z

Young Writers Society

Children's Books

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 am
WarriorCoop says...

Has anyone here ever written a children's book? I mean anything ranging from short novels or picture books.

If so, can anyone offer me any advice on how to create a really awesome one? I have the idea but I've never written something for a younger audience before so I'm a little nervous about how to do it...
"Warrior is my middle name" - WarriorCoop (formally known as Scooper)

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 am
ExOmelas says...

Right now I'm attempting a short story series that in my head is like a children's cartoon show. I'm only one part in but it's here anyway if you'd like to take a look at it. Monkey Boy's Adventures in Space - 1.1

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 am
Rosendorn says...

Google is usually fantastic about providing resources when you've never done things before. Broad overviews and information by experts who've written dozens of children's novels.

Past that, I am aware the themes are more about learning how things work and coming of age stories. They tend to involve overcoming some sort of challenge and growing from it, but how complex that challenge is depends on the age set of the novel. 9-12 and young adult markets can face end of the world choices, but 5-8 would likely be scaled down slightly.

And, as always, read your medium! If you want to write a children's book, read lots of children's books to see what sort of plots, character archetypes, and challenges they overcome.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

No one achieves anything alone.
— Leslie Knope