Young Writers Society

The Silver Journal

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Why hello there!

Welcome to the pages of The Silver Journal, an ancient tome which foretells the coming of a great story. XD So, November is an unfortunate time for me because that is when I have my major end of semester exams, which run throughout the entire month *rolls eyes*. This means I probably won't be able to actively take part of NaNo. However I have decided that Silver wants a slice of the fun and so is taking part of the pre-writing activities instead. Yay!! XD

So what is said novel which I am apparently working on? Well, I'm currently working on a novel called Snow: The Tale of A Cold Heart and I'm close (or well, at least I think I am :D ) to halfway with it. I've been having some ideas about the next novel in the series, which will hopefully be a sort of prequel thingo. So this is the place where I'll be documenting all my ideas, characters and notes so that it'll all be ready for when I'm ready to write it! @Aley this journal thing is a brilliant idea! I love it!

Please note that these ideas are all in the rough and may or may not make sense. I'm planning on experimenting a lot with this novel in terms of point of view, narrative structure and reliable/unreliable narrators. Also more often than not ideas in my head don't translate all that well onto paper, and because of that I often don't write notes for my stories at all, preferring to keep the entire thing in my head. So this is a new and exciting experience for me and I hope a not too confusing one for you! :)

Comments are welcome! :D

<3

Silvy
Last edited by Snowery on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

I've been toying with some names for this story and have yet to come to a decision. Should I keep it in the same style as Snow's? So something like Blah: The Blah of a Blah or just going with a different title structure altogether. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about this because of my neat-freakness telling me that titles in a series should run in a pattern because they look way awesome -.-

So at the moment, because the novel will be concerned with Blood Magic (to be explained later :) ) I'm thinking of calling it "Blood: The Story of an I'm Not Sure Yet"

So yeah just some random thoughts. There'll probably be more to follow very soon. :D
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:51 pm
View Likes
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

Instead of writing my literature essay, I find that I am having a much more fun time writing you instead. I am actually finding you quite addictive, it may have to do with the fact that you seem to be happy to listen to me ramble on about the prospect of my novel. I'm touched. You're a great confidant you know that right?

Okay so here I'm going to write the premise to this thing. Not really a blurb, just sort of a very brief background on the thing. I have it already written in a notebook somewhere in case I ever needed it. Where is it? My orange notebook. I swear I had put it- Aha! Found it under the couch XD

Deep in the jungles of Kandahar there are those who practice the darkest form of sorcery: Blood Magic.
Once, it had been confined to Kandahar, but as time passed their knowledge was passed onto others until there were those in Nordyire, Liandor and even as far south as Ascerai who practiced this cursed art. When strange things begin to occur at the Palace of Ascerai, worry and panic begin to spread. Palace officials begin to fear the worst. They call upon the aid of an Allurian Necromancer residing in Nordyire. Unable to attend herself, she sends her Adept Apprentice in her stead, who upon arrival discovers that not all is as it seems.

Okay so that was pretty crappy, but I'm terrible at summaries. I also know that it sounds pretty cliche (especially the closing line) but there will hopefully be a lot of factors that I haven't mentioned that will make it unique. I've just realised that it's actually pretty short too, compared with the time it took me to write it -.-
Also I know all the strange names of the countries sound confusing but I hope to insert setting segment pretty soon and at some point maybe even a really rough map, just so that everything can be seen relative to each other.

Okay, I've babbled long enough, not to mention my waiting essay (I'm coming honey!). So I'll see you around :D

Silvy <3
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm
View Likes
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

Clearly that essay is not going anywhere at this rate, seeing as I'm still here :/
Anyways, this segment will be about setting:

World

Hopefully there'll be a map here at some point :D
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:41 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Ascerai

Spoiler! :
Deep south of the continent, Ascerai is a land of the extreme cold. The monstrous mountain range, Jiandri's Teeth, form a natural border between it and it's northen neighbour, Liandor. The people are warriors and are skilled in the art of the sword. Many noble families in Rissen, Nordyire and Liandor send their children and guards for training there.

[i]More will be added I swear :D

Challenge the Eighth

Spoiler! :
Resources: Metal ore mines, livestock (fur, meat, leather, bone)
Language: Ascerian (it's actually really similar to Liandorean. It's only different in the way it's spoken, kind of like Arabic in the Middle East is or like Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian.)
Government: Ruled over by the Royal Family.
Religion: 
Imports: Hart Gems, wood, crops. 
Exports: Metal ore, leather, fur
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:41 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Alluria

Spoiler! :
A fairly large island located roughly south east of Ascerai, Alluria still remains an enigma or mainlanders. Allurian prefer to keep to themselves and rarely leave their island (generally if summoned for assistance or if sent on errands) so most of what commoner mainlanders know come from rumours and myths. Alluria remains to be one of the last "pure" lands in "the world" (TBN), which haven't been affected by The Eternal Night (Long story. Not going into it here unless I think it becomes relevant). Therefore it still looks as the world used to (golden tree barks, sparkling leaves, sparkling rivers, basically everything is just really vivid and the colour hues are really strong). They practise the magic of old and are somewhat arrogant and proud because they believe (and the rest of the world does too, really) that they are true masters in practising magic. They are often called upon by Lords and Rulers of the mainland in order to assist with problems.

Alluria is ruled by the King. However most would argue that the real power is in the hands of the Grand Mother. Women are held in high respect in Alluria and mothers are extremely revered. The act of giving birth is regarded by scholars as the purest, truest and strongest form of magic, along with the subsequent mother child bond. When women give birth they are given the title "Mother" and are addressed as "Mother Soso". Women who practise magic are also given the title "Mother" regardless of whether they have given birth or not. The highest ranked sorceress is called "Grand Mother". The king looks to he or advice and often needs to obtain her permission before passing laws or such like.
I'm not to sure about the social status of men with magic, most of them end up becoming shadow guards or sorcerers who remain on home soil. I think sorceresses are the ones that are usually sent to the mainland to perform tasks and such like.

Allurians are also known for their prowess with the blade. Though they are not warrior people like the Ascerians, their skill with the sword is beyond legendary. Not only is their sword practice deadly, but it is beautiful as well, often incorporated with dance. It is strongly believed that the Ascerians learnt much of what they know about swordplay and sorcery from the Allurians which explains their love of dancing and they're reputations as skilled warriors.

Challenge the Eighth

Spoiler! :
Resources: 
Language: 
Government: 
Religion: 
Imports: 
Exports:
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Liandorean Empire

Spoiler! :
South of Nordyire and north of Ascerai with whom it share the natural mountainous border called Jiandri's Teeth, the Liandorean Empire is comprised of Liandor, Rissen, The Forest (I swear I'll come up with a more original name later) an numerous small nation that surround it. It currently holds a peace treaty with both Nordyire and Ascerai.

The Empire is ruled by the Emperor Balthazar and the Imperial Family which comprises of his Rissish wife (to be named (TBN)), his oldest son and thus heir: Abrian, and his daughter: Elaine. He also has a child from his first marriage called Yvonne who is his oldest child but has no title except "Lady" (there are reasons for this but I can't be bothered going into it, plus it doesn't really have anything to do with the story).

Before the Empire was formed Liandor was a kingdom ruled by a tyrannical king (TBN) and was plagued by civil wars. It's a long story but in short the nobility were not taxed anything except an annual fealty payout to the king, they milked their peasants dry, the streets were terribly dangerous and soldiers ran rampage seizing property, money and women. The nobility frequently warred with each other and some of them even allied to wage war against the king. The king retaliates (obviously), great wars ensue, blah blah, yadda, yadda and it turns out the man he had trusted to lead his army (Balthazar) actually hates his guts and decide to cut a smile on his neck. A whole heap of drama follows and Balthazar become Emperor (I'm skipping over heaps here, mainly because it's actually not directly relevant to the story).

Balthazar himself is an extremely skilled warrior and is yet to be beaten in fair combat. He trained as a warrior in Ascerai and became best of friends with the King Diander of Ascerai. He rules with an iron fist and is loved by the people for unifying the land, ending the civil wars, making the land safe and fairly taxing everyone according to their levels of income. Though he is has achieved much, there are some who worry that a warrior king can only rule in war and never be content with peace. His constant conquest of other lands makes it seem very credible.

Challenge the Eighth

Spoiler! :
Resources: Hart Gem mines (Magical stones of power) and also many precious jewel mines.
Language: Liandorean
Government: The main justice system is implemented by the Protector of Justice in each Protectorate, with the highest court being located in Liandor and presided over by the Chief Justice Protector. They also locally govern their own Protectorate. However, the highest rule of authority ultimately comes from the Liandorean Imperial Family of more specifically the Emperor himself who is able to create and abolish laws at whim and cannot be subjected to common law. As he likes to say "My word is Law and writ in stone".
Religion: Coming soon :D
Imports: Metal ore, leather, fur.
Exports: Hart Gems, certain types of wood, expert craftsmen and certain crops.
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:46 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Nordyire

Spoiler! :
Nordyire is located north of Liandor and east of Kandahar. It is ruled over by a patriarchal royal family, presided over by the king Lucarius and is divided into a number of fiefs. Each fief is presided over by a prince and the crown prince shares his fathers fief (the central ruling centre). The princes do not make laws, just oversee their implementation (or at least their supposed to :/). Each fief is identified by the official colour of the presiding prince. Currently there are five princes:

Antondrius - Green (same colour as his father the king)
Oscarion - Blue (in specific a pale baby blue for no particular reason :D )
Jasperius - Purple (my favourite prince for no reason except that I LOVE his name!)
Nickolarius- Red (the dull but important one)
Rickadrion - Orange? Yeah orange
Lucarion - Yellow (named after his father, really close to Nick)

There are some tensions between fiefs with some brothers planning an insurgence and others at each others throats and stuff. The king is ill and dying but won't actually die which is seriously increasing all of the tension.

Nordyire has a serious party attitude. They're known to the other lands as The Eternal Festival because no matter what time of the year, if you go to a decent sized town the streets will be filled with performers, food, music and vendors. The nobility in particular compete to have the best performers in their service and pay good money for it. This of course results in quite a few slums and ghettos around the city with nobility disregarding the poor.

It's wealth comes from it's incredibly fertile soils and thus it's ability to grow extremely rare plants/veges/fruits/cotton sot of thing. Yeah.

Challenge the Eighth

Spoiler! :
Resources: Very, very fertile land.
Language: Nordyic
Government: Ruled over by the Royal Family who creates and passes laws. It is divided into fiefs which are presided over by the princes who oversee implementation of the law.
Imports: Fine silks, velvets, spices, wood, expert craftsmen, leather, hart gems, fur.
Exports: Rare herbs, crops and fruit.
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Kandahar

Challenge the Eighth

Spoiler! :
Resources: Silkworms, spices, fragrances, other exotic stuff
Language: Dahari, Gander, Menari
Government: Ruled over by the Kandar
Imports: Good question
Exports: Silk, spices, fragrances
Last edited by Snowery on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:04 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

Sounds like you are a pretty good world builder! :P
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

301 Reviews

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:11 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Thank you @r4p17! It's one of my favourite parts of writing! :D I still have a lot more to add. :)
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:17 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

This is my participation for Challenge The Fifth.

Capture.PNG

Also, should the mind map be a little difficult to read I have included a text version enspoilered.

Spoiler! :
Characters

Master Characters:

Royal Commander Vauren
First and most main pov. Hopefully the one that everyone gets attached to.
Second son of the late king. Younger brother of Diander.
Though he was born a prince, the law states that he take the position of Royal Commander and his status as royalty is almost null.
Believes that the king is in danger.
Intensely dislikes and distrusts Fayander

Lord Inspector Liuren Wilder
High Lord Inspector of Justice (In other words, he's a detective)
Clouddancer?
Charismatic and Determined
Is called upon to investigate strange occurrences at the palace

Mierid Yivianne
Adept Allurian Necromancer
Comes across as cold and arrogant.
Is sent to assist Liuren with his investigation

Princess Siara
Hidden necromancer: ashamed, scared
Took the job of a scribe to learn more about her condition
Youngest sibling to Diander and the princes
Close to Vauren

Male POV
Unnamed pov of one of the princes
Reveals intention to kill the king to steal the throne

Female POV
Unnamed pov.
When read, could refer to either Vi or Siara

Major Characters

King Diander
Friendly, gentle, caring
Soflty spoken
Older brother of Vauren, Fayander and Siara
King of Ascerai
Is a good king

Viander Blah
Was called upon by Liuren to assist in investigation
Suggests calling an Allurian Necromancer
Discovers that Siara is a Necromancer and secretly tutors her
High Necromancer

Prince Fayander
Advisor to the king
Dislikes and distrust Vauren
Often sneers

Felise Yrissa
Novice Allurian Necromancer
Appears when the Mother arrives to join aand assist Vi
Bright, happy, lovable

Minor Characters

Mother Necromancer
Was called to assist Liuren by Viander
Allurian Necromancer
Sends Vi, her adept apprentice in her stead
Later on joins Vi with Yri
Was residing in Nordyire

Carsern Holder
Liuren's assistant
'Friady cat, unsure of himself

Yvianne's Two Shadow Guards
Shadow guards who accompany Vi to Ascerai
Very close to her
Have magic of their own which they use as defense

Palace Officials
Provide information
Call upon Liuren to investigate strange occurrences

Emperor Balthazar?
Diander's best friend
Presides over Liandorean Empire
Cold and cruel, but affectionate towards Diander
Visits Ascerai at some point
Last edited by Snowery on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:12 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

Okay, so personally I absolutely detest character profiles. I think that's why I've never been great at storybooks because I hate boxing my characters into profiles. I prefer to learn about them as the story progresses and then edit the story accordingly at the end. I feel like I can't define an entire person by a profile :/ Nevertheless I am having an "attempt" which are included below but their pretty shoddy XD

Challenge The Second

Vauren Something

Spoiler! :
Name: Vauren Something
Sex: Male
Eye Color: Greenish?
Hair Color: Auburn
Skin Color: White, but not too pale.
Height: Tallish
Weight: Heavy and robust in a muscular way.
Memorable Features: Nothing really.
Race: Human
Ethnicity: Ascerian, but with other things mixed in.
Faults: Haha, as if I'm telling you ;)
Talents: Sword-fighting, military strategy, defence, brilliant leader, other stuff along that vein.
Family: Both Parents are deceased I think. Has an older brother: King Diander, younger brother: Prince Fayander and their youngest sister: Princess Siara
Childhood: Angsty
Source of Income: Royal Commander. He is the Commander for the Royal Army, and when Ascerai is not engaged in war he takes special interest in Palace Security.
Hobbies: He's not too sure yet.
Patience Breaking Point: Fayander
Status in Society: He was born Prince Vauren but custom stated that as the second son he take the position of the Royal Commander or something like that. Either way His status as royalty is basically null. No one refers to or calls him "prince".
Biography: N/A at the moment

Liuren Wilder

Spoiler! :
Name: Liuren Wilder
Sex: Male
Eye Color: Pale Blue
Hair Color: Black
Skin Color: White (quite pale)
Height: Um, Very tall?
Weight: Lean
Memorable Features: He has quite stylish hair and clothes, he's also very charismatic.
Race: Human
Ethnicity: Ascerian (from his father) and Liandorean (from his mother). However he resides in Ascerai and is registered as Ascerian.
Faults: Though Liuren is very confident about his investigative skills, he is self conscious about the fact that he isn't as robust as other male Ascerians and often bitterly compares his physique to theirs.
He may also possibly be a clouddancer. Am toying with the idea.
Talents: Investigating, arriving to correct logical conclusions.
Family: He is the only child of High Lord Soandso and High Lady Soandso
Childhood: N/A at the moment.
Source of Income: Lord Inspector. He investigates crime and dare I say it: mysteries. Kind of a detective or P.I. Considering his own high position, he earns enough to support himself, however his parents did help him buy his house
Hobbies: Hmm, probably solving puzzles. He doesn't like to allow his mind to relax.
Patience Breaking Point: When he is unable to work out what is going on.
Status in Society: Nobility. His father is the High Lord of soandso, which is why he was able to become Lord Inspector.
Biography: N/A at the moment

Mierid Yvianne

Spoiler! :
Made you look! XD
Last edited by Snowery on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 am
View Likes
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

My writing style is very "wing it and figure it out when I get there" so I don't have exact plot points down. I do have a general idea of major events that happen in the beginning and end but the middle is looking very blurry just the way I like it XD So this is my feeble attempt at Challenge The Fourth

Point A:

The novel begins with the three points of investigation.

• Vauren investigating the discovery of the dead body of a Vriasari within palace grounds.
• Liuren investigating the numerous disappearances of youths and infants.
• Siara investigating Necromancy using her cover as a scribe.

Point B:

• Stuff happens relating to the investigations and other stuff too. :)

Point C:

• The insurgence.
The World Is Mine.

301 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:47 am
Snowery says...

Dear Journal,

You are looking pretty incoherent at them moment, with random challenges being fulfilled out of order and me just placing random thoughts anywhere but hey! Live on the edge right? :D Anyway so I remembered that I had drawn this thing which maps out the different relationships between different characters. Different coloured lines stand for a different type of relationship (eg: familial, romantic, colleague, etc...) but I wont tell you what colours stand for what. Muahahahaha!! XD

blah.png
The World Is Mine.

Resistance is futile.
— The Borg