z

Young Writers Society

Paper or Computer?

Paper or computer?

Paper
14%
Computer
68%
Other (e.g. phone, tablet, your bedroom wall)
4%
Not sure
14%

Total votes : 28

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:31 pm
steampowered says...

I don't think this thread has come up before, which I'm surprised by... :)

Anyway, I thought it was time to open up the debate of which is better: writing on paper or typing that wonderful manuscript straight onto the computer.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:44 pm
View Likes
EscaSkye says...

I type the story straight on to the computer. If it's story notes though, like personality and general flow, it varies but I usually write that in a notebook of mine.
Not anymore.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:55 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Most of the time, I'll write random scenes and out-of-order chapters in a notebook, and the actual story in proper order on computer/iPad... Lately, though, I find myself only really able to write in my notebook, plus the feeling is much better, so I prefer that.

Or my typewriter. I use that one for a completely different story, and sometimes when my notebook isn't the first choice for this or that reason.

I think I actually benefit from it, as it compels me to reread it as I'm typing it up on computer later, and edit it as I go then already *shrugs*
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

I love the fact that there's a 'bedroom wall' option. XD
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:35 pm
r4p17 says...

I write on a tablet every day.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:02 pm
Dreamy says...

Papers. <3
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:26 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I type it out onto my computer... but I used to write it all in a note book, when I was just a kiddy. I prefer writing in note books, but it takes too much time to transfer it all from the paper to the computer.

I might go back to writing in a journal though... I'm thinking about looking into getting some speech transferring software, or whatever, because staring at a screen all day depresses me. If I could write in a notebook, and then read it to my computer... I think that would work great for me.
100% autistic

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

Good question.

When I was younger I filled up about four notebooks with just scribblings of a story that I had in my head. Later I switched completely to a computer, because, ummm, I might as well face it. My handwriting really sucks sometimes, and nothing beats that nice crisp look of it being typed. xD

So computer for me. My laptop is my life. ;)
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Computer because my hand writing is terrible and it is a lot easier to edit work and store it safely!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

It varies. Lately mostly computer, but I've often started in a notebook then typed it up. It's fantastic for editing, but sometimes using my laptops is just easier. Varies from story to story.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 am
Pretzelstick says...

I feel more comfortable writing on the computer because it's easier and I type faster.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo