z

Young Writers Society

Raven Luna's Pre Writing Journal

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:10 pm
Evander says...

This is an idea I have had in my mind since I was nine years old. It's my baby and I hope I can fix it. However, I am not really sure how to go through with this. I might have multiple view points, or I will have one. Given that with one, might have to write several other books.

The idea is that there are different dimensions. No one is the same in any dimension. Each person through any portal is different in their own special way. They just have to find that way.

Now, even though the view point is from a girl named Erin, the focus is on a Dimension Jumper named Page. However, there is a problem, Page has no memory of her past life. She remembers waking up on a planet called Earth, and then running. At least, that is what she has told Erin. Our view point character has no idea if what this Dimension Jumper says is true, or what dimension jumping really is. It has (perhaps) been kept a secret from Erin's world and the truth has to be exposed.

The question is: why is it a secret?! The world's population would not decrease much if the occupants decided to travel. Heck, from what Page and Erin's research has found, the population would actually increase. Which is a good thing, for that world at least. These two characters have to go talk to scientists, and leaders of counties and countries.

Back to the Jumper. She has this notebook... which she puts all her memories in. Everything that happened, she documents. It's a habit that Page thinks she had in her first life. Page looks about 13 years old, at least, in one form. She can change appearance at will, which is bad considering her situation. Given that she has no idea who she really is, tracing her heritage through appearance or DNA not optional, great. Getting down to Page's bare essence is one part of the book I have yet to cover yet. However, somehow, they find out that she is at most 15 years of age. One day, (somewhere around chapter 10) Erin discovers something personal in Page's backpack, a locket. Everyday the light in the small, shiny, clear locket grows brighter.

One more thing: Erin's parents do know about Page, in fact, they are one part of the reason that the girl was taken into their household in the first place. However, once they learn that the (perhaps) teen can "jump through dimensions" they quickly grow cold towards her.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:35 pm
Aley says...

That's a really interesting set of perimeters to make the book.

Not only do you hedge off what they could possibly know about the adult population by making them teens, sort of creating a top wall, but you hedge them in on both sides by creating a lack of knowledge through the government on the left, and through fear on the right. Then you stick land under them making their past less than effective to learn anything, which is how most things are found. That just leaves forward [living on], and backwards [what they've discovered].

I'm curious where you'll go with this, and I'm also curious if you've thought about these questions yet or not. If you haven't, maybe you can come up with an answer that will hold true through the pre-writing, or maybe it will help develop your idea in a new interesting dimension.

- How would world population increase be a good thing?
My idea here stems from things happening in overpopulated areas. It is easy to overpopulate a world and while it seems like more heads, more minds, more knowledge, that's not always the case. On a macro level, a large population which can be militarized, utilized as a labor force, and specialized is a good thing, but at the micro level when people overcrowd in cities, it becomes a cesspool for disease, and puts considerable strain on the functions already created to maintain the population's life supplies.

A good example of this is China right now. They overpopulated many of their cities and created a smog problem which has been dealt with in most of the world for centuries. However, since they're going through something of a labor boom in industry like other places, they don't have the constraints on companies and industry which keeps the city cleaner and this can cause long lasting ecological affects.

Another example is trying to over-farm created the dust-bowl which thus, in part, started the Great Depression [along with a lot of other factors]. Evidence of overpopulation can also be in a huge homeless poor class, or the appearance of ghettos and clogged transportation.

Clearly there are times when under-population can also be bad in places that have already industrialized. For instance, there are some cities in the United States which are experiencing financial crisis because of underpopulation and there's no way to get people to go back to the city because the industry from that area has left. At the same time, what do you do with it? After you build skyscrapers and plant cement tearing out trees that were there for thousands of years beforehand, you cannot re-create the peace of that in even 100 years. These become ghost towns. All the same, if you up the population of the world, they will go where they want to go, overpopulated or not. They won't populate somewhere that's been abandoned just like a hunter [sometimes] won't scavenge off something they didn't kill.

So, what is the population of your world like that increasing the population would directly increase the world? What would be better about it?

- Another question instead of Why is it a secret, why not ask What allows us to do this? Why hasn't science caught on and explained this? Where is the science that does or is our view of the world so flawed that we do not, as yet, have something to describe it?

This leads us more into a sci-fi story than a fantasy story, so it's your choice if you want to pursue it, but as the writer, I'd like to believe that you would have a basic understanding of what the rules and mechanics are of this dimension jumping. We will actually be focusing some on rules of worlds, so you can wait, if you want, to define that then.

324 Reviews

Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:13 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

Hey, Aley! Thank you for the response. Most of what I am saying is made up on spot, because younger me didn't really specify in journals and such. So... here I go.

Perhaps... it takes longer for most of the population to mature. So saying that the eighteen year olds -while having the education of Earth's eighteen year olds- do not have the bodily functions to produce children. So, let's say that they cannot have children until about... 22. Now, let's say that's there is about 30,000,000 estimated people in that world. (The estimated population of the whole dimension is not available because they scientists of the world have no idea if there is ET life out there.) So, if 30,000,000 is the number of people in Chryos (the decided name for the world), and at least half the population is 12. That means 15,000,000 people cannot physically reproduce for another 10 years. So, then deaths would have to be taken into account and such.

The whole world has enough to survive, but having a few million more would not hurt.

I guess, I will have to go into why the world is such a good place to visit or even live.

What I have down so far is that:
1. It's very beautiful, even though it is a world full of snow 12 out of the 18 months per year. The snow fall is often very light and glitters.

2. Magic is something that is granted. So, like a drivers license. So, if you prove worthy (through a series of tests at school and a special facility) a magic lituus. (A magic lituus like a magic wand only with a cooler word.) Any traveler that had plans to stay there could get cool magic powers.

3. The sun is... pretty to say in the least. With the stores selling special glasses just to look at the sun. The orange orb in the sky only makes the snow glitter more.

4. Coats are very warm and comfortable. Pretty cheap too, given the fact that someone could "magic" the materials.

What I have for the "why the dimension thing is a secret" is very little. I guess it was better for the plot?

I guess a member of power long ago learned about their being more than one "dimension" and grew very afraid. (I am very afraid of oblivion and things that never end. While my fear is not that great enough to totally ignore it and cover it up, the "person in power"'s probably is.) Scientists could try and bring up the notion, but society would turn it down and go with their lives. Just because it was (probably) written down that ideas like that were phooey.

That's what I got, really. Not sure where to take this.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

324 Reviews

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:18 am
View Likes
Evander says...

Second Challenge. Character Profiles

Name: Erin Mercy Cornery. (Mercy, Erinny, Error, Corner, Corny.)
Sex: Female.
Eye Color: Light brown. However, she uses contacts of all colours. Mostly to make her eyes purple.
Hair Color: Jet black. Although, bleaches her hair. So that she can dye it random colours. The colour used most often is red. Though, dark shades of blue are used too.
Skin Color: Olive.
Height: 5'1
Weight: 86 lbs
Memorable Features: She is often very quiet, though likes to help out. Only talkative when forced or around people she actually likes.
Race: She is a type of human. Not like "Earthlings" but close.
Ethnicity: Kyroish (will go into that)
Faults: She doesn't really like how she looks. English and writing in general is hard for her because the words cannot keep up with how she thinks, leaving her with many unfinished sentences as she starts on the next. Is very gullible.
Talents: Excellent at Math and recalling facts.
Family: Tobias Henry Cornery (father), Suzanne Gretel Cornery (mother), Noel Michael Cornery (brother, deceased).
Childhood: When Erin was born, her parents moved to PagoĢ±ma; a large town, full with lots of people and children. She had a happy childhood, playing in the ice themed parks, reading in the library. No one really talked to her but a few people. Erin was cool with that.

When she was five, her parents "ordered a baby brother" from Sotiras (who is like their Santa). His name was Noel. She became obsessed with him. All the five year old did was take care of him. She fetched him his bottle when he was hungry, she held Noel, brushing what wispy hair he had. Playing with him and his rattles, she would often tell him stories. Noel was her only true friend.

(Sometime before this event she got glasses.)

When she turned nine (Noel was four) they went to a party. It was an event for all ages and everyone in the county was invited. After arriving, Noel went to play with the other children and Erin went to hang out with the adults. Food was served and no one could find Noel. Erin and her parents went around, trying to find the toddler. Even when they got the hosts of the party to look, no one could find him.

*tw: rape One of the people (Blain Wither) had left shortly before Noel went missing. Later, after a few accusations, the found the boy's body at Blain's house. The child was dead and had markings and bruises all over his body. Erin wasn't the same since then.

She couldn't seem to focus or write down stories anymore, her performance in school had dropped. She started dying her hair an angry shade of red. The colour of her eyes kept on reminding her of her brother, so she used contacts.

Soon afterwards she started to talk to people again, Gretel and Lilac were her two friends.
Source of Income: She often has book sales. Or, lemonade stands.
Hobbies: Reading, plotting, and cooking.
Patience Breaking Point: When people constantly poke her to get her attention, and when others cry.
Status in Society: Magic-user, child, Middle Class.
Biography: N/A

German rat enthusiast.

324 Reviews

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 pm
Evander says...

Challenge Fourteen

The story is set in a library, our main P is breaking into. Erin finds a room in the back and sees a locket. She pulls out the locket and it starts to glow. She closes are eyes and BAM there is an ever changing shape shifter before her. (Sidenote: the shape shifter has a bag that is important.) Lot of drama goes on with who the shapeshifter was, or why they were there. Erin leaves the locket with Page and goes home. Trying not to think about it.

Next day Erin goes to the library and brings a blanket and some food. Page takes it, they talk. Erin believes Page is crazy. Erin's parents find out about Page sometime in chapter 2.

With it being [make up name for month here], the almost start of school year, Erin's parents think it would be good for Page to go to school. Erin thinks that they have also gone bonkers.

At school we find out that Erin has two friends, Gretel and Lilac. They don't really like Page, but their concerns are not vocal.

Page and Erin become close friends and Page raises some concerns about the society that Erin lives in. Erin was blind to this until she realized while shopping how stupid everything was. No one else believed her when she commented on the old laws about magic (something I will go into later), or how magic came to be. The scientists in the world were totally cool with magic defying the rules of [insert laws here]. Page and Erin have many conversations about this and Erin agrees that if Page needs to jump to any another dimensions, Erin is going with her.

Noel's birthday pops up and Erin becomes less talkative. Almost talking about anything makes her sigh and look away. Page becomes worried and tries to seek out her parents for help. The one week is very uncomfortable and gloomy.

After Erin becomes happier and ready to talk again, Page becomes quiet and goes away writing in a little journal. Erin, now worrying about her friend sneaks through the little bag of stuff. She finds a necklace that is similar to the one she found in the library, only this one is made out of ice... and glowing a lot brighter. Quickly putting away the locket, she feels her hands. They're now cold...

Some things happen about taking over the government. Then one day, Page is gone. No where to be found. Only a note is left.

(I think I went into too much detail and my story doesn't make much sense. Well, I hope I can make sense of it. The tenses might be messed up, but I wrote this all in a rush. Hm.. Not sure how I feel about this.)

German rat enthusiast.

Go in fear of abstractions.
— Ezra Pound