z

Young Writers Society

Opinions on these three ideas?

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:09 pm
SymbolicEclipse says...

Hello, I was wondering if some people could help me choose what idea I should use to write a story. I have three right now, and I cant decide on which one to do... So I'm going to write a short description of each, and it would really help if you would post what you thought of them and told me which one was your fav. Thank you!

1. the lovecraftian dark fantasy. Based around a woman who is saved from being sacrificed by zealots by a group that combats that particular cult. THe cult threatens to summon a destructive creature that could wipe out/enslave humanity and the group races against time to stop them from summoning it. (inspired by cthulhu stuff)

2. The young adult fantasy based around a 16 year old girl who learns about magic and begins fighting to prevent the mages from falling into chaos and the shield that protects our world from breaking.

3. The steampunkish fantasy based around a young man in his mid 20's. He is a memeber of his kingdom's army, and his kingdom gets involved in a war with another empire that is gaining a great deal of power with an army that appeared suddenly from no where.
"Meow!"-- My cat, 2014, January 1st

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:19 am
mephistophelesangel says...

The first one and the third one sounds great, really. But the second one seems a little overused? It's hard to find not overused young adult fantasy inspirations. But learning supernatural powers and fighting to save the world is a bit cliche, really. But I really like the first one.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:26 am
Laure says...

Hm, the second and last idea seems to be pretty cliche because is what almost every other fantasy novel out there is about, in terms of originality. I would go with the first one, that being said though I still think it depends on your cast of characters and how you go about writing it. You should ask yourself, which one do you feel that you can be passionate and write well about? What about your characters, can you get into their role and write it well. Characters really make a difference to a story, a cast of well rounded and unique characters can make even the most cliche story interesting the same goes to a very original plot line with horrible characters. In the end, is up to you and how you feel about each other. We as others, can only provide you with an opinion.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:50 am
Rosendorn says...

You should ask yourself, which one do you feel that you can be passionate and write well about?

This.

Figure out what you're the most passionate about, what story captures your imagination the most. That's really your answer.

---

Two cents for what it's worth: I'd personally mix the first and second ideas.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:03 pm
SymbolicEclipse says...

Alright, I've decided to try out the lovecraftian story. Now I'll admit I've never tried this kind before, so don't expect much. Thanks for helping me decide!
"Meow!"-- My cat, 2014, January 1st

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

Always remember: at one point in time, you'd never tried writing your current genre.

Keep trying new things. It's how you improve!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Bananas
— looseleaf