z

Young Writers Society

R4's Pre Writing Journal

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm
r4p17 says...

Right now I am in the middle of writing/planning my novel, Typo Alley. It is about the typos Racen @RavenMoonStone, RP417 @r4p17, Wold @Wolfare1, and KatyaElephant @KatyaElefant.

Characters: At the moment I have four chapters in, but I have taken a break to get my profiles up. I will be posting them shortly in this thread. For the moment let it suffice that Racen is a female elf, Wold is a female wolf, and Katya is an elephant. RP and the Author are male, RP being a dwarf.

I am also working on a villain, but I don't want to give out any spoilers yet... @ancientforever is the user behind the villain, though he knows nothing else about Chaise, the villain, aside from his race. If you really must know that ask ancient!

Plot: At the moment Racen has met all the other protagonists and they have decended into the planning world. For a time Katya was gone with the Author, but now they are reunited. When Katya came back she had instructions from the Author. These instructions will guide them on the expededition—er quest! (I hope that was the right quote...)

The first instruction is to head to the Thanedom of Arsham. It is inhabited by hobbits. After that I prefer not to reveal anything else, but I will say that they find trouble when they arrive and after that the pestles plot will begin to unfold and bloom like flowers. (Aren't my metaphors so awesome?!)

If you are interested join this club! clubs/2025
Last edited by r4p17 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

179 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 am
View Likes
r4p17 says...

Racen's Profile!
Spoiler! :
Racen:

Race: Elf

Appearance:
Racen has flowing, and slightly curled blonde locks which she wears down almost all of the time. Her features are slightly defined, but appear to be more rounded and flowing. Her head is round and her neck is slender. Her arms are thin, but have some muscle to them, especially as time goes on in the story. Her legs have a good deal more muscle on them, though they are only a little larger than average.
She ordinarily wears darker dresses when she is not on a journey with no bonnets, and brown leather shoes. When she is on the march she will wear long loose, though not baggy, trousers In addition to a blouse. She will also wear a cloak when it is colder. She wears woolen socks and brown hiking boots as her ordinary footwear. Finally she has a bow slung across her back at all times.

Personality:
Racen tends to be more quiet and when she speaks she does so softly, except when she is angry. She doesn't like to say much, and generally she doesn't prefer to do strenuous work such as hiking, digging, and other such activities. She loves to sit outside, though, and listen to the birds or enjoy nature.
However, because of this slightly lazy attitude toward life she tends to get upset easily when she is given a task. She is also very emotional. This causes conflict between her and RP quite often. She views him as a tyrant when he assigns her tasks in a gruff manner. She also dislikes getting up early, though she doesn't really complain about it because it isn't so much forced on her by RP. This is one of the major faults of her personality.
As far as morals go she is not quite sure. She follows here emotions more often than sound judgment. As a result she is a little unsure about what she does and does not believe. She does believe in some sort of higher being, as do all elves, but she doesn't know what it is like. So she pretty much lives however she pleases, though she tries to live a reasonably "good" life.
When it comes down to doing a job she will ordinarily wait until the last minute until she can't daly any longer and then wing it. She never bothers to take time to plan for things. This doesn't come out too often when she is around others, for instance RP, but if she is alone she will act that way a lot.

Skills:
- She has a natural ability for climbing trees and shooting a bow
- She can be very stealthy when she wants to! This came out in the fourth chapter I believe
- I guess she can live forever... :)

Faults:
She is lazyish, very emotionally influenced, somewhat selfish, and tends to wing it rather than plan things out!

Background: She kind of just appeared in Typo Alley. She was created by the Author.
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

179 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:54 pm
r4p17 says...

Note: I am sorry if I am doing the challenges out of order/not revealing my plot, but right now I am still sorting things out. RP's profile should be up today. Sorry if I am ignoring the proper template too. :( My characters don't exactly fit it with the childhood and so on, due to the nature of the book.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:00 pm
Aley says...

The challenge order and suggested instructions are more guidelines than hard things. Please feel free to do what you want to prewrite YOUR way.

179 Reviews

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

RP's Profile!
Spoiler! :
RP:

Age: 513 (Dwarves can get pretty old. Also, this is their level of intelligence And appearance, not real age. They sort of just appeared in Typo Alley).
Race: Dwarf

Appearance:
RP is about waist high when compared with the average man. Like all dwarves, or at least all males, he wears a bear, though contrary to common misconception, it doesn't go down to his waist, or his toes. It is only about three or four inches long. His hair on the other hand, goes down to his neck.
His stomach is a little plump from hundreds of years of a dwarvish diet, though it isn't unusually large. As a general rule he is very active which makes up, to a certain extent, for his eating habits. His legs are thick and well muscled. This is a result of marching.
RP usually wears a bright red hat, a brown cloak, a red leather jerkin, and brown pants. If you haven't already guessed these are the colors of his family. His spare outfit comprises a green hat and jerkin and a brown cloak and pants. The green is a jade color. (Hint: This has nothing to do with the color of his sword's stone) Finally he wears a sword. The sword, named Báuräc has a stone set into its hilt. There is also an inscription of a prophecy on it which I will not write down here. This completes his appearance and apparel.

Personality:
RP is almost the complete opposite of Racen, especially when it comes to personality he likes to be the boss all the time and normally doesn't care what other people think about the way he leads. Instead he organizes and deploys Them to do whatever he wants. It doesn't really matter to him what their opinion is, just so long as the task is completed.
That being said, he is a planner. He enjoys setting things in order, not including his bed or belongings, but isn't afraid to step in and do some hands on work. He believe in leading from the front. That is his style. I suppose a pretty good comparison to RP would he George Patton, a general in the U.S. Army during WWII.
Occasionally he will relent from his domineering personality and give people a break, but this only takes place when he momentarily reverts to his secondary personality. I would say that in his heart he doesn't always try to be mean and certainly doesn't think he is most of the time, but he still appears to be most of the time.
Finally, he doesn't get along with Racen very well. Both of them think that they have a good reason for acting, or failing to act, in the way they do. Needless to say, they clash quite often. But note that they both react in different ways. Racen, being an introvert, tends to chafe at RP by wishing that things would be better. Most of the time RP is oblivious to this attitude because he is so consumed with getting things done. This is only a fuel for Racen's dissension. When Racen doesn't react the way RP wants her to he in turn explodes in fury. This hasn't happened so far very much, but when it does it won't be pretty.

Skills:
- RP is a skilled swordsdwarf. He doesn't like the axe as much because it is so heavy.
- He is also a skilled miner, though this probably won't come into play until later on in the book. *hmm... rubs hands mischievously! Now that gives me an idea!*
- I'm not sure whether this counts as a skill or not, but he can march about twenty miles a day for an indefinite amount of time which comes in handy while marching a lot!
- RP is a good planner and organizer, so when it comes to starting an expedition or organizing and planning a quest he would be the man... er dwarf to ask.
- Finally he is a skilled fighter, as mentioned above, and has a natural ability to lead men in a military setting, though unfortunately he isn't very good with civilians... :P

Faults:
- When leading he tends to be overbearing causing others to dislike him.
- He is very opinionated and is liable to get into fights, especially when he is stopping at a tavern and decides to take more than his share of ale!
- If you give him instructions he might not listen to you! Insubordination could be a major problem in the future
- He can't read or write. This limits his ability to rise above that of an ordinary warrior, which doesn't pay much, in society. So while he has potential to be a leader, it is somewhat nullified by this factor.

Background:
Ditto to Racen's! He just appeared in Typo Alley.

179 Reviews

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 pm
r4p17 says...

Just a little map I did... and boy was it hard to get up on here. I appologize for my artistic ability, or rather the lack thereof! *Cringes*Image Legend: The mountains and hills are brown and squigly, the sea, rivers, and lakes, are blue, the dots are desert, the brown arches are tombs, the red circle and dot are the capital city of the kindom of Gothriande, the light green whisps represent grass, and and lines with circles on top are trees.

179 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:05 pm
r4p17 says...

The following territories are contained in the map the Hobbit Land is on the plains in the top left corner, Zarukthûnd is located in the northern mountains, and the kindom of Gothriands is everything to the left of the mountains!

The Kingdom of Zarukthûnd

Year: 1590

Physical Area: The Kingdom of Zarukthûnd covers an area of 133 thousand square miles. Of this, 63% (85 thousand sq. miles) is arable land, and 36% (47 thousand sq. miles) is wilderness.

Population: The Kingdom of Zarukthûnd has a total population of 13.1 million people.

Settlements: The largest city has a population of 51 thousand people, the second largest 10 thousand. There are 4 other cities of note in the kingdom, and 12 towns. The remaining population lives in numerous small villages, isolated dwellings, etc.

Castles: The Kingdom of Zarukthûnd has 266 active castles and 95 ruined. Of these, 227 castles and 76 ruined are in civilized lands, and 39 castles and 19 ruined are in the wilderness, along borders, etc.

Hobbit Land

Thanedome of Arsham

Age of Arsham: 1301

Capital's Name: Hybury

Population: 350

Hybury's Demographic's: 273 Hobbits, 42 dwarves, and 45 half hobbits. The hobbits and half Hybrids often fight amongst each other.

The Realm of Gothriande

Year: 280

Physical Area: The Realm of Gothriande covers an area of 80 thousand square miles. Of this, 71% (57 thousand sq. miles) is arable land, and 28% (22 thousand sq. miles) is wilderness.

Population: The Realm of Gothriande has a total population of 9.6 million people.

Population Demographics: Naturally most of the people are humans, though there are also a few dwarvish smiths and a few hobbits. Most of the latter live in seclusion in their own small communities. Finally there are wandering bands of orcs and a couple trolls who roam the wilderness preying of isolated farmsteads.

Settlements: The largest city has a population of 37 thousand people, the second largest 18 thousand. There are 2 other cities of note in the kingdom, and 20 towns. The remaining population lives in numerous small villages, isolated dwellings, etc.

Castles: The Realm of Gothriande has 192 active castles and 32 ruined. Of these, 125 castles and 26 ruined are in civilized lands, and 67 castles and 6 ruined are in the wilderness, along borders, etc.

Note: This is from a medieval demographics generator, hence all the boring facts. At least I used my resources though... ;)

179 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:46 pm
r4p17 says...

My er... plot plan

Spoiler! :
Point A

Racen and her friends start out in Typo Alley. Once they meat each other they are equipped with supplies to travel into the Story World. Kayta doesn't get to it like they do, by digging down into it. She gets there in an unknown way. She is sent there by the author.

Point B

While in the story world they travel north. In the middle of the mountains they meet Katya. She has instructions from the Author instructing here to go to to the Hobbit Thanedome of Arsham. There they are accused of crimes (TBD). Once they deal with them they find that the thane is weak and ill prepared to protect the Hobbits. This leads to raids by rogues and bandits!

Point C

In Hybury they also meet with those in the Typos of the Typo Alley in Hybury**. There they discover that Chaise is behind the raids. This set in motion a quest to find and combat Chaise.

Point D

They arrive near Chaise's lair and combat his minions. After a long struggle something happens which I will figure out later... ;)

**If you want to submit another Typo, feel free to! I am looking into getting more characters, especially Hobbits, Dwarves, and Elves! Just let me know here or via PM!

179 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 pm
r4p17 says...

Gothriande
Spoiler! :
Type of Order: Law
Language of the Order: All written Gothriande emphasizes written law, rather than oral tradition. They Have write everything down Everything that goes on in the throne room and the palace as a whole that is official. Unofficial things are recorded by saying something like, The King interludes with the Queen about arranging the dining hall for the feast.
Punishment: The laws of the land are very complicated, thus I won't go into all of them. But the general laws are as follows.

1 If any man commits murder he shall be killed. The military has a separate law, but the main law is that a man under the rank of lord shall be beheaded, a noble shall be forced to commit suicide by poison or the blade of his dagger, and one the royal family shall be hung.

Note: The higher status you have, the greater the punishment.

2A If a man steals from his neighbor he shall have his hands cut off, be imprisoned for life, or be hung. (Order is from peasant to King again).
2B If he steals from a stranger he shall pay a fine twice that of the object worth, pay a fine of three times the object value, or be exiled for a year and pay the fine of a noble, or if he be the head prince, he shall lose the kingship.

3 If a man commits rape, he shall, lose his wife and be imprisoned for five years, Be exiled for ten years, or be subject to indefinite exile or death by beheading. (They are very strict about this because a princess was once raped)!
Origin: These laws originated when the emperor of the real was overthrown. He was acting like a dictator and mistreated the Council of Seven Elders. The Council was put to death for attempted conspiracy triggering a rebellion. After this the Republic was founded. Soon however it degenerated into a kingdom. This occurred ten years before I pick up with the story.
Level: Written as stated above.

179 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 pm
r4p17 says...

Kingdom of Zarukthûnd
Spoiler! :
Type of Order: Law/rule? I guess they are pretty strict about their boundaries of what you can and can't do. It is also kind of formality.
Language of the Order: It is oral. From the age of twelve to eighteen you are made to recite the general laws. They are pretty much, stay within your cave/alcove, don't talk to strangers, respect your elders, and most importantly, never go to the mines or to the forges without an adult and permission. Also, you can't touch someone of the the opposite gender until you are eighteen and even then only then with adults, preferably parents, in sight. The exception to the rule is obviously not your family and also your trainer.

Adults have to get authorization to enter certain quarters as well. For instance, no one is allowed to go above the third level without permission. The levels are as follows:

First level: The mines. Only the miners and the aristocracy/soldiery are allowed into the mines. The mines are also the largest level. They go down a few miles into the earth.
Second level: This quarter is where the poorest people live. It is relatively small. The people there are mostly criminals and people who work low grade jobs like mining. None can use a forge. They also wear long beards which is a taboo... (contrary to popular opinion).
Third level: This level is for those who are skilled craftsmen. Most of them work with stone, iron and steel, though a few work with precious mettles, or other mettles that we don't have in this world. They are stronger than steel, but I haven't developed any names for them yet... :)
Fourth level: This level contains two sections. The lower quarter is filled with food storage. Every week the food rations are distributed to the populace. They are replenished every week by hunting parties sent to forage for them in the mountains. Above this quarter is the barrack housing all the troops. Thirdly there is a quarter for forges and finally a housing for the best smiths in the entire kingdom.
Fifth level: The pinnacle of the city contains the citadel where the royal family and the six Dwarf Lords dwell. No one is allowed into this level unless they are part of the garrison or the goblins make a raid.
Note: The three bottom levels are below the surface of the ground the kingdom has largely remained a secret for centuries. However there are other colonies that live above ground.
Punishment: The punishment for breaking an ordinary law is to chop of the left hand making it harder to work. The punishment for a medium level of crime is the loss of a right hand. Finally the punishment for a capital offense is death, the level of which is determined by the king or the Dwarf Lords
Origin: The laws were made at the start of the kingdom's existence and have remained roughly the same ever since. The Dwarves are creatures of habit and are also know to be quite stubborn.
Level: Spoken.

179 Reviews

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:07 am
r4p17 says...

KatyaElefant:
Spoiler! :
Name: KatyaElefant, though everyone pretty much calls her Katya! :P
Race: Elephant, though more correctly, Elefant. ;)

Appearance: She pretty much looks like any other elephant. She has a whitish grey, a long trunk for consuming victuals, lick legs, tusks that are virtually useless from a practical point of view, thick strong legs, brown eyes, and a shortish tail though not like the stubby ones small dogs have. In general she is pretty ordinary. What distinguishes here from other elephants is her lively personality. But I will get to that in a second.

Personality: Katya is always bright and cheerful! She loves to talk a lot and always wears a smile on her face. Almost always that is... sometimes it can look quite comical. Occasionally when she can't remember something she will contort her face into a frown in a comical way that makes people laugh. That makes her embarrassed until someone explains everything to her and she too laughs. However after the event when she has time to get away and gather her thoughts she will remember what she was trying to pull out of he brain beforehand. By that time it is normally too lat for her to do anything about it.

She is also a very sensitive person, however. When RP and Racen get into a fight that causes her to get upset and try to calm both of them down. Most of the time this has little effect though because she is gullible and believe all apologies regardless of whether they are fake or real. This causes her to rely on Wold in that respect most of the time. She also becomes offended easily. This may lead to conflict between her and RP later on. She isn't like Racen in the fact that she is just lazy, any conflict she is involved in is normally accidental.

That leads me to one final fact about Katya. She isn't really all that bright when it comes to plans and the like. This is in stark contrast to RP and Wold, and even Racen when she puts her mind to something. Occasionally she will come up with a simple logical idea that sparks an ingenious plan, but this doesn't happen very often.

Skills:
Her memory is excellent after the author restores it in the fourth chapter. This could be useful!
She is pretty good at carrying things. This is quite useful when you have a lot of supplies and are on foot.
Her lively disposition cheers people up!
She can trail blaze a path through the forest with relative ease!

Faults:
- She misunderstands people which can cause conflicts that should never have happened in the first place if she had just been thinking straightly!
- The disadvantage to being so large at slow is that she holds up a party that is mounted.
- She can only eat certain kinds of food. This is solved by the author providing her with food.
- She isn't the best fighter when it comes to fighting... well I can't say yet, but she is good against smaller creatures/humans.

Biography:
N/A

179 Reviews

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:04 pm
r4p17 says...

Zarukthûnd

Spoiler! :
Resources: They have tons of metals, minerals and fresh water! There main way to survive is by using their resources to sell to people secretly in the black market. Other than that, no one knows they exist. They also have trees and hunting grounds from the mountains. They use this to fuel fires and to eat.
Language: Dwarvish! (Duh)!
Government: They are a kingdom! They are ruled by a king. They are also divided into six groups each ruled by a lord. Most of the lords control a level of the city, though two of them are generals!
Religion: They offer offering to the gods of thunder, lightning, and of the mountains, in addition to the gods of water and war, but they also hold their first ancestor, Barûk, in high esteem. They treat him as a demigod.
Imports: Erm, ale and a few articles of clothing. Other than that their economy is closed. They will also get food on trying occasions.
Exports: Metalwork and precious stones. Mostly stuff they don't need.

179 Reviews

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:19 pm
r4p17 says...

Hobbit Land: The Thanedom of Arsham

Spoiler! :
Type of Order:Formality... it is more understood. Like manners. Taught by families inside the home, but never really voiced abroad.
Language of the Order: Mainly, if you leave other people alone or help them, they will help you and leave you alone. Because they live in small communities everyone expects you to help them when they need help and to leave them be when they don't want you around. I guess it is more social than anything.
Punishment: It depends. If you disobey your parents, especially in public, you will be punished by them, but in the case of the adults it is more social shunning. There isn't really any formal, corporate punishment to speak of. You just withdraw your courtesies that you might give to that person. Occasionally there might be a brawl between two families, but then the sherifs will step in and clear things up. However they never really administer judgement. This is partly do to having a weak thane
Origin: It has been in place ever since the hobbits can remember.
Level:Unspoken mostly. It is taught in the home when you are younger, as I said above, but aside from that no one even gives it a second thought!

179 Reviews

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

Gothriande

Spoiler! :
Resources: Gothriande has lots of agricultural resources! They have so much food they have to throw some of it away some years. The reason for this is because of the Cuel (emphasis on the first syllable and it is pronounced like the letters "q" and "l") that bisects the Ruthel plain. It also has a fair amount of salt that it gathers from the Curëna desert. It does have a few mining colonies in the Gter mountains.
Language: Nühme! I am thinking about turning it into an actual language, though that is on burner number forty... or somewhere thereabouts! ;) Right now about all I know is that it only has the vowels, a, u, ue (conjoined), and æ. That's about it!
Government: It is technically a kingdom, thought there is also a senate. The senate is made up of representatives chosen by the people. To counterbalance this there is a council of barons. They all influence the king. If they are divided than the kind makes the final decision. Finally there is the council of elders. They pretty much decide the laws of the land And then hand them to the barons and the senate to revise and argue about. Then the elders take one final look at it and submit it to the king. The king can choose to turn down a maximum of two laws in a single year (400 days).
Religion: The people worship the lords of the sky/the stars. They believe that these stars can tell prophecy that their astronomers can discern. The stars are not gods themselves, but the gods live inside of them and send for their light.
Imports: They import a number of metals and stones from other lands in addition to timber.
Exports: They export large quantities of food and moderate amounts of salt.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:33 am
Aley says...

>> I guess you could use me too. I get my name spelled Aiey instead of A-L-E-Y and I also get Audy XD

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
— James R. Cook