z

Young Writers Society

Inconsistencies in my story?

Reviews: 2
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31 am
TheArchon says...

I am writing a story called Planet of the Battle Sisters for my short story series. However, I have come a long some inconsistencies. The planet my character travels to is inhabitant by two pairs of battle twins. They live in peace. If they are the only four inhabitants of the entire planet, however, why would they need to learn how to fight. How can they be peaceful with each other yet be called battle sisters?
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:36 am
Vervain says...

If you find you're having these troubles in your writing, there's really one (prominent) way to fix it: Think your way around it. Why can the planet only be inhabited by those four? Why can't you think up some other people to inhabit the planet? Why can't there have been something in the past that would necessitate them learning to fight and them being called "battle sisters"?

"Why" is one of the most important questions you can ask in writing, as well as "how" and "who". Who calls them battle sisters? Who knows about them? Who has come in contact with them? Who has conflicted with them? Who has battled them? Did they come out alive? If not, who told the tale? How do they fight? How well do they fight?

Questions to be answered, of course, by the writer and the story.
stay off the faerie paths

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:54 am
Apricity says...

First off, titles don't have to remain same because it seems to me that you're questioning this because of the title. Titles can change, but I can give you some idea as to why those inconsistencies happen. Ark has covered some good points there, to me, it seems that you haven't planned out your story very well yet.

You've got an idea, but that's about it. You haven't really tried and developed this or sketched a rough framework which is why you are encountering all those things. If you did plan, it would help if you told us what exactly the plan was so we can help you.

To answer your question, there could be a lot of factors as to where they would fight. What is the world like? Are they enemies, are they fighting for resources? On the other hand you can question yourself, who are they peacefully? What are some potential things that could disrupt this peace?

And this is personal, but there is a whole world and it is only inhabitated by four people? That seems highly unlikely no matter how small that world is. Just something for you to consider.

You don't have to plan out every single detail, but it's a good idea to have a rough idea as to why the characters are living, or being the way they are. Or where this world they're in, is what it is and not some other world. The way I usually answer this is I write them down and I answer them, you may not need all of these answers. In fact, a lot of them will end up useless but by asking yourself these. You will gain a better understanding of your story and what is needed and what isn't.

All the best.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm
LadySpark says...

It is entirely possible for a people to have superior training and be peaceful. Some Native American tribes, for example, were a peaceful people-- but when push came to shove-- amazing warriors. I would research Native American tribes to use as a base for your 4-person planet.

(I did some quick googling, and came back with all kinds of resources, but feel free to do it more indepth research yourself.)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:11 pm
TheArchon says...

Flite wrote:First off, titles don't have to remain same because it seems to me that you're questioning this because of the title. Titles can change, but I can give you some idea as to why those inconsistencies happen. Ark has covered some good points there, to me, it seems that you haven't planned out your story very well yet.

You've got an idea, but that's about it. You haven't really tried and developed this or sketched a rough framework which is why you are encountering all those things. If you did plan, it would help if you told us what exactly the plan was so we can help you.

To answer your question, there could be a lot of factors as to where they would fight. What is the world like? Are they enemies, are they fighting for resources? On the other hand you can question yourself, who are they peacefully? What are some potential things that could disrupt this peace?

And this is personal, but there is a whole world and it is only inhabitated by four people? That seems highly unlikely no matter how small that world is. Just something for you to consider.

You don't have to plan out every single detail, but it's a good idea to have a rough idea as to why the characters are living, or being the way they are. Or where this world they're in, is what it is and not some other world. The way I usually answer this is I write them down and I answer them, you may not need all of these answers. In fact, a lot of them will end up useless but by asking yourself these. You will gain a better understanding of your story and what is needed and what isn't.

All the best.

My idea about the planet is difficult to explain with words. The planet is light blue and magenta, each color representing a certain twin pair. Normally, these colors cover the entire planet equally and blend well together. However, when the peace between the battle sisters is disrupted and they turn against eachother, the colors are divided. Now, half of the planet is light blue and the other half is magenta. So, the harmony of the battle sisters keeps the planet in balance. I'm not sure what happens when the planet is divided, but I can guess something bad.

So, when my character and his friend Jacob arrive at the planet, we see the planet divided into two colors (half light blue half magenta). They are caught in the middle of the battle of the sisters. Somewhere in the middle of the story, my character and Jacob become hostile themselves and each side with a different twin pair.
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

So there's your explanation.

Something happened to throw off the balance, therefore the previously harmonious groups got torn asunder and now fight amongst themselves because of an imbalance, hence their names as "battle sisters".
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

she slept with wolves without fear, for the wolves knew there was a lion among them.
— r.m. drake