z

Young Writers Society

How old is too old?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 am
thewriterinside says...

I'm a 21 year old woman and I love reading YA fiction novels. Is that weird? How old is too old to read them? I personally don't see anything wrong with them. Although I do appreciate adult fiction, sometimes if I find a good YA fiction novel, I can't help but sit down and get lost in it for a few hours.

*stands up* MY NAME IS ROSIE AND I LOVE YOUNG ADULT FICTION. I'M A DORK!
(Brownie points if you get that reference.)
I left my heart in
● Metropolis...●

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:46 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Ah, this one.

An article on the topic came up, about how absolutely terrible YA was. I won't link the article because I find it's pure clickbait, I will link this lovely breakdown.

For me, I believe people should read what they like, whatever that is.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Oh, this one indeed. I've come across this one multiple times now on different sites and from people in real life. Rosey has given you a pretty good reply, but I will give you a more subjective opinion on this matter. Just keep in mind that this opinion has been expressed by plenty of others.

YA is not a genre, is a marketing area. Needless to say, you know why. But despite this, there are still many many readers regardless of age. That reads it. There has been some discrimination towards YA novel recently, now I'm not a big fan of YA myself but I have come across some great YA authors that really made me think.

But let's return to your question, how old is too old? The answer, never. You're never too old to read anything, you can be 30 and still read children's book just because you like it. A while ago, I went to the Penguin Teen Live in my town. Our hostesses were lovely women in their late 30s, but the way they talked about YA books and the way they reacted about characters. It was like how many teenager would react if they saw their favourite actor/character alive. There is NO AGE LIMIT to reading YA. If you enjoy it, then go for it, mate.

Follow your wishes, and not the expectations. Happy reading.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:30 am
Lefty says...

I don't think it's weird at all! I think a lot of twenty-one year olds read YA. I probably still will when I'm 21. I don't think it really matters much what age you are and I think you should read whatever makes you happy, no matter how old you are.

I'm almost 18 and currently my favorite genre is YA. I would like to recommend to you (if you haven't read it already) the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. It's a great YA dystopian series that is my favorite series. Not very many people know about it which is sad because it is amazing. If you're into YA, I think you would really enjoy it.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage