z

Young Writers Society

New Wave (not really tho)

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 pm
theyouth says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:What is it, in specifics, that makes this different?

As for the rest of the post - point well taken - remember, I am learning about this too - hopefully this is a better means of communicating the idea -

this was copied from my website today -

11 5 2014

objectives of blondyn.com (and beyond) -

1. reinvent the Website

At present, the paradigm of the 'World Wide Web' is in a sense, very one dimensional.
For example, any given 'Site' within the World Wide 'Web' bears no tangible connection to another website - hence the question:
Where is the web?
While the answer to that wonder is beyond the scope of this post, here's a thought:
For future, sites should 'hyperlink' with one another, thus create a 'webwork', or 'network or websites'.
In theory, creating an ecosystem of websites is a means to increasing one's presence in the WWW via channels of interdependent promotion, with each 'webwork' unique, competing for some superior integration.
A simple way to accomplish this is with a 'Hyperlink Page' on your website, tailored to redirecting visitors to the sites of your network.
i.e. - (almost) - §uper§tring§ite

2. own Virtual Identity

The Social Media Website is a tool of great importance; it is not a substitute for Virtual Identity.
Ownership of a Website (Domain Name) = Ownership of Virtual Identity (Virtual Name)
All our g-mail accounts belong to Google.
All our social media accounts belong to the social media networks.
One's routine facebook 'presence' - for example - is by large, actually a measure of how 'present' facebook is; each of us, a pixel of the big picture.
This is fine, but it should be right to have one's own picture too (if, of course, you want)
To own a Domain Name is to have part ownership of the WWW and who knows what role a website could play in a high-tech 21st Century.
Remember -
Great rolemodels are always in demand (like major)
Why not start create a Website - a Publishing Center - of your talent - your business - your beautiful self expression.
Connect, promote, etc.

3. create Creative Commons Capitalism

Creative Commons Capitalism is a financial system founded at the individual level in accordance with one's Core Values, and the role they play in the function of Assessing and Attributing Value.
It is in the nature of the creator to want to give the creation.
What one creates of the Mind, Heart and Will should be given and given freely, if only because of the ability to deliver it to the light.
If the individual assesses Value from the creation, one should reciprocate some creation of value - the most standardized, 'common-denominator' form, naturally, being money.
Credo goes like:

to create is to love is to value; to value is to love is to create

one day at a time

let me know more questions if you like -

jb

http://www.blondyn.com
Last edited by theyouth on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I'm not sure you understand just how much work and planning goes into software. I'm not a professional computer programmer, but I can tell you from experience that if you do not plan out your program before you start, it comes out a snarled and mangled mess that causes more problems than it solves, and one of the biggest problems is that you have to rewrite everything in order to fix the problems.

The software development process is also very rigorously documented whenever you have more than one person working on it because otherwise, you wind up with a useless mess of code. In order for a group of people to collaborate on a program (or any project for that matter), everyone else needs to know what the goals are, how they're supposed to be accomplished, and how to not get in each others' ways. Documentation, planning, and organization are all essential to working collaboratively when it comes to writing any sort of program, especially programs that are directly interfacing with people (who may or may not use the program as intended, which you also need to account for in the design).

With that said, I agree with you that web-based publishing is the way of the future. I'm actually working on a web-based publishing platform myself, and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to launch it to (at least) moderate success. The thing is, there is a lot to consider when talking about web-based publishing, and there are a lot of disadvantages to web-based publishing that are not even factors when considering traditional publishing routes.

One of the biggest issues with web-based publishing is the low barrier to entry. Literally anyone with internet access and a functional keyboard can publish anything they wish online. However, because everyone can do it, and a lot of them do do it, there is a massive, massive glut of web-published works out there, to the point where potential readers have no idea where to look or even how to find a story they might otherwise love and follow to the bitter end.

Search engines have limitations (even the almighty Google), and people are less likely to look for something they're not even sure they'll find, instead sticking to things and places they know already have things they like. Add in how 99% of everything is bad, and finding the 1% that isn't bad in an endless sea of words is incredibly difficult.

And this is the main benefit of publishers; they filter out the bad so the readers don't have to. The internet equivalents would be recommendation lists, rankings (like most popular/viewed/etc.), and link exchanges.

Fundamentally, whether you publish on the internet or not and where you decide to publish on the internet has a lot to do with whether or not you desire visibility. Publishers and curated websites provide greater visibility than just going out and publishing in a random place on the web on your own, and while publishing in a random place on your own can result in your work gaining visibility, the chances of that are so incredibly slim now that the internet is as massive an entity as it is. The early days were quite different, because back then, there weren't nearly as many websites as now, and personal sites were the best way to get your work out there, but those days ended years and years ago. The internet now is a completely different entity than it was back then, and from what I can see, what you're proposing isn't really feasible now, even though it might have been so back then.

The reason why a lot of people go through publishers is to get their writing out there to other people who will enjoy it, but who would not otherwise find it.

You talked a bit about the competition in the traditional publishing world, but you don't seem to realize just how much competition exists in the digital world: it is much, much greater than in the competition traditional publishing.

As for the web-based methods you mentioned, I could go into depth about why they are far from ideal (especially PDFs), but that's less of an issue than "how to gain and maintain visibility".

Also, what you're proposing sounds exactly like a webring, and those died out almost a decade ago back when search engines like Google got decently good at finding things on the internet.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 am
theyouth says...

dude, get real

1220 Reviews

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:52 am
View Likes
Kale says...

That's all you have to say?

What a shame. I wouldn't have minded sharing some of the things I've researched about markets, deployment methods, and new developments in web technology, but if that's your response, I see no further reason to dissuade you from attempting to use methods that were abandoned years ago by the majority of internet users.

Good luck with your projects. Even if no one else appreciates them, that you went out and completed them is something to be proud of.
WRFF | KotGR

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:12 am
theyouth says...

there really isn't enough time in a day to respond to a post that begins like this -

Kyllorac wrote:I'm not sure you understand just how much work and planning goes into software.

try targeting one topic of discussion at a time;

and by the way, most programmers would agree - 'html' is not 'software'

1220 Reviews

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:30 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I was addressing how you described novels as software, mainly how the process you described involved no organization, planning, or clear communication of goals between participants. Software is not developed on the fly like you described, and so your analogy of a novel as software falls flat. Even open source projects are well-documented, have clear goals, and are organized by contributors to ensure no one gets in each others' ways.

There was nothing in my post about HTML being a form of software, which you would know if you actually read my post.
WRFF | KotGR

Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:31 pm
theyouth says...

still working to revise/clarify the idea -

questions, thoughts or ideas aimed at improving the design welcome -

_______

1. reinvent the Website

- At present, the paradigm of the 'World Wide Web' is in a sense very one dimensional.

- For example -

- Any given 'Site' within the World Wide 'Web' bears no tangible connection to another website, hence the question:

- Where is the web?

- The answer to that wonder is far beyond the scope of this post, so here's another thought:

- For future - sites should simply 'hyperlink' with one another, or create and coordinate a simple connection.

- Think 'webwork.'

- Think 'tapestry'.

- The opportunity for new relationship amidst a website ecosystem - a neighborhood of presence, where roads and bridges - to the WWW Beyond - are built along the dynamic endeavors of the biosphere.

- For the time being, practicing this with a 'Hyperlink Page' on the §uper§tring§ite, labeled § § §.

- The page is tailored to very simply display hyperlinks of those other websites within your webwork.

-Question to ask is whether you could dig your own domain right here - http://www.blondyn.com/superstringsite.html

2. own Virtual Identity

- The Social Media Website is a tool of great importance; it is not a substitute for Virtual Identity.

- Ownership of a Website (Domain Name) = Ownership of Virtual Identity (Virtual Name) = Ownership of one stock note of the WWW.

- What to do with one stock but make it split?

- Your domain name as your IPO - a realm to and deliver something of absolute value and truth.

- This is not something to do for a couple months; this is something to layer across a lifetime - a website portfolio of your expression - your business - your fancy for customizing accordingly.

- To invest in a website is to invest in virtual control.

- All our g-mail accounts belong to Google.

- All our social media accounts belong to the social media networks.

- One's routine facebook 'presence' - for example - is by large, actually a measure of how 'present' facebook is; each of us, a pixel of the big picture.

- All this is fine - but it should be proper to have one's own picture too (if, of course, you want)

- If you're a kid, great time to kick off; for the youth, never too late to start:

- Where do you fit into the life - into the love of a Universal 21st Century?

* Great rolemodels forever in demand (like major) *
* Connect, promote, etc. *
* §uper§tring§ite template in works *

3. create Creative Commons Capitalism

- Creative Commons Capitalism is an economic system integrated with the Core Values of the individuals and the role they play in the function of Assessing and Attributing Value to a creation freely given.

- First of all - why do this -

- To start, it is the nature of the creator to want to give the creation.

- What one creates of the Mind, Heart and Will should be given freely, if only for the opportunity/potential to bring it to the light.

- The proposition is basically this - if one assesses Value from the Creation, one should attribute Value to the Creation - money, or some worthy collateral.

- To invest in what you appreciate, or value, will encourage growth of parallel creation.

- Plus, to give and receive is integral to the nature of things and such.

- Credo goes like:

to create is to love is to value; to value is to love is to create;

_______

1220 Reviews

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Any given 'Site' within the World Wide 'Web' bears no tangible connection to another website

...what? Are we looking at the same internet? Last I checked, websites of all sorts linked together with other websites all the time. It's the norm, and it's actually how search engines find and index websites to show as search results. Basically, web crawlers go through websites and follow links to other sites, finding links on those sites to follow, and so on until whatever specified depth of link crawling is completed.

If websites didn't link to each other, search engines wouldn't be able to exist, and finding websites you were interested in would be a much more difficult process, like back when the internet first became commercialized.

This idea of yours has already been done, and while it was effective back when the internet was first beginning, there are much more efficient alternatives now, such as search engines and social media sites.

You also don't own a web domain. You license it for your own use, which is why there is a recurring fee. As part of the license, you have exclusive rights to use the domain name and server space to host your site, but only for so long as you continue to pay for it.

The only way to really own a piece of the web is to own your own physical servers. Domain names aren't required to access a site (though they make it much simpler), and so long as you have the physical servers up and running, you have complete control over your little piece of the internet.

In any case, neither licensing a domain name or owning your own servers gives you a share of stock in the internet. The internet is not a company that has stocks to be traded, and just owning a piece of it doesn't earn you money (it tends to be quite the opposite in reality because servers are expensive and need to be maintained).

As for the Creative Commons license, a core part of the most commonly used license is that creative works may be freely modified or distributed with the permission of the creator so long as the distributor does not modify or distribute for profit. Generally, the only one who can profit off of a work licensed under the Creative Commons is the original creator, unless the original creator explicitly gives permission for the work to be freely used. There are actually several variations of the Creative Commons licenses, and being aware of what is and is not allowed is very important as not all Creative Commons licenses allow redistribution or modification of a creative work. Knowing the terms of the license used in any situation is incredibly important.

On a completely different note, I'm puzzled as to why you're using the contour integral symbol in place of an S.
WRFF | KotGR

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg