z

Young Writers Society

Looking for a Critique Partner

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:36 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this (admins feel free to move me), but I am looking for a critique partner. I am editing a WIP that I am serious about trying to find an agent for and subsequently publish. Therefore, I am not comfortable posting it in part or in full on a public forum.

If there is anyone else with a finished novel they would like critiqued, let's talk. Specifically what I'm looking for is someone that can talk outside of YWS (like email) - and if YWS does not allow this then I apologize. I'm thinking we would send each other the first chapter or two of our novels to make sure it'll be a good fit, and then send the entire novel to each other for critique.

Specifically in a critique I want HARSH. I do not want you to tell me that you think the entire thing is fantastic. This is what my friends do. This is nice, but this doesn't help me improve. I want honest, nit-picky feedback. I want line-by-line (if need be), big picture stuff (plot, characters, voice, pacing, etc)., and overall opinions. This is exactly what I will give you in return for a full novel. Obviously a splash of nice is useful in a critique as well - but I'm really looking for someone that can be tough and wants tough feedback in return.

I write contemporary YA with a touch of romance and with a dark/gritty edge. The following is my current pitch (also a WIP) for the novel I would like a critique partner for. If you're interested in working together please let me know. And admins - if this isn't allowed or is better served in another thread please direct as such.

Thanks much :)

Pitch (Captive: 68,500 words):

It’s supposed to be the trip of a lifetime – two weeks in the Philippines doing service to forget about high school, forget about her long-time crush, and make a difference. Molly is ready for something different after she graduates from high school, and this is it.

It turns into a nightmare.

After one perfect week, the group she is travelling with leaves Manila and heads south. Waiting for them, is an ambush. In one second Molly is an eighteen-year-old girl on the trip of a lifetime. In the next second Molly is an eighteen-year-old girl being forced into a boat at gunpoint. The entire group is taken to an island, pushed through the jungle, and left in a cramped tent.

As news of the kidnapping reaches home, friends and family are left reeling.

Becca, Molly’s shy and quiet best friend wants to help, but doesn’t know how to be anything other than a timid follower.

Noah, Molly’s long-time crush, is overwhelmed by his onslaught of feelings towards Molly, especially with his overbearing girlfriend in the picture.

Laura, the finance of another captive, is left to prepare for her wedding alone and hope that the love of her life makes it back in time.

CAPTIVE is told in alternating perspectives, and is Lucy Christopher’s STOLEN meets IF I STAY by Gayle Forman.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Reviews: 4
Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:58 pm
rainbowwaffles says...

Hey! I might be interested in doing something like this, especially since I too write YA contemporary. However, my novel is not finished as of yet but will be by the end of October. Right now it's somewhere between 60K and 70K which is pretty long already so you might consider it to be the length of a full novel anyway.

I have a couple of questions, how often do you think we'd be giving each other feedback? I'm a senior in high school and have college applications to work on but I would definitely be willing to exchange a couple times a week or so.

I can pretty much give you everything you asked for in a critique--I used to be a very prominent reviewer on Figment, where I covered everything from grammar to characterization to pacing to basically anything else. I've been to several writing camps so I know how to give feedback without being harsh and without saying "Wow I really like it!" (Although I wish I had your friends, most of my friends won't touch my writing.)

I only have the first chapter of my novel up right now, but if you want to take a look and see the summary, here's a link to where it's posted on goodreads, where I primarily reside on the internet: https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/37 ... to-nowhere

If you're not cool with the subject matter or the profanity, that's cool. And it would definitely be a good idea to exchange first chapters first, you can see mine at the link above. Is your book posted anywhere?

What praise is more valuable than the praise of an intelligent servant?
— Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice