z

Young Writers Society

Searching for a novel writing buddy...

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 am
opaquewillow says...

Hey everyone,

I'm after a novel writing buddy. Not sure if this is the right place to put it!

I want to partner up with someone to motivate and inspire each other's writing. I'm currently working on the fourth draft of my novel, and it is a goal this year to work on it every week day (excluding emergencies etc.).

I'd like to email back and forth at least on a weekly basis (hopefully more!) about what each other is writing, what we each hope to achieve this week, what we achieved last week, etc...

I'd like a kind of schedule such as: Sunday evenings I could email you saying "I want to write a summary of my first novel and an outline of my second novel this week". You do the same. Then next Sunday I could write what I want to do next week, and also a recap of the week just gone. What I got done, what I didn't and why. But of course I am flexible and happy to talk about it and find something that suits us both :)

I would also be open to critquing each other and anything else really that we both agree on :)

I'm a nineteen year old Aussie female. I'd prefer someone around my age with English as their first nationality, or very fluent in it. Doesn't bother me male or female.

I am writing a YA/New Adult (I'm not sure yet, it does have sex and swearing, but in a tactful way) paranormal romance novel.

I do not mind what you are writing, but it would be a good fit if it was a novel as well.

Comment below if you are interested and we can have a chat and see if we are suited! :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:08 pm
ChaeBou55 says...

Hey there(: I'm new here but I saw your thread and thought you had a good idea here. My name is Chaeann (Chae for short) and I'll be 19 next month. I'm from America so English is my first language. I've been an active writer for almost 10 years. I'm actually in the process of finishing my first novel but I keep losing motivation. Your idea sounds good. (:
I'd be willing to work together.
~Chae ^o^

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:37 pm
JohnLocke1 says...

I don't know if you saw the message I posted on your profile, but please look! I'm interested in working together, my friend.
"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes." - John Locke

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:46 pm
crossroads says...

This is a really great idea which I've been trying to run with a few people too :3 As a quick few tips, I'd suggest you to check out the works and reviews of people who sign up (if they have any), or you try out reviewing each other's single chapter or scene first, to see how the whole thing works. It does happen sometimes that two people are simply not a good match, and this kind of thing should be enjoyable along with being useful.
Also, be sure your work will stay safe with the other person, and of course, always be smart with giving personal info (even emails) to strangers. I'd suggest at least some chatting first, really (personally I wouldn't share works I hold important with people I don't know at all).

All that said, I'm always in for these kinds of things!
I'm 20, not a native English speaker but rather close to being one (according to people, anyway, who get surprised when they figure it's my second language xP), and I'm writing novels as well. Currently working on a big project which I'm hoping to finish by the end of this year, and another side project which is more there to conquer writer's block and offer something more random and with more wild magic.
The big project is arguably historical fiction with supernatural/fantasy elements, though it combines many more genres alongside with those. The side novel could be called dark fantasy, I guess. Neither is YA, but I do even have some pretty young characters in both *shrugs*
Oh yeah, my reviews tend to be on the harsh side, some say, especially ones given privately. I don't mind getting the same in return, though.

That's kind of it for now. I'd prefer to spend some time just chatting in general before actually sharing works, as I get very paranoid and protective over everything I write xP
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51 pm
crossroads says...

Oh yeah. I also think this can totally work as a group rather than a pair as well. Perhaps even better, as it gives everyone more feedback and commenting possibilities. You might want to consider it~
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:07 pm
View Likes
ChaeBou55 says...

I agree with AriaAdams it would be good as a group thing. The more people the more feedback on ideas right??? That way if someone isn't available right away we could talk to someone else. I'm also involved in a big process and while I'm mostly editing and prepping to send it out I've been going back and rewriting some parts to make them better. I lose focus on editing really easy so if I set a goal with someone it might work better.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:41 pm
Holysocks says...

AriaAdams wrote:Oh yeah. I also think this can totally work as a group rather than a pair as well. Perhaps even better, as it gives everyone more feedback and commenting possibilities. You might want to consider it~

A couple of us tried that for NaNo! ^_^ It was fun, we used Skype messages.

Edit: We didn't actually really review each others work or read it... we just discussed our novels and were supportive...
100% autistic

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:17 pm
firefly882 says...

This sounds like an excellent idea! If there's any more room I'd like to join in. :)

Currently I'm working on a fantasy novel (originally intended to be high fantasy, but now it's leaning towards YA) that has undergone a HUGE revamp in the five years since I first started. I have a tendency to stray from my personal writing goals and would love to be part of a group to help keep me on track! I also enjoy helping others do the same and am always willing to lend a hand/ear/eye/review to help out!

Again, if there is still room for something like this then count me in! :elephant:
"Have I ever told you the story about how our kingdom was nearly torn apart by greed and betrayal? No? Well then gather 'round, my children, and let Ol' Nan tell you about the Legends of Arenthul." ~Naneria

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink