z

Young Writers Society

My new story

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:26 am
orange09 says...

My new story is a travel adventure. I am not yet finished, but does the idea sound good?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Travel adventures have a decent amount of popularity, and there's a whole section of travel adventure books on Goodreads.

Really, all genres sell and sometimes going in a genre that isn't printed much can be a blessing or a huge risk; there's less competition but there are also less books printed, plus you're looking at (potentially) a more niche market. Sometimes you have to do extra research for good agents and publishers for your story, and you'll probably not reach the same level of mainstream popularity as somebody who writes a more mainstream genre, but you can still write that genre.

The important thing is you want to write the story! If you have the passion for writing a travel adventure that sounds like the coolest thing ever, go for it. The world needs writers of all types, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a niche writer, even for a bit. Heck, versatility in what genres you can write is super important for a writer, because you can pull from more genre conventions when you write all your stories.

Happy writing!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:12 pm
orange09 says...

Thanks. It's a short story. I am not going to get it published.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:19 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

If that's because you think short stories don't ever get published, I'd suggest you reconsider!

Short stories actually have a fairly large market, and are a great way to get yourself known in the publishing world. Usually they're published in anthologies or literary magazines, either for free or paid. This list is a little out of date, but it gives you an idea where to start. Now, while some of them are for novels, a lot could accept short stories.

If you're just writing it for fun, then write whatever you want and forget about what's a "good idea" or not. All writing is a good idea.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire