z

Young Writers Society

Should I continue my novel?

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:42 pm
ThatWriterGuy says...

I have planned out a three part epic fantasy trilogy and I am 80,000 words into the first novel called (The necromancer's Reckoning). I really enjoy writing it, and I in some of my reviews i have heard good things and my friends seem to enjoy it so far.
My dream would be to publish it (never say never) but I know that is really difficult and i would have to be lucky. Should i continue to write it? It is time consuming (albeit, enjoyable) so i don't want to put in so much time into something that not many people will ever read.
Any advice?

ThatWriterGuy

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:34 pm
Caesar says...

In my opinion, you are writing it first and foremost because you enjoy writing it, not because others do. Thus, I say yes, by all means continue it, 80k is not little. The rest will come in time.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:41 pm
CarsonTheArson says...

Well, first off I just wanna say that I really enjoy your story, and I would like to read more of it. :)

I know it is nice if you hear that other people like your story (which they do XD) but I don't think you should base it entirely on that. If you enjoy writing it, which you say you do, then I think that's enough to continue it.

But still, if you are wondering if people would read it, I know I would. :)
QCOH

Quack quack ^>^^<^

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

Always finish a story. Finish whole epics. Finish as much as possible.

You want to get published? Great! To get published, you need to write. You need to have a lot of practice writing and finishing stories and editing and querrying. Does that mean every story you finish will make it to being published? No. Many writers have their first novel in a drawer somewhere, because that novel wasn't good enough to sell. Maybe not in writing quality, but in story quality.

You learn how to write good stories by writing lots of stories. No matter what you do as a writer, so long as you keep writing, you're getting closer to your goal of publishing.

You might not get that story published right away, if ever. You might only get that story published after you've written a few other stories and revisit that one, now that your skills are better.

We don't write for the goal of publishing. We write because we have stories to tell. Writing is not a lucrative business, and you have to be bursting with stories to really stick with it.

So what if hardly any people read it? Those who do could get touched by it. Or maybe it won't be that story. It'll be your next one. If you're enjoying writing? What reason isn't there to finish? If it flops, you'll get practice and a little recognition. If it succeeds, you'll get practice and a little recognition.

Write. Always write. Always finish. You can't get published unless you write and finish.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:53 pm
ThatWriterGuy says...

Thank you. I really want to finish this story because it is the story I want to finished.I think at the moment I find it not enjoyable i will stop. But until then...

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

Keep writing even when you don't find it enjoyable.

Writing is hard work. It's slogging through editing and wanting to start from scratch and queerying agents (which is not a fun process) and getting rejected. You'll sit through people ripping your work apart with a smile, and without a smile.

These are not what I'd call enjoyable things. But they make the story better and they make you as a writer better. You sit through them because you love the story, find it interesting, and want to see it be the best it can be.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria