Young Writers Society

Falling Deep Journal

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:13 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

Ready to Fall Deep?

Hey guys. So, as promised, I am attempting at a proper planning journal for my novel, Falling Deep. I am so appreciative for all my lovely subscribers from the original chapters, and you guys are the reason I have fought procrastination for so long. :)
That said, the reason that this journal is being born is because I am a very busy person with a lot of interests. I am currently in a musical and a lot of high stress classes, so I don't think a proper chapter can be expected until winter break or perhaps even after. I was disappointed in myself with the last chapter (what the even, Night?), and I promised myself that I would not let this novel die. Fin will fight through this bout of life! XP
This journal will keep me accountable and keep my characters alive. I hope to post here at least every other week with new plotting, character, etc. ideas. So keep posted, and let the Hunger Games begin!

Spoiler! :

~Night
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:51 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

General Information

Setting:
This story takes place in the present or near future X-men reference. It is a sci-fi/ supernatural work, but it starts out in a small city- Cheyenne, Wyoming. Cheyenne is a normal Western town, with medium sized buildings, neighborhoods on the outskirts, and low mountains in the horizon. It has a lot of history and used to house cowboys. The older generations are proud of their adventurous heritage, but the young folks would do anything to get out of there, hence why it fails to grow much in population. It is large enough that not everyone knows each other, but the inhabitants are friendly and kind to each other. The sky is always blue and the town seems slightly isolated from the rest of the world. The mountains contribute to this feeling. The first chapter takes place in April, in which the temperatures range widely from 30 to 70 degrees F. The area gets some snow, and in the first chapter, they had just gotten one of their final blizzards.
The story later morphs into the setting of the Great Salt Lake Desert, Utah. However, the main character does not discover this for a very long time. His surrounding are a facility known as the Base, which is like a complex military compound/ high security prison. More will be on this later.

Main Characters: (More specifics later)
Fin Grace- main character, first POV
Ashley Flint - antagonist/ betrayer
Mr. Flint (need a first name)- antagonist
Dr. Bennett (first name) - antagonist
Chase Mcquire- protagonist, friend of Fin
Violet Young- protagonist
Riley Brooks- protagonist
Peggy Armstead- protagonist
(possible) Liam Shaw- protagonist
(possible) Raymond Parker- protagonist

(name ideas for other chars) Cameron Brudenell, Kenneth Eve, Pedro Moreno, Orwain Stephens, Kendrick George, Robert Beaumont

*I want my characters to be balanced ethnicity-wise, not because I want to avoid people judging me for strictly white chars or whatever, but because these chars are from all around America. America is extremely diverse, so my chars shall be diverse.*

**More on all of these later**

(For myself: Char Profile setup)
Spoiler! :
Full Name:

Appearance:

Clothing:

Height/Weight:

Direct Relatives:

Personality:

Powers:

Notes:

POV Stuffz:
While most of my chapters will be from Fin's POV, I will occasionally flip to Ashley's if I believe it to be necessary to fill in info gaps or to get a view on what her ideas on the situation are. I believe strongly in NEVER retelling an entire situation from both chars' POVs, because that can get really boring. Instead, the story is advanced as the next char picks up where it left off. I will only use Ash in moderation. Don't want too much of her narcissism.

What part of this is Sci-Fi?
Plot twist. Nearly all of these chars have powers of some sort. I will address the meaning behind this later on, but the main conflict is how these teenagers gained them, why the Base has interest in Fin and his newfound friends, and how they can escape the horrid place. Is the Base government funded? Do they know what horrors go on inside? If so, what are they hoping to accomplish? I'll explore this later on.

Title?
I am actually hoping to come up with a different title for my story. I picked "Falling Deep" on a whim, just to have something. It doesn't really connect at all. If anyone has ideas, please please tell me! Otherwise, I'll just rename it later. Perhaps something with a play on words with Fin's name, like "InFINite" or something. :P

This is a good start! Hopefully I can go more in depth and add more that I have forgotten later on. Thanks for suffering through this with me!

~Night
Last edited by Sonder on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:08 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

~Fin Grace- Protagonist~

Full Name: Phineas "Fin" Grace

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Hazel eyes (not blue like the pic), short dark brown hair that gets wavy and a weird cowlick if he lets it get too long, one dimple, small scar over right eyebrow, nose is slightly crooked from breaking it as a kid. Skin is slightly darker than that picture, he is Latino-American.

Clothing: Likes sweaters and hoodies for cold weather, T-shirts underneath (often with nerd references), Converse, ragged jeans. Black coat and gloves in first chapter, for snow. Most of story, he is dressed in prison-wear: black body suit of slick, light material

Height/Weight: 5' 10'', more wiry than muscular, about 140 lbs.

Direct relatives:
Mother- Margaret Grace: stay-at-home mom
Father- Joel Grace: engineer
Sister- Kayla Grace: three year old younger sibling

Personality: Kind of person who tries his hardest to please everyone, but he is not very loud or particularly extroverted. He is good-natured and well-rounded, an extremely loyal friend who would be happy to stand by your side at any point in time. He has leadership qualities, but if another is willing to take the role, he will let them. He used to be more outgoing and friendly, but his past has made him more cautious and darkened his sense of humor. He became more morbid and started looking at life as a force that was trying to kill him. He was just starting to open up to Ashley, when a certain experience ripped all his hope to shreds. Despite all his troubles, he befriends naturally and cares too much for his own good. He tells himself that he needs to stop caring for others, but it is simply his nature. He likes to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that sometimes lets him get taken advantage of. He perseveres with quiet, but sometimes sassy, strength. He often thinks of quick remarks but doesn’t say them very often. He feels a great deal of fear but struggles to get through it. As the story progresses, Fin becomes louder and more confident, and his leadership really starts to shine through. His main goal is to return to his home, and mostly, to his baby sister.

Powers: Healing factor. Given that the damaging object is removed from his body, Fin can heal to uncharted extents. The worst he has experienced so far is a car collision that broke his neck and a knife through his rib cage, tearing his heart. The worse the injury, the longer it takes for him to heal. Afterwards, he is extremely drained and usually needs hours of sleep to recover. The Base is interested in Fin for medical and military reasons.

History: Phineas Grace was born to a young couple in the sleepy town of Cheyenne, Wyoming. He had a very normal childhood with his loving parents, and grew up to be a kind, well rounded character. He was the sort of person that people would know of as the guy everyone liked, but wasn’t super interesting. He had a small friend group, but his only true friend was Tristan Brown, a more athletic, louder kid who accented Fin’s weaker areas. The pair became inseparable. In middle school- high school, Fin started gravitating towards the theatre department (backstage work) and comic books, otherwise known as “nerd” interests, while Tristan went to sports and socializing. Peer pressure caused Fin to join lacrosse in eighth grade, but he wasn’t super serious about it. He mostly joined to hang out with Tristan. This was Fin’s only real claim to any sort of status in high school, and even then he was seen as too cool to be a nerd, but too nerdy to be cool. A dilemma. However, these petty issues were soon left behind, as sophomore year (16 years old) brought some monumental changes to Fin’s life. His baby sister, Kayla, was born in August before school started, to his mother who was remarkably older than it was thought suitable to have a child. Kayla was born prematurely, but it caused no real issues. Fin and his family were thrilled with this new addition to the family. Fin was (and still is) very protective of Kayla, as she is his only sibling, and very fragile. His protective attitude increased even more after the second major event of sophomore year: Tristan’s death. On April 17th, Tristan’s father came to visit Tristan and his single mom after staying away for years. It messed with Tristan’s head. He immediately called Fin after snapping and cutting himself. They met at their regular spot, a local yogurt shop not far from their houses. Fin succeeded in calming Tristan down and they ate froyo together. They discussed college and superheroes and whatnot for an hour or so. When Tristan was feeling better, they got in his pick-up truck, Old Man Sam. Tristan set down his froyo and reached for his seatbelt, and Fin did the same. A drunk driver flew into the parking lot and collided with the truck going 80 mph. The car basically collided with Fin’s head. Fin felt blood spray across his face (he doesn’t know if it was his own or Tristan’s) and the bones in his neck snap. Then he lost consciousness. When he woke, he was in the hospital, and the story was retold to him. Tristan had been killed. Fin had been discovered in the heap of wreckage, with only a deep cut in his forehead, despite the car colliding on his side. He had been in a coma for a week (most likely recovering from such a rapid healing spurt). Physicists said that his survival was impossible, he should have surely died from the trauma. Newspapers relayed his story as a miracle, pronouncing it loudly for a while. It was far from a miracle. Fin’s mother was a wreck, Tristan’s mother stopped speaking for months, and Fin was haunted forever. He blamed himself for the crash somehow, with all the what if I had only... questions. And unfortunately, his school did too. When Fin returned to school with only a few fresh stitches to speak for the accident, he was officially stripped of what little social status he had clung to before. Tristan’s friend group became Fin’s tormentors. The school gossipped about how Fin had killed Tristan. Even if it didn’t make sense, it made no less sense than how Fin possibly survived the crash. For the next year and a half, Fin was alienated, no friends, alone with his morbid thoughts. At the start of his senior year (August), he was approached by Ashley. She was a cheerful, intelligent, energetic person. She clung to him from her first day (he didn’t know why) and on. She helped him through his post traumatic stress and soon he felt like he could share anything with her. He was immensely grateful for this friend, any friend, and soon found himself falling in love with her. The accident had messed with his brain into thinking that if he got close to anyone, he might kill them, and this is why he fought his feelings for a while. The week before Christmas, the two were wandering the decorated streets of Cheyenne, and went into the city park. They flirted and teased, and eventually Ashley kissed Fin. He was so surprised and thrilled, allowing himself to think that maybe his life wasn’t hell after all. Then the worst happened. Ashley stabbed him in the chest, a test by the Base of his healing factor. Next thing Fin knew, he was kidnapped and his world was turned upside down. He was a prisoner of the Base.

Notes: The accident was the first demonstration of Fin’s powers. When a power first manifests, it is powerful in short bursts until the changes settle completely. This is what saved Fin’s life by healing his broken neck quickly. However, because of the irregular patterns of a new mutation, the cut above his eyebrow was not healed after his energy was drained focusing on the broken bones- his power focuses on the worst injury first, then onto the more minor injuries. This left a scar, a constant reminder of Fin’s worst memory. As Fin aged, his power evened out, so that there is a set amount of time it takes to heal each injury, and recuperation time required afterwards.
Last edited by Sonder on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:53 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

~Ashley- Antagonist~

Full Name: Ashley "Ash" Ivory Flint

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Blonde hair that reaches mid back, large green eyes (not blue), nose that slightly tilts up, large lower lip that makes her look pouty, high cheekbones.

Clothing: Ash is a stylish girl with a taste for sweaters, flowery blouses, skinny jeans and boots; occasional dresses and pumps, although she generally prefers comfort over fashion. However, most of the story she is dressed in a military-like, camouflage green uniform or a plain blouse and black slacks. When she is dressed for work, her thick hair is pinned back tightly.

Height/Weight: 5'5'', 120 lbs. Is stronger than she looks.

Direct Relatives:
Father- Cassius Flint: director of Base organization
Mother- Katherine Flint: deceased due to supernatural activities
Brother- Stephen Flint: deceased due to supernatural actives

Contribution to Plot: Also known as Agent 15, Ashley is a soldier/tech person for the Base. She was given a mission by the Council, specifically for her age, to befriend Phineas Grace and find out if he truly had the powers they were looking for. She betrays him after discovering that he is indeed a mutant, although nearly taking things too far as an act of rebellion. Ash feels deep resentment towards her father, the leader of the Base, who has put his job before his family for all of her life. He has never believed that Ash had any potential and often finds ways to push her away from the action. She wants vengeance to show her strength and independence, and optimistically this act will punish her father in some way. She feels that Fin is her mission, and got attached to the aspect of having a purpose on the field. When her father tries to push her away from Fin, she becomes even more rebellious. This can lead to conflict, even if she doesn’t have proper morals, she does have motives for perhaps helping Fin in order to enrage her father.

Personality: Ashley is a relentless, deceiving force of nature. She keeps her rage within her and recycles it into fighting power. She has a lot of anger.
Ash is the one that introduces Fin to his powers- by stabbing him in the heart. This episode shows the extent of her ruthlessness, and that she can prevent herself from forming personal ties of any kind. She views life as a mission. Everything is a to-do list, every action just another subject to be crossed out. She is a fabulous actor and fools many, but deep down she is basically a sociopath. Or maybe she was just broken and exposed to too much before her time. Who knows?

Powers: None (that we know of).

History: Ashley was born in Los Angeles, California, to a successful actress and a government agent. Her parents never really loved each other, but her father liked the fame and her mother liked the excitement of having a such a mysterious husband, and they had two children together. Stephen, Ash’s older brother by two years, was the golden child of the family. He was a sports god. He was artistic. He became a voice actor at age five. And, it turned out, a very good secret agent. Mr. Flint loved Stephen for his advantages at the Base, which started out as a very small organization devoted to studying recent supernatural events occurring in young people, starting about a decade before Ash was born. As it started to grow, they were in need of spies to be on the lookout for teens with mutations. The Base was moving on from studying reports from willing subjects. They wanted to study the people. They needed many more than they had. The Base had become corrupt with the thoughts of money that could be produced by mutated peoples for military, medicine, or other purposes, and so had Mr. Flint. When Stephen and Ashley entered schooling, Mr. Flint had drilled it into their heads: “If someone is acting strange, you take it straight to Daddy.” Stephen helped the Base take in a subject when he started middle school, a kid with a hypnotic voice. He had noticed that the boy simply talked to teachers and his grades would become astounding, when he hardly worked at all for them. Stephen became legendary, being the youngest agent to assist a capture, and immediately gained a position at the Base. Mr. Flint decided that the family would move to Utah to be closer to the organization, now that two people worked there. Ash’s mother decided that she would prefer to live in California, where her job was, and the parents split for “a while”, as they told the kids. When Ash was finally of age to work, she was still seen as the baby sibling. She resented Stephen for being so much better than her and being the apple of her father’s eye. She was determined to make a name for herself too, and hopefully gain her father’s affection, like she had seen with Stephen. However, before she could do so, a horrible turn of events occurred. A teenager with control over electricity in California had evaded the Base’s attempts to capture him, twice. Ash was fifteen at this time, her brother seventeen. The teenager discovered where Mr. Flint’s ex-wife was living, and took her hostage in a desperate attempt at freedom for himself. He bargained with Mr. Flint, saying that he would free Mrs. Flint if he was granted freedom and wasn’t pursued by the Base for the rest of his life. The teen was naive, and believed Mr. Flint’s message agreeing to his terms. He released Mrs. Flint and started to leave the home, confident that he had secured a future for himself. Of course, Mr. Flint had not been about to let such a valuable specimen simply walk away, and had sent enforcements to capture the teen once and for all. The teen walked out of the home and sensed the troops’ electrical pulses, immediately alert that the terms had been broken. He had been lied to. He dashed back into the shelter of the Flint household, but not before he was shot in the back by a stun gun. The teen was ultimately captured, but not before he reached out with his power and stopped electric connections in the brains of those in the surrounding area. Stephen Flint had been assisting the operation and rescue of his mother, the youngest agent at the Base. His father had trusted him with the mission. The teen sent out his final attack, and in that moment, Ashley lost her mother and her brother in the same day. This moment traumatized Ash and could be pinpointed as the events that pushed her over the edge. She refused to be broken, however, and immediately threw herself into intense training to become an agent at the Base. She passed her required schooling in a third of the time an average child takes, as her father had put her in a rapid-learning program when they had moved to Utah. She learned to kill her emotions, and learned to transform her rage and sadness into fighting power. She has a hatred for the powered community, but her hatred for her father is in constant testing. Her father constantly tells her how much better Stephen was, and this enrages Ash. He never wants to let her out on the field, most likely because of what happened to Stephen, but she takes this as demeaning and offensive. She is determined to prove her worth, take her anger out on the “muties”, and punish her father for failing to see her potential. She finally found her personal mission and purpose. Now, all she needs is time...

Notes: Ash has three distinct personalities: a snarky, rebellious side that she uses when working at the Base, the front of a happy, naive girly girl that she uses for Fin at the beginning of the story, and an occasional crazy side when she completely snaps. Ash is not mentally stable, but she is good with appearances.
Last edited by Sonder on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~Thoreau

254 Reviews

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:26 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

~Chase- Protagonist

Full Name: Charlie "Chase" Allen McGuire

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

African American- light brown skin, short black hair, pierced ears, long scar over his heart from surgeries

*His mutation causes his eyes to be a solid black, with no whites and no prominent pupils, which gives him a slightly emotionless appearance. He makes up for this with exaggerated expressions with hands, mouth, eyebrows, etc.

Clothing: Majority of story, seen with black jumpsuit, stud earrings, and a red wrist-strap that resembles a watch (more on this later). If given a choice, Chase can be pretty fashionable, but he only dresses up to amuse himself rather than appeal to others. He likes colorful skinny jeans, bow ties, suspenders, plaid patterns, name brand shoes, etc. In warmer weather he is obsessed with brightly colored sunglasses.

Height/Weight: 5’5.5’’(he would say he's 5'7''), medium build, 135 lbs

Direct Relatives:
Father- Unknown, location unknown
Stepfather- Jeremiah Mcquire - insurance company employee
Mother- Allison Mcquire- waitress

Contribution to Plot: Fin’s guide to the Base when he arrives, then become close friends. Chase is seen as the “leader” of the group of friends at the Base, but Fin soon becomes his partner-in-crime.

Personality: Diagnosed with ADHD and heart problems as a young kid, it’s no surprise that Chase has a sort of restrained, energetic feel to him. He suffers because he is extremely hyper and desires movement, but too much could be dangerous for him. This meant a lot of drugs, hospital visits, and surgeries as a kid. These events helped develop his carefree, humorous attitude, because he views life as an adventure to enjoy each day after nearly losing it several times. He’s a total prankster and is constantly cracking jokes. He has a sort of motherly characteristic to him as well, desiring to help those who are down or in pain. He’ll help while joking the whole time, of course, but deep down he cares deeply for all of his friends. His difficult experiences also gave him strength, and he is a stable individual who is capable of caring for himself. His only real fear is of having a heart attack or failing his friends.

Powers: Superspeed/ heightened reflexes. His heart issues prevent him from running full speed for long periods of time, but sometimes Chase makes exceptions, such as walking to the speed of running for a normal human, sneaking up on people with bursts of speed, etc. His brain is wired for a faster lifestyle, even if his heart isn’t. This means he notices things before others and reacts quicker.

History: Chase was born in Hell’s Kitchen, New York City, with a congenital heart defect, aortic atresia, which means that a valve was missing in his heart when he was born. This was probably caused by his mother’s unhealthy tendencies, such as heavy drinking, along with a premature birth. His mother loved the wild lifestyle in her early twenties, and Chase was the result of a very short relationship. He never knew his father, and Allison was bitter towards the unwanted baby. She had been up for adoption or even abortion, but her religious mother had urged her not to. Thus, a strained relationship between Allison and and her child. Allison grew to like Chase quite a bit, but she was never made to be a mother, and definitely not prepared for his special needs. His grandparents helped support her through the first few surgeries, but even with that help they could barely afford the bare minimum. When Chase was five (and through the worst of it), she married his stepfather. Jerry hated Chase the moment he saw the hyper, disabled kid. Both parents were heavy drinkers, and when his mother’s parents passed away by the time Chase was twelve, he was quite on his own. He never did very well in school, but he was very good at persuasion and often got teachers to bump up his grades. He could never join sports, despite his desire to run, and this was disappointing. He was great at socializing, however, and his high school friends where his main support system. He was always playing pranks on people and was known for his ability to sneak up on people and yet never be surprised by anyone else. Life was decent, until he had a terrifying episode in his sophomore year. His stepfather found out that Chase had pulled a prank on a teacher and received a suspension. Jerry was drunk and went to hurt Chase, so Chase ran away from the house. Ran. He discovered the true extent of his hyperactivity, and realized that he could run faster than the speed of sound. He broke many windows of his apartment building as he sped away. Later, through testing at the Base, they estimated that he could run almost twice the speed of sounds, about 675 mph. However, that night, Chase pushed himself too far. His weak heart nearly stopped, unaccustomed to the stress superspeed put on it. Chase collapsed on the side of the road somewhere in New Jersey, 75 miles away. A concerned citizen called 911 and he was revived at the hospital. When he opened his eyes at the hospital after the incident, they had begun to darken to the solid black they are today. This was a physical symptom of his mutation. His story reached the newspaper, alerting the Base to his existence. He was later lured in with the prospect of a job opportunity working for newspaper, which turned out to be a trap.

Notes: Nickname "Chase" was given by friends at the Base as a joke about his speed and prankster tendencies, and it stuck. He answers to Charlie, but he prefers Chase now. He has a tendency to dance around when walking, as his extra energy is hard to contain. The Base has helped replace his heart even further, so that he is able to run short distances at top speed. However, he cannot do it for too long without presenting a risk. This is why the Base installed a device that allows him to monitor his heart activity and rate, which is connected to the red wrist device Chase wears. The device also contains a tracker. This way, Chase cannot escape without putting his life at immediate risk.
Last edited by Sonder on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Thoreau

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 am
View Likes
Corncob says...

This is so awesome!!!
A couple of advisory remarks:

1) The scar above Fin's eyebrow..does it have to do with the car crash he was in? Either way, I suggest explaining the reason behind it, as scars are usually significant things in stories if they're mentioned.

>>Ashley is nearly identical to the way I imagined her. That's pretty scary amazing.

2) All the stuff you explained about Fin's personality about being open to make friends and caring too much for his own good, as well as explanations of his past-- I don't recall them being touched upon much/at all in your actual chapters. Make sure to outline his personality as well as you can, perhaps with ways he makes friends with the newly-introduced characters of the book. Also, his past seems fairly important as it makes him sort of a loner/"dude with a scarred past". I like how you haven't revealed much (any?) of it to your readers, as we are still wondering exactly who Fin Grace is. But you're a couple chapters in, so I suggest starting to ease us more into Fin's life before Ashley/his terrible past/his relationship to Tristan.

Sorry if that was confusing and all sort of thrown in your face; I was just writing down everything that came to my mind as I was reading your journal and vaugely trying to format it into a sense-making paragraph. Anyway, I love your journal so far and I can't wait for more! Keep writing!!!! :D

254 Reviews

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 am
View Likes
Sonder says...

Thanks for the comments +1! Many of these ideas I have so far are just the basics, the bare backbone of what I want to build on. I'll certainly look into all of those. :)
~Thoreau

158 Reviews

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:30 am
View Likes
Corncob says...

Ok, awesome. Let me know if you need anything! :D

254 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:23 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

*Anyone who may be reading this (idk if anyone is) but I redid all three character profiles prior to this*

~Mr. Flint- Antagonist~

Full Name: Cassius Flint

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Very similar appearance to Ashley, green eyes, close cropped blond-grey hair, pouty lower lip, high cheekbones

Clothing: Mr. Flint likes his suits. He prefers black or dark grey, with dress shoes. He is never seen dressed down by his employees, ever, amen. This adds to his foreboding air that keeps people in check through fear. What people don’t know is about the Glock 36 hidden in his jacket at all times.

Height/Weight: 6’3”, in good shape

Direct Relatives:
Daughter- Ashley “Ash” Flint: Agent 15, employee of the Base
Wife- Katherine Flint: deceased due to supernatural activities
Son- Stephen Flint: deceased due to supernatural actives

Contribution to Plot: Mr. Flint is the leader of the Base headquarters in America, specific location classified. He oversees all processes of testing and production involving power-possessing persons. He is also father of Agent 15, Ashley Flint. Their strained relationship causes issues with rebellion. After the incident with Ash’s brother, along with Mr. Flint sexism, he is very reluctant to send her into the field, preferring to use her as a techie. Ash doesn’t hide her resentment for him, but Mr. Flint could care less. He refuses to treat her like a proper agent, and this may be his downfall.

Personality: The first impression one gets of Mr. Flint is emotionless and calculated actions, but with a looming sense of danger. He never acts in a threatening way, but you know that if you get on his bad side, you will regret it forever. He holds silent grudges for long periods of time, striking with his punishment after people have forgotten their fear. This makes him terrifying. He views everything as a mission, as an advantage or a threat. If a threat can be nullified to be used for the prosperity of the Base, he does it. If not, the threat is eliminated. This is how he views every person at the Base. Nothing gets between him and his job. The only people he respects are the Council members, those who sponsor the Base. He has a special hatred for powered persons (addressed in History), and his only interests are in the money and “fixing” the world. He thinks the only use mutated people can serve is to be weaponry, medical assistance, or a threat to the “pure” human. Therefore, they must be taken by the Base and classified as one of these groups. He is racist and sexist, themes that he attempts to conceal when in public but is obvious in his all-white, primarily male agents.

Powers: None. He thinks himself to be the proper example of a “pure” human. He has sort of Hilter-istic views in this way.

History: Mr. Flint has worked at the Base for about 24 years now. He joined in his very early twenties as an agent who searched for reports on powered people. He was a foster child and was a troubled youth, but he pulled himself from that life and into a well-paying job at the Base. He worked his way up in the ranks until he became the manager himself. He thinks of himself as a very independent, strong man. His hatred for “muties” started when he was investigating crimes committed by those with genetic advantages. He was led to believe that all mutated persons would grow to be criminals and threats, and this affected the recruitment system’s views of “the earlier we can get to them, the better”. This is why many muted teens are brought in not long after traumatic experiences exposing their “curse”. Mr. Flint has devoted the Base to studying the genetics of those mutated in order to find advantages in them for military or medical uses. He does not view mutants as people, but more like diseases he is simply studying to discover a cure. He took a break from the Base for a few years to live in California with his actress wife, following a lead that there may be freaks in the Hollywood industry. While these people were a newer phenomenon, Mr. Flint estimated that some of them may have lived to his age without being detected. Finding nothing, he later moved back to Utah without his wife and with his two children. After the incident, (see Ash’s profile) Mr. Flint became more feverish in his search. He thinks he is a savior of the world, of sorts, and the Council believes they are sponsoring just that. Any military or medical profits that come out of the Base are used for the good of “pure” humans, and against the powered persons they were derived from. Mr. Flint’s job became his obsession.

Notes: A person’s powers manifest when they are a few years into puberty. The youngest recorded was at fourteen years old. Males often manifest later. The symptoms showing that a person is mutated can be physical, but not always. Those with physical symptoms are often taken in by the Base at earlier ages than those without. As the mutations are genetic, if there is a pair of siblings in close age proximity, they may be taken together. The Base has not been discovered, and it will probably stay this way as some government workers are part of Council and cover for it. The kidnappings are far and in between, and the media unit of the Base ensures that the news stories are kept quiet.
Last edited by Sonder on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Thoreau

158 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:41 pm
Corncob says...

I really have nothing to suggest revising! This is excellent and paints a fantastic portrait of Mr. Flint. Superb job!
Just a few questions, although these might be spoilers: What is Glock 36?
and What were the "supernatural" events that caused the deaths of Stephen and Mrs. Flint?
Great job, and keep writing!

254 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:12 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

A Glock is a type of handgun that agents use (FBI requires them), the number is just the type. A 36 version happens to be very slim so it fits well into a coat pocket.
I redid Fin and Ash's profiles extensively. A lot of questions are answered there. :)
~Thoreau

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright