publishing quality (hint: the chance is low for anyone!)

One perk I will highlight as a lover of fiction in both novel- and manga-form is that you get exposed to different sets of tropes in storytelling and character development. Something I think you'll find particularly beneficial in the manga Death Note is the powerfully-executed concept of an MC that should be both loved and hated, and an antagonist that does the same to the reader.

Dragon Ball is a completely different story, though, as it's a total Shounen with no respite for those looking for comedic breaks. If my memory serves, the best you'll get is a Master Roshi pervert joke! It's not a particularly well-written manga, though it opens you up to a mythology in far-eastern culture regarding the monkey king and his journey through life.

The main downfall that I think you're digging for is that you will never find literary descriptions in manga. And why would you?! Everything is drawn on the page for you to take in with full adoration, and all you get is dialogue and the occasional quick narration if the scene is transitioning.

That said, I would instead interpret that as a challenge to your own skills. How would you describe the images you take in? How could you insert them into your writing with conducive flow? Ultimately, I think manga makes you a stronger writer the same way taking in good novels does.

My vote? Go for it, and go for it hard.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:07 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Leaving a short note.

Personally, I don't think reading manga is unbeneficial, in some cases it might even be beneficial for some aspects of story writing. Plot development, character progression, etc. Manga also offers, or sometimes offers new ideas that you just don't see in fiction.

Just keep a good balance between manga and fiction, and choose well what manga you read. If you need any recommendation, I've got a few.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I'd say everything you read is somewhat beneficial. It might not help you the way it would to read a novel, for instance, but it's still beneficial to read. All story elements and input of creativity will help you in the end.

Whether you're aware of it or not.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Dude if you wanna read something, just read it
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:51 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Just read! Alo, Yep, Death Note is awesome!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Why does it matter if it's beneficial or not?

Not everything has to benefit your writing to be worthwhile. In fact, you should seriously have a life outside of reading and writing. Healthier.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Talent is something that comes from within; it has nothing to do with age.
— AURORA