Young Writers Society

Should this be a novel?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm
ccwritingrainbow says...

The story is called Turning the Key, and the summary is below:

Inspired by Open Your Heart-Madonna
Kiki Owens is the sexiest dancer in the club. Prince Levi is the biggest player in the city. When these two meet, it's like magic. Kiki sees it, but it takes Prince a lot of convincing that Kiki is different from the "others" he's dated. Kiki makes a bet with Prince that he'd be in love with her without seeing her dance at the strip club, and she will not take him to see her dance until he does. Prince doubts that he'd be in love, but will he open his heart by turning the key?

What I'm hoping to get out of this is some advice. I mean, I already have a chapter of this written, so if you want to take a look at that, I'll post it. I just want to know what I can do.
Signed by yours truly, ccwritingrainbow <3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:02 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'd be very aware of the plot devices involved in stories centred around players, strippers, and "taming" a guy, along with the idea of "not like other girls."

Not like other girls is a big one, because there tends to be this idea that girls are in competition and it's a big mark of a Mary Sue character. Which leads to the question "what's so bad about other girls?" (hint: the answer's nothing).

The next one is the concept of players, which have been done a lot and tend to result in the idea those who aren't in a romantic relationship/don't desire it are somehow inferior to those who do. Strippers tend to have their world shown incorrectly, as well, either glamourized or mishandled or treated with really poor attitudes about strippers. I'd suggest a ton of research on the topic.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 pm
ccwritingrainbow says...

Thank you very much. I'm going to post the first chapter because I want to see what people think.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 pm
Rosendorn says...

Also, just to clarify: the mark of a Mary Sue is when the female character thinks that she's so much better than other girls. A male character thinking his girl is different or better than others is usually the mark of a guy the girl needs to ditch, because these types of guys tend to compliment while putting other girls down and want girls to fit certain prescriptions of who they think is a "good girl" and a "bad girl".
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm
ccwritingrainbow says...

I know what a Mary Sue is but thanks for the explanation.

122 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm
ccwritingrainbow says...

Here's the link to the book: Turning the Key {Chapter 1: Kiki}

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah