Young Writers Society

Scarlett's Prewriting Journal

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:36 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Hey, there. This is my journal thing. I think most of you know who I am. XD If not, my name is Scarlett, I've been on YWS since Feb 2010, and I live in Australia. It's beautiful here at the moment, even though it was raining yesterday. I'm also in the middle of writing a couple things and getting them published. You might see links or mentions of that in here, so keep an eye out. Just so you know, Imperia is my novel. It's about 26k right now, so there's that. The short story is nearly finished, so hopefully I can get that done in the next ten or so days.

So. Prewriting journal stuff. Um.

First off, what I'd like to do;

- Finish short story for Anthology for WPP.
- Finish about two or three chapters of Omens.
- Work on Imperia and finish at least two chapters (Hit 30k).
- Finish a Book Cover for someone who requested it.
- Work on Untitled Non-Binary MC thing (Finish at least two chapters).
- Post Chapters of THLH in time for Review Day.

Hopefully, most of these will be completed in the next week. Namely the Anthology short and a chapter of Omens. I really need to work on that book cover. Also, I'm probably going to use some of the random generators and whatnot in @Aley's main thread.

Let's get on with this, then.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Shall I bribe you with more Cat Steps? :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:24 am
ScarlettFire says...

Rosey, you tease. <3 Yes, you can bribe me! I'm nearly finished with at least one of the challenges! So, I probably need an incentive, lol. XD

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:09 am
Rosendorn says...

I have the next scene of Cat Steps just waiting to be posted, but I guess it'll just have to wait... ;P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:14 am
ScarlettFire says...

You are such a tease, Rosey. XD *gets right onto the profile*
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:56 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The Second - Character Profile:

Profile Number One (Loren):

Spoiler! :
Name: Loren K'umai. Nicknames Lore or Ren.

Sex: Biologically Intersex (As in, has traits from both genders). Also known as Ethei in the realm he is from. Mentally, he feels male, but the entity that shares his mind and body has proven on several occasions that Loren has felt like a woman before.

Eye Color: Originally a dark blue, but now a pale, icy blue due to an incident that happened when he was younger.

Hair Color: Originally dark brown, but now silvery-white due to the same incident that changed/lightened his eye colour. Thin, but a lot of it, which means Loren's hair generally doesn't like to be tied back. Usually worn in a tight braid.

Skin Color: Lightly tanned, strangely has less wrinkles than others his age.

Height: About average for his region, probably around 5'9.

Weight: About average, maybe a bit lighter. Not overly soft around the edges; more likely to be less soft, but not so bonely as to be uncomely.

Memorable Features: Hair and eyes, and--if you catch him naked--you might get an eyeful of traits of both genders. But you probably won't see Loren naked anytime soon. Otherwise, if he was still his dark-haired, dark-eyed self, you might just overlook him if he wanted you to.

Race: Human, akin to people from middle-east. Currently possessed by an ancient entity that may or may not have been originally human itself.

Ethnicity: Belasian; a distant part of the empire, Belasi province. Think of an equivalent of the middle east.

Faults: Loren can be stubborn, skittish and overall kind of "I'm-a-wall-flower-please-don't-see-me". He doesn't like attention and, for his official "profession", loves too easily. He also has anger problems, thought that's mostly thanks to the entity semi-possessing him. Loren often appears to be slightly unhinged to most people, considering the way he mutters to himself (or rather, tells the entity to shut up, which is often out loud, unfortunately).

Talents: I think you know what those are. Also, magic. Because magic.

Family: Probably still out there. Loren honestly has no idea. He was barely six months old when the temple took him, so his family is more or less the priestesses of the temple.

Childhood: Kind of non-existent in the sense that he was never really allowed to be a child. He grew up learning about the temple he was gifted to, and later on, learnt all about that particular goddess's "business". Of course, that was just an excuse for the temple to abuse him and use him. He was eventually sold when he was about 14/15.

Source of Income: Was prostitution; now works as a bodyguard for the Emperor. The story goes, he ran into a bedslave and his master in the pleasure district of the city, and somehow ended up in the Imperial Palace.

Hobbies: Painting and drawing. It's a recently discovered artistic hobby that Loren never knew about until he stumbled across one of the palace's resident artists. He's been taking lessons from said artist.

Patience Breaking Point: Loren's patience is almost infinite, as his training would dictate. He will stand there and wait for hours unless you specifically tell him to go and relax or do whatever he wants. Of course, telling him to do whatever he wants to do will often result in him acting completely lost. When he's tired, he's more likely to be impatient, though. His breaking point is almost non-existent, thanks to the temple.

On the other hand, the entity's patience in very, very short. Almost anything could make it mad, or upset, and could result in it taking control. Something Loren likes as much as the person its confronting--which is not very much at all. Long story short; don't insult Loren, don't piss it off. And please don't confuse the poor Ethei.

Status in Society: Ethei; a servant of a goddess often used for pleasure. Seen as either a pariah or a gift from the gods depending on who you ask. Self-appointed outcast before encountering the Emperor and falling under his employment.

Biography: After the death of his second master and the incident that led to his partial possession, Loren drifted for some time in a daze (several years) until he ended up in Ameretath, the capital of the empire. He was there maybe two weeks before the entity decided it wanted to have some fun. Loren has no idea how long that "fun" lasted, but it ended up with him encountering a bedslave and his master outside an inn close to the pleasure district. When the master recognised what he was, Loren was taken to the Imperial palace, where he met the Emperor. He discovered that, after a little while, the entity decided it liked the Emperor and refused to leave.

The Emperor, a man named Kianoush, asked Loren to be his bodyguard because of the ability the entity had boasted to the slave's master of. It soon proved this to the man, and was surprised to find that the Emperor admired their magic. Much to Loren's distaste, of course.

Recently, Loren has been trying to figure out what to do with his newfound individuality--something the temple he was given to had not wanted in their goddess's disciples. So, while still struggling with that and trying to be the Emperor's sort of invisible "bodyguard", he tries to deal with the entity's murderous side. So far, so good. It hasn't wanted to try anything for several months.

That is, of course, until a distant province's "prince" visits Ameretath in order to secure some agricultural leniency. That's when things get complicated.

Profile Number Two (Kianoush);

Spoiler! :
Name: Kianoush 'Kian' Te'lenia. His Imperial Majesty; Holy Emperor of Teleniath; Son of the First God, Kardun; Ruler Of All That He Can See; Conquerer of Thrones.

Sex: Male.

Eye Color: A warm, dark brown reminiscent of dried dates. Kian has kind eyes.

Hair Color: Black, long, silky and thick. Usually left unbound unless in an offical Imperial situation, such as a formal setting or a public outting.

Skin Color: Moderately tanned with several sunspots (alteration of pigmentation).

Height: about 6ft. A little above average for the region.

Weight: Higher end of average healthy weight for his age, fairly toned but not overly so. A warrior king, not a soft, kept emperor.

Memorable Features: Kianoush has a few tattoos; one on the back of each hard representing two different ascepts of Kardun, man on the right and beast on the left. A third aspect of Kardun, which shows a merging of man and beast, and covers one shoulderblade, along with Ancient Teleniathi script trailing from the back of his hands up to his elbows and from over his shoulder, down his left arm a little ways. He's also one of the few native Teleniathi who doesn't have a tattoo on his face.

Race: Human, akin to people from the middle-east.

Ethnicity: Teleniath, the center of the empire, and the kingdom that it all began with. Think of an equivalent of Ancient Persia.

Faults: Having been raised a warrior more than a diplomat, Kian is a litle more abrupt than most think an emperor should be. He's polite, but curt; he doesn't like people's bullshitting him, and he'll let it go on until he's had enough.

Talents: He's a warrior, so he is experienced in sword play, horsemanship, wrestling and the general day-to-day running of a large empire. He's not a bad battle tactician, either. He's okay with numbers, but prefers to let the imperial accountants do their thing (hopefully they don't screw him over).

Family: Father, mother, two older brothers, several uncles and aunts. All deceased. He does have a younger sister, but she was married off to a kingdom outside of the empire on his father's orders before Kianoush had to kill him.

Childhood: Born the third son in line for the throne, Kian never excepted it, and was raised accordingly. Childhood was spent playing until he was of an age to start learning how to fight, which meant he was sent to live in the barracks, but still excepted to attend family dinners and imperial banquets.

Source of Income: Um, he's the Emperor? I would say taxes and the Imperial Vault.

Hobbies: Horse riding, reading and lesiurely strolls through the Imperial Gardens.

Patience Breaking Point: Kianoush's patience is pretty decent. He can sit for hours listening to imperial generals or accountants complaining, various emissaries from the provinces and other neighbouring kingdoms droning on or even the various complaints from the nobility and the commoners. But if you drone on too long or start spouting bullshit (and he knows it), he will tell you to get to the point and probably come across as curt, even harsh sometimes. Then there's his protectiveness; you start threatening women and children and especially doing them harm? Be prepared for his patience to be thrown out the window. He won't hesitate to grab his sword if you ingore his warnings. Otherwise, Kianoush is a pretty relaxed guy.

Status in Society: Teleniath's Emperor. So he's royalty. Literally top of the food chain, so to speak.

Biography: Killing his father sparked off a bit of an internal struggle between his aunts and uncles, his mother and his brothers. Not that the general public knew, seeing as one of the generals took the blame. Of course, no one saw him as a threat, let alone fit to rule until he challenged several family members and ordered them to back down. Considering he had almost all of the Imperial Generals on his side, they complied. Not long afterwards, his eldest brother killed all of their family except the younger sister who'd already been sent away. Kian eventually had to stop his brother before the older man destroyed the entire empire.

During the next twelve or so years, Kianoush squashed a few rebellious provinces and brought a couple more neighbouring kingdoms into the Empire's fold. Including Belasi, which was causing some major unrest. That had been a small-scale war he kind of wished he hadn't had to play out. Belasi was a prosperous province, and attacking them to rat out some rebels that had been stirring things up had wasted a lot of time, resources and men. With Belasi less unruly, he'd returned to Ameretath and rested, waiting for the next time unrest would threaten his empire.

Unrest came in the form of an Ethei named Loren. A trusted noble and his slave brought the Ethei before him, claiming some rather ridiculous things. Those things were soon proved to be truth, and Kianoush because curious. He spent a while talking to Loren--and the entity that partially possessed him--and gained the Ethei's trust. Kianoush asked if Loren would stay with him for a bit, and the Ethei complied with some help from the entity. Things turned pretty peaceful and uneventful in the Imperial Palace in Ameretath for the next year or so.

Right up until the emissary from Tykoth came to visit and he recognised Loren. Of course, that complicated things for Kianoush.

Profile Number Three (Siavash):

Spoiler! :
sorry, nothing here yet. bet you were curious, though, right?

Profile Number Four (Lila):

Spoiler! :
HAHAHA YOU WERE HOPING FOR SOMETHING, RIGHT? Nope. Not here. Try later.

Profile Number Five (Alysdair):

Spoiler! :
sorry, this is empty, too.

COME BACK LATER.

Profile Number Six (Kasiya ):

Spoiler! :
still nothin'. sorry kid, you lucked out.

Profile Number Seven (Nefertari):

Spoiler! :
Look, I told you. Ain't nothin' here yet.

COME BACK LATER!
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:11 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The First - Draw your Plot:

Spoiler! :
Untitled-Noveling Things 2.jpg
draw your plot

So. I did a thing.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The Third - Use Your Resources:

So, resources. Hmm, I was thinking I might just drop a list of things I might use here. Warning; links below.

- behind the name
- seventh sanctum
- nanowrimo - character cafe
- sfwa world-building thing
- pcwrede world-building

*plants links here for future reference*

EDIT: Also just putting this here so I know where it is.

HERE HAVE A MAP HAHAHA
Spoiler! :

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The Fourth - Points A and B:

Spoiler! :
Chapter One (Point A): Loren and Kian are doing normal talk-to-the-emissary-things and then bam, Loren is confronted by someone he thought was dead. The idea is, they talk, Kian and Loren talk, and Kian suggests Loren go spend some time with the other person.

Between Point A and Climax/The End: Stuff happens here. Lotsa stuff. Like rumours and unrest and attempted murder. General fantasy dramaness.

Climax Thing: The build-up to war, various other things.

The End: Prepartion for war, actual war. Cliff-hanger ending?

(Plot Points = read; I have no idea)

also, refer to my draw your plot thing because stuff

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:34 am
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The Fifth - Mind Mapping:

Spoiler! :
stuff will be here soon-ish

BE PATIENT

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:36 am
ScarlettFire says...

Challenge The Sixth - Law of the Lands:

Spoiler! :
stuff will be here soon also

Type of Order:
Language of the Order:
Punishment:
Origin:
Level:

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:46 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Worldbuilding Stuff:

Spoiler! :
like the title says; worldbuilding stuffs will go here.

eventually.

maybe.

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild