z

Young Writers Society

Wanting to write a book in Journal format....Ummmm ideas

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 am
queenofscience says...

HEY!!! :)

I was thinking about doing a story, but have it in the format of a Journal entry.

I know the setting, and some of the characters, maybe.

it's going to be realistic, but maybe with a bit of sic fic. I want this story to be about personal challenges, dealing with mental health issues ( yes, I would of choses any other health issues, but I'm tired about how people act toward these kind of things, you know. Know from personal experience) friendship, love, family issues etc. And yes, I am thinking that the main character will be biased of off me. Possibly, 50/50

Any ideas as far as plot? Oh, and the story is going to be quite funny!!! :)

And it take place in America, possablay in an area that has hills and lots of trees.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:43 am
birk says...

A while back, I was thinking about the medium of works written using the personal diary form. Turned out I didn't really know much about it. I wanted to learn more about it though, so I tracked down the best examples of such works that I could.

In short, I ended up reading 'Bridget Jones's Diary' by Helen Fielding.

If you are going to write something using this format, I'd suggest reading something which uses that format.

I would actually recommend 'Bridget Jones's Diary'. Because even though I didn't really find the story in it too interesting, I still liked the way it was written. You might enjoy it more.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 pm
queenofscience says...

Thanks, but I know how to do jornel format. It's easy. You can just put the date,or time,like:

June,4th 2010 ( I don't think that you have to add the year,but it would be helpfull)

Last day of school!!! (title if you want)

(body of entry...write whatever you wish,and yes,you can use dialogue.Imagine things from the MC's POV)
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:49 am
Vervain says...

Another important thing to remember is - how much will your main character remember about their day? Do they carry their journal around with them to write things down? Because it's more unlikely they'll remember tiny details (exactly how a person looked, what they were wearing, little things), so unless they carry their journal around with them or they're doing it as an extreme memory exercise, those details are more likely to be left out.

I second Birk. One of the fastest ways to get a handle on a genre or form is to consume books in that genre or that use that form. Maybe you know how to use the form, in a way, but if you aren't used to reading diary formats, you probably won't be used to writing them. Find a few books that used that form - to add on to the first recommendation, I'll say Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper series is intriguing, even if her use of the form isn't the best. She does tend to include smaller details that aren't plausible in her situation, so keep that in mind if you do read the books.
stay off the faerie paths

Reviews: 3
Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:58 pm
justanotherwannabe says...

I would suggest having, not too many, but several seemingly unrelated subjects/notes in these journal entries. If anyone keeps a journal the way I do, you'll write down things such as~ ~
"Sunsets are far more beautiful when clouds are present."
Or
"Carpe Aeternitas!"
Things like this can hold meaning or simply add authenticity to you fictional journal. That is my humble and possibly useless piece of advice.

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet