z

Young Writers Society

Question For First-Person Duel-Narritive Writers

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 pm
Lefty says...

Hi there, so I'm currently working on a book that's in first-person duel-narritive and I'm running into a problem of favoring one character and only wanting to write in her POV and only have things happen to her. Have you ever had this problem and if so, how were you able to get past it? Thanks!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm
eldEr says...

I have this problem essentially every time I write dual-first (with one exception). Honestly, the only way to get over it is to say to yourself "this is excessive and things need to happen to <other character> too."

Also, if you like that character the most, there's a chance that everyone else will too. Is there something lacking in the second character? Personality depth, etc? If so, try to figure out if there's a way you can round him/her/them out a little more; it might re-spark your interest in the character.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 pm
BellaRoma says...

I am attempting a first person dual narrative, and I admit that I favour one character's POV. I've never really thought about it much until now.
However, I have made my other narrator quite vociferous, so you don't forget her. One is in the other's head, so they experience things together anyway.
PM me or whatever if you want any more information on my novel.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:06 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

You may not have a problem, if the narrative is balanced according to the characters' relative importance. Most dual narratives strongly favor the protagonist, and don't give the other character an "equal" handling. However, if the ratio is skewed (like 90% for one character and barely a pittance for the other), then that might be an indicator that the second narrative may not be integral to the story. So the key is not equality, but fairness. Give each character what they need and nothing more. Keep the story integrity, and you'll be fine.
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief