z

Young Writers Society

Do you think it's too late to apply for a summer program?

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 pm
TheArchon says...

I found many summer creative writing programs, but all of them are either accepting applications right now to will be very soon. I haven't put anything together, so do you think it's too late to apply? I have to submit at least one writing sample, which scares me because I'm a total beginner. What do you think?
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm
Rosendorn says...

Go for it! You have absolutely nothing to lose.

Writers never gain anything unless they apply to every place they can. Now, they get rejected from a lot of places, but the more they apply and improve themselves between applications, the more they get themselves out there. It's a way to get practice, and it helps build your portfolio.

Everybody starts off as a beginner. You might not get in, but you tried, and you pushed yourself, and you'll have a new piece all nice and polished up from submitting!

You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by at least applying.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:51 pm
LadySpark says...

Yes! Go for it!
Find your best piece of writing, polish it, and send it in. You may not get in, but you also just might! There's nothing wrong with falling before you fly. Being a beginner doesn't mean you won't be accepted. These writing courses might be looking for writers that are beginners but have a lot of potential. They're not looking for perfect writers that already know everything. They're looking for students to teach.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Reviews: 2
Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm
TheArchon says...

I decided I'm going to apply. The only problem is that my mom has NO IDEA that I write. I'm still too scared to tell her.
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:44 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Maybe you could bring up, "Hey, I found this cool program for over the summer and wanted to try it out"?
stay off the faerie paths

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 pm
Blues says...

TheArchon wrote:I decided I'm going to apply. The only problem is that my mom has NO IDEA that I write. I'm still too scared to tell her.

I know the feeling, but chances are she'll respond very positively. Aside from everything else, it's educational! It's something to be proud of and plus, where would we be without literature? (In a much less interesting world, that's for sure).

Best of luck! :D

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:50 pm
Sarah12 says...

Chances are very high she'll respond well. I had the same problem when I wrote my first book, but my mom was ecstatic. Go for it!
A note for all writers! If something goes wrong in your life, yell "PLOT TWIST!" and move on.

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery