z

Young Writers Society

Should I attend a summer program for creative writing?

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:51 pm
TheArchon says...

I was searching the Internet at school yesterday and stumbled upon a list of summer programs for high school students focusing on creative writing. I'd really like to go, but it costs a lot. I am already planning on taking a gap year to Latin America before college, plus college itself is going to be super expensive. However, I feel like if I don't, I'll have nothing to show college admissions officers that I like writing. I know that's not the most important thing, but how else can I show them that I like to write? I don't know what to do.
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:04 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

If you chose to go into writing in college, there's nothing that says you have to show a college you've written before then. You can chose your major and do it anyway. Sure, it helps with scholarships and stuff, but say, if you decided to be a doctor, you wouldn't have to give a college proof that you listened to your childhood pediatrician when he talked about medical stuff.
As for the camp, I've personally fundraised my way to many ballet summer intensives. They're several thousand dollars for a couple of weeks, but I managed to pay for them by myself. I sold t-shirts, I had bake sales, I sent letters to business' asking them for money.
Sure, it wasn't the most glamorous thing or something I enjoyed, but once I got to the intensive, it was worth it. If this is something you really want, go for it. I'm sure it'd be a great experience and a great way to meet new people and learn new things.
However, it's not necessary. If it's not financially feasible for you, it's not like it'll be the end of the world. You don't have to go to one creative writing camp when you're in your senior year just to have it to show colleges, when colleges will let you become a creative writing/journalist/publicist major (or whatever you're thinking of becoming) without it.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 pm
TheArchon says...

LadySpark wrote:If you chose to go into writing in college, there's nothing that says you have to show a college you've written before then. You can chose your major and do it anyway. Sure, it helps with scholarships and stuff, but say, if you decided to be a doctor, you wouldn't have to give a college proof that you listened to your childhood pediatrician when he talked about medical stuff.
As for the camp, I've personally fundraised my way to many ballet summer intensives. They're several thousand dollars for a couple of weeks, but I managed to pay for them by myself. I sold t-shirts, I had bake sales, I sent letters to business' asking them for money.
Sure, it wasn't the most glamorous thing or something I enjoyed, but once I got to the intensive, it was worth it. If this is something you really want, go for it. I'm sure it'd be a great experience and a great way to meet new people and learn new things.
However, it's not necessary. If it's not financially feasible for you, it's not like it'll be the end of the world. You don't have to go to one creative writing camp when you're in your senior year just to have it to show colleges, when colleges will let you become a creative writing/journalist/publicist major (or whatever you're thinking of becoming) without it.

Do you think I still have enough time to fundraise? Also, I have to decide pretty soon because applications are already being submitted. I even have to write 5-10 pages of fiction...
Wibbly wobbley time-wimey stuff

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

When is the payment due, though? If the payment is due after the application, then focus on the application first and fundraising later.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 pm
Zolen says...

There are colleges that require you to "show you like to write"? Most writing programs are pretty...eh when it comes to going in, I have never been to one that was worth the money. So be careful.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:59 pm
RacheDrache says...

Zolen wrote:There are colleges that require you to "show you like to write"? Most writing programs are pretty...eh when it comes to going in, I have never been to one that was worth the money. So be careful.

What Zolen said. You could very well end up at a program not worth its salt surrounded by fellow students who don't know the first thing about commas.

I personally know people who have attended the University of Virginia young writers' camp, so I can vouch for its awesomeness. I also know someone who taught at Stanford's young writer camp, so I can also vouch for its awesomeness.

You don't need to spend money to convince a college you like to write. That's what application essays are for. A good writing program, though, could be very well worth the cost--just research the program and make sure it'll be worth it first.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:39 am
LadySpark says...

Like Rosey said, find out when the payment is due!
Also, the program might even offer scholarships or financial aid. Look for camps that specifically offer it then if you can! And you have plenty of time to fund raise! I did it within two months! It just depends on how dedicated you are/ how big of a base you have to fund raise too/ how much resources you have.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero