z

Young Writers Society

What should a Cthulhu themed story have in it?

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:16 am
SymbolicEclipse says...

Alright So I'm going to write a story that is inspired by but bot directly part of the cthulhu universe. I'm going to include creatures similar to the great old ones, cultists, artifacts, and occult magic. Does anyone have any ideas for what else could possibly be involved? Also, I'm having trouble what kind of magic should be involved, and what kinds of magic the good guys should use. Any suggestions?
"Meow!"-- My cat, 2014, January 1st

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:10 am
lostthought says...

A Cthulu
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:22 am
View Likes
Willard says...

Two Cthulhus

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 am
CowLogic says...

A uhluhtC.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 am
Iggy says...

Please stay on topic. If you can't answer the question seriously, please refrain from posting at all.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:08 am
SymbolicEclipse says...

lol it's ok. I can't add cthulhu, but I am going to add creatures inspired by his universe. And two cthulhus? Your puny mind cannot comprehend the sheer power that would emanate from that story. Your mind would cease to exist from the sheer terror. And the tentacles.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Lovecraftiean monsters tend to have a few things in common:

1- They tend to cause a lot of body horror. They will kill you in the weirdest, slowest, and generally mind-altering ways.

2- They are otherworldly. Either from a parallel universe, another planet, or some place that is Not Here

3- They are undefeatable. The most you can hope for is sealing them in a can for another while, until somebody is curious enough to poke at what should not be poked at

4- They tend to leave very few survivors when they show up

One thing to keep in mind is Lovecraft wrote during a very specific time frame: the Victorian and Edwardian eras. This was a time when Christian themes influenced occult and there was a lot of mixing, especially Egyptian and Mayan (seeing as those were some of the more recent archeological obsessions at the time).

I'd start there for researching what type of magic you want them to use.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 pm
horrendous says...

i actually started a cthulhu inspired short story as well. never finished it, but read if you like and borrow any ideas you find useful.

Eater of Dimensions, Part I

Eater of Dimensions, Part II
hor·ren·dous
adjective: shockingly dreadful; horrible
synonyms: appalling, frightful, hideous

--

Life is like a box of chocolates. Too much will make you sick.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 pm
SymbolicEclipse says...

Alright, so thanks for all the help thinking of ideas but I need to ask a bit more. Now I'm trying to think of some supernatural powers/rituals that I could use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I should add that the powers I mean are something they can use off hand and come with some sort of price, such as a woman who could create flames suffering from extreme burns that litter her whole body and only hurt when she is making the fire.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:24 pm
Poopsie says...

a group of people with those powers set off on a journey after hearing that there is a magical something somewhere that can take away their powers, but as they travel, they encounter obstacles that require them to use their powers and in the process of getting to their magical antidote thingy, slowly destroy themselves and end up destroying that antidote so no one else can have it.

you like? :D
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:26 pm
SymbolicEclipse says...

Ok, so I'm not really looking for plot ideas. I'm more looking for ideas for powers or rituals. But like I said, the powers have to come with some drawback or price.

I don't do time.
— Liberty