Young Writers Society

Traunt's Pre-Writing Journaliddlydiddly

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

~ My Pre-Writing Journal Notes ~

*ahem* Hi. So, I have decided to do NaNo this year after a lot of debating with myself I'm perfectly insane, I promise you. School may try to pull me down, but I am determined to fight for time and work my fingers off. So here I am! Ready to confuse you with my talkativeness and blabbering on.

This is just to help me plan my way to success of finishing a novel after three years. You have a winning streak by completing a trilogy (plus a few other books in between) and then you lose it for a few years. Well, from today I'm going to get it back!

☑ First things first. The little in between, nitty gritty, glue-like info that helps mold your story and give it that personal feel. To give it substance. I find giving your story some extras livens it up. As we do in StoryBooks (SB's), we need to give your characters those weird obsessions and habits. We need realism, people! Most used place. Cute pet. Small things count too you know.

I don't know if you're like me, but I find the tit bits of info in a story really enjoyable. When you read up on the MC's (main character) favourite book/movie/food, you feel like you've connected to him/her because they have that similarity. Just add 'em in! It's great.

Anyway... here goes.
Last edited by IamTraunt on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Before you judge me...
Make sure you're perfect.

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”
― Mark Twain

254 Reviews

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Extra info!

Before letting you in on any sneaky spoilers, this story is Sci-Fi based. Some of you will have seen the first part of the first chapter out somewhere along the lines, but for you who haven't... I am a big fan of people with Powers/Abilities that are abnormal. So, obviously this is centered around a world with men, women, children who have these talents.

Side Note: I may get a little crazy when discussing this. #Fangirling.

My story is set in the present, not specifically 2014, just "now". Science Fiction isn't always future based. Now that's my other story. This *right here* will not focus on futuristic society. No, no. Definitely not.

The main places are typical. College, home, HQ; ect (I'll go into more detail later). And if you want to include MacDonald's, then sure! This story does have a MacDonald's in it... much to my dismay. But yet another key point to a story (that is set in the "now") is that people like you including this that they visit/take part in/play in it because it is again relaying to them.

The language is typically English. I went down the road of writing in American and floundered tremendously. Sticking to your natural language is a lot easier and makes your writing seem better. If you're America, I suggest writing American. If English, write English. Do what comes easily. It helps you out A LOT.

I also have two MCs. A challenge? Certainly. Opposite genders. Totally different personalities, likes, how they'd act. And yet they have to work together. *Oooo. Spoilers!*

The little add-ons in this will be how the MC's friend loves Superheroes. You will hear a lot about that. Don't know hardly anything about them? Don't worry. Nothing confusing will take place. Trust me. (Told you this revolves around the Super-powered world).
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

254 Reviews

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:37 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Character Development!

Onto those lovely characters. And not so nice. I have quite some varying characters, which I like. I also have a character you love to hate in here... So. Be prepared!

Differing characters is a great thing to work with. It shows that your work is fresh, not stale, and shows you are a good writer. I think everyone has that inner person that automatically can change to suit the character. Live them! Be them. It'll help loads.

☑ Protagonists:

So, this may get a little confusing seeing as the main characters are actually in opposition (antagonists) to one another at first. But hopefully you will understand this mess of a plan.

~ Alice ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Alice Maya Jefferson.

Age, DOB:
> Sixteen. 21st March.

Hair colour and style:
> Blonde with honey-coloured highlights. A swept over side fringe and straight—is just past her shoulders.

Eye Colour:
> Deep blue with hints of green. Pretty and big.

Height:
> Five foot six, 5'6. Average.

Notable things:
Like to wear scrunchies in her hair. Most likely blue.

College Student.

Relatives:
> Dad, Frank Jefferson.
> Mum, Mandy Jefferson.

[No other important relatives]

Personality:
Good natured. She is a confident, smart and loyal person who tries her best in mostly everything. Her curiosity often gets away with her and her tongue too. She tries to see the best in everyone, bur sometimes fails. Alice is mentally strong, in spirit and in will. Kind, but not a doormat—she knows how to be a good friend.

Powers: Umm... No spoilers! But she does have them.

~ Noah ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Noah Boravich.

Age, DOB:
> Twenty. 3rd November.

Hair colour and style:
> Blackish brown hair. Gelled upwards.

Eye Colour:
> Big and brown.

Height:
> Six foot two, 6'2. Tall.

Notable things:
The slit in his right eye brow. A knife scarred his forehead, leaving his eyebrow marred or split into two parts.

Relatives:
> None. Orphan.

Personality:
Opposite of Alice. NOT good natured. NOT loyal. He doesn't care if someone is good or bad, but if they are powerful enough to be of good use. He's aggressive, and he won't stand for anything. If he wants something, he'll get it no matter what. He is a fighter, physically and mentally. Barely anything stops him.

Powers: When close to people with abilities, he can "take" some of the aura of that power away from them and use the power until that aura fades/is replaced by other auras. Some auras linger than others, but the one Boravich is known for is his healing factor. Even he can't remember who he took it from. But because the power is not his, he can only heal himself to a certain degree, meaning scars. Lots of them.

☑ Minor Characters

These guys are still important! Don't forget 'em. Minor characters usually take the story down a certain route. Take Curley's Wife from Of Mice and Men. She made George kill Lenny because Curley was going to shoot him for murdering his wife. That was a massive turning point. SO. Minor characters are an ultimate yes.

~ Jefferson ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Frank Jefferson.

Age, DOB:
> Forty Nine. 19th September.

Hair colour and style:
> Brown-grey hair. Slicked back.

Eye Colour:
> Blue.

Height:
> Five foot eleven, 5'11. Average.

Notable things:
He wears square glasses.

Relatives:
> Mandy Jefferson. Wife.
> Alice Jefferson. Daughter.

Personality:
Workaholic, he "loves" or is driven to do his job. Determined, like Noah, he doesn't back down. Sometimes his work distracts him from what is important - his family. He is smart, struck and incredibly bossy. A born leader, but not an easy man to get along with. Difficult and stubborn.

Powers:
None.

~ Clarissa ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Clarissa Jones.

Age, DOB:
> Twenty. 1st February.

Hair colour and style:
> Cropped black hair, bobbed, and a fringe.

Eye Colour:
> Pale green.

Height:
> Five foot nine, 5'9. Average.

Notable things:
Wears black. All the time.

Relatives:
> None. Her mum died when she was eleven. Only relative she knew.

Personality:
Clarissa seems like a cold, unloving character. She is a Round Character, her actions and ways are complicated and she comes across as a mean, heartless person. But she is actually very sensitive and all she has ever wanted was to be loved and cared about. [Hint hint. This will be explained].

Powers:
Can disperse their body into smaller fragments, she can turn into a flock of bats, scattering into large area while retaining control over the different (pieces) bats. Some consider this vampirish, but she doesn't drink blood or like hanging upside down. The bats is only for teleporting. Will eventually grow tired so cannot travel to distant places.

... And more will come. But these are the main guys (and gals).
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

254 Reviews

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:25 pm
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

Other Characters!

These peeps here are still important, but they won't have the biggest parts. Some will have a big role in a certain part (beginning, middle, end; ect), and then some will always be there, but we won't get to know about them in a "deep" sense. Perhaps a few will change the current events. Others may not.

☑ More Minor Characters!

~ Shane ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Shane Lewis Hall.

Age, DOB:
> Seventeen. 4th December.

Hair colour and style:
> Short brown hair. No specific style, just sticks up.

Eye Colour:
> Hazel.

Height:
> Five foot six, 5'8. Average.

Notable things:
Always has a comic with him.

College Student.

Relatives:
[Not of importance]

Personality:
The "funny" guy. He's a joker, and he loves messing around, playing pranks—anything that classes as humorous. But he is mostly a sweet, friendly person who just wants to do his best in life and be happy. He's not much of one that stands up for himself because he hates arguing, so sometimes he gets trampled on. Other times, he will try to defend himself and others, and fails.

Powers:
None.

~ Renée ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Renée Phillips.

Age, DOB:
> Twenty Five. 9th July.

Hair colour and style:
> Short, black hair. Cropped afro.

Eye Colour:
> Brown.

Height:
> Five foot six, 6'1. Average.

Notable things:
Very buff. He looks like a body-builder in training.

Secret Agent. "Safety Assistant".

Relatives:
[Not of importance]

Personality:
A friendly person who just wants to get the job done right. He is a family guy—loving, kind and caring. He hates getting things wrong and always tries to liven things up. Unlike Clarissa, he's the one giving out all the love and care so-to-speak to feel loved. Bubbly and always there to talk to.

Powers:
Renée typically has the power to strength any muscle in his body, if it's one muscle or them all. So, strength.

~ Tiffany ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Tiffany Wilson.

Age, DOB:
> Sixteen. 27th August.

Hair colour and style:
> Long, dyed red hair. Up to her waist, wavy.

Eye Colour:
> Cold blue.

Height:
> Five foot six, 5'7. Average.

Notable things:
Wears a lot of make-up; bright red lipstick. Always seen with a crowd.

College Student.

Relatives:
[Not of importance]

Personality:
She's the mean, selfish brat that only cares about what her peers think of her. Her number one motive is her friends. Beneath all the make-up and bitchiness is a girl screaming "I just want to be liked and popular". Who she is is not her fully. She does have an attitude, but she is pressured into being awful to "lesser ones". If being pretty was the only thing that Tiff had to do, she'd be happy. Self-centered, yes, but not mean. Her childhood was based on what she wanted and her getting it. She sweet-talks her parents. Very spoilt.

Powers:
None.

~ Mandy ~

Spoiler! :
Full Name:
> Mandy Jefferson.

Age, DOB:
> Forty Six. 26th June.

Hair colour and style:
> Short blonde hair. Up to her shoulders, straight.

Eye Colour:
> Blue.

Height:
> Five foot five, 5'5. Average.

Notable things:
Always uses different bags.

Secretary.

Relatives:
> Frank Jefferson, husband.
> Alice Jefferson, daughter.

Personality:
Similar to Frank's. She is a work absorbed person. Unlike Frank, she is softer and does like to talk more. But not very much. She appreciates family more than Frank does. Also quite obsessive with things being clean and tidy.

Powers:
None.
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

254 Reviews

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:24 am
View Likes
IamTraunt says...

The World Around and Avoiding Plot Holes

☑ World building

In this little part I will discuss the countries, governments, how things work; etcetera. This is quite important to my story. You may consider writing about this depending on the genre - especially Dystopian.

Resources:
[Not of importance]

Language:
English. And of course, others that are used in our multicultural society. But let's just stick to pure Britishness.

Government:
Seen as Democratic.
But behind the scenes is a secret government who are seeking out gifted people. Government officials know and even participate in this secret service of capturing both good and bad "mutants".

Religion:
England is known as a Christian country.

Imports:
[Not of importance]

Exports:
[Not of importance]

Because this is short, I will go over another important aspect of writing.

☑ Plot holes

We really need to have a firm foundation when writing a story. Writing out your plan and answering some questions really helps! Did you know, J.K. Rowling once wrote a whole Harry Potter book and then realized she had a massive plot hole in the middle - so beware! These sneaky holes can crop up.

Spoiler! :
1: What is the quickest way to get from your starting point, to your ending point regardless of what you want to have happen, your characters, or your plot?

The quickest way to get from here to there is to have planned the big revelation or climax you want to have happen and then build up from how your characters are going to meet, interact and what they are going to do to do to get that certain point.

2: What is normal life like for your character?

As I said in the Character Profiles, Alice is a sixteen year old college student. She goes to lessons, goes to McDonald's, enjoys time at the Comic Book store with Shane and talks to Hanah at home via mobile/internet.

3: When is normal life disrupted and how?

Her normal life is disrupted when she finally meets up with Hanah. And she finds out who she really is.

4: What causes the story to go back to normalcy?

Umm... it never really goes back to normalcy. Unless you think hiding and running away from the government is normal.

5: How would a different character solve the problem given to the main character?

They would probably kill a certain person who I'm not going to mention. No spoilers from me. They would kill *that* person and never find out the truths behind everything.

6: What are the tools at your character's disposal to discover information?

The tools... Let's just say she has a few tricks. Such as her powers. You don't want to withhold info from her. Especially about her father.

7: What are the tools for your character to end conflict?

Powers. Duh.

8: How would the plot change if your main character wasn't in the story?

Well... the whole thing with Boravich wouldn't be different. Apart from the fact that he wouldn't be able to scare Frank with threatening his daughter. He'd possibly threaten Frank by shifting his attention to Mandy and not Alice.

9: Is the plot driven by the character, or outside events in the story?

The plot is definitely driven by over events. The main one being the government seeking out gifted people. I mean, hellooo, Boravich wouldn't be looking for ways to scare Frank into leaving him alone. In fact, Frank wouldn't even know about gifted people if the government didn't do anything about superpowered people.

10: Looking at your story from the perspective of someone who believes that all people are good in some way, what rationality would you have for your plot points?

This other person would aid Boravich and try to help him in some sort of way. They would probably treat him like an alcoholic that needs rehab and not a villain. They would also think the government is trying to protect people, even if they are taking in good and bad gifted people.

11: Now, looking at your story from the perspective of someone who believes that all people are in essence greedy and bound to do bad things, what rationality would you have for your plot points?

This other person would probably want to murder Boravich for the vile things he has done and suffering he has caused everyone. They would view in as a monster and not a human being.
They would also think the government is horrific for taking in and imprisoning innocent superpowered people.

12: What is the main conflict in your story, Man vs. Man, Man vs. Self, Man vs. Machine, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Nature...?

Girl vs. Dad and Government.
Man vs. Government.

13: What is the main point you want to say through the story?

That the people who you think may be good can be bad and the bad are sometimes good. And that everyone has a dark side and a good side.

14: If you had to write the story in 1,000 words, what would the plot be?

Well, that would be hard. There is so much involved in thus story.
I guess, a girl finds out she has gifts and tries to search for ones like her. She comes across a man who uses his powers for what seems like bad. People are trying to stop him and kill him. But she finds out he is doing all these bad things to draw away the attention from all innocent gifted people and to one day take down the corrupt organization.

15: If you had to convey the story in a five minute speech, what would you focus on?

I would say what I said previously.

16: Do you need all of your plot points to further the plot, or are some of them just for spectacle?

All are needed. I find it hard plotting as it is, so all are going to be used most likely.

17: Can your story start farther in without interrupting the plot or losing key details about any specific events?

Hmmm... Perhaps. If it jumped in where Boravich was trying to collect more powers in order to make it harder for the government to catch him and then him trying to take Alice's powers, them yes.

18: How would you summarize each of your chapters in 50 words or less?

Not all chapters are written so I cannot answer this.

19: Where does your character, and your reader, get a break?

Um, I guess... The end? It's mostly none stop action through out, so at the end when things work out for the best(?), then that's when you'll get that much needed, prolonged break.

20: What is the time period of the story?

As said before, "now". No time period. Just sort if in the present.

21: What would the story look like if you wrote it from the point of view of your least-favorite character?

Wow. Um. It would be very limited and there would be a lot of confusion and massive plot holes; etcetera.

22: If your last challenge came first, how would the rest of the story go?

Then there would be no story. Hahaha. I cannot tell you about this, but let's just say Boravich would running free.

23: What would happen if your conflicts all happened at the same time?

Good grief. It would be a battle field, a confusing mess, a disaster!

24: What sort of devices will you write into the story to get your characters out of situations where there is no solution, and how can they be used earlier to avoid getting into those situations?

If there was no solutions? Well... they'd be a lot of emotive language and coming to terms with and accepting what is happening. And to avoid the situation there would be characters loyalty changing and other characters loyalty staying firm and strong.

25:How do you justify the change, or lack of change, of your character at the end of the novel?

I can justify the change in Alice because after being around Boravich, she finally comes to terms with her powers and learns how to defend, fight and stick up for herself due to his teachings. She learns that you have to be strong and brave, not backing down or avoiding the situation.
Also, Boravich's changes are justified because he learns that being bad doesn't always help or even correct the problem. He learns that there is a certain way to do things and it is not a wy in which you hurt the innocent or go against the law.
Last edited by IamTraunt on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you judge me...

― Mark Twain

For in everything it is no easy task to find the middle ... anyone can get angry—that is easy—or give or spend money; but to do this to the right person, to the right extent, at the right time, with the right motive, and in the right way, that is not for everyone, nor is it easy; wherefore goodness is both rare and laudable and noble.
— Aristotle