z

Young Writers Society

Which idea should I pursue first?

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 pm
queerelves says...

I've got a 20+ hour road trip aheaf me, and I want do some writing. Which idea should I work on?

-Novel about a college age guy who is so obsessed with his best friend he murders his friend's fiancee in a twisted attempt to get close to him. Pretty well planned out already, characters already developed.

-Novel or short story about a society identical to ours except for the fact that parents get to choose the gender of their children at birth. Follows a transgirl and her family. Mildly planned out.

-Novel or short story about a guy and his drug/alcohol addicted boyfriend. I've written about the characters in various different universes for years, no planning and no plot for an actual story, though.

-Short story about a guy who considers himself gay with no exceptions until his significant other tells him that she's a transform, not a guy. Same situation as before as for the characters. I know how the situation plays out but I have no real planning.

(Shh I know all of my ideas are about queer people)

-A fantasy novel. About elves. Maybe in modern times, maybe not. Maybe with aspects of science fiction, maybe not. That's all I have for this idea.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Anything from suggestions about which you think I should write, feedback about the ideas, or something else :D
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 pm
deleted30 says...

I LOVE the first idea. It sounds awesome and disturbing (in a good way)! I mean, they all sound pretty cool, but the first one's the one I would work on if I were you.

Good luck! :D

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:39 pm
eldEr says...

THE FIRST ONE. And also the one about the guy and his druggie boyfriend (I've got a similar novel planned, but I haven't started it yet. Brings in religion feels, because of my own personal life stuff, so I'm kind of automatically biased towards druggie boyfriends).
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

60 Reviews

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 pm
View Likes
queerelves says...

Thanks for the replies! I think the first one is the one I'm going to go with :) The idea actually came from a post on the Mary Sue Problems Tumblr. It was like "everyone who likes my crush always ends up dead," and so from there I came up with a real idea.

Actually, the original idea was that the main character was a serial killer who studied people's habits, poisoned them, and showed up at their house later claiming he was Death coming to tell them when they were going to die. Like, he would watch someone and know that they drank a glass of milk every morning at 7 before they went to work, so the night before he would sneak into their house and poison the milk with a poison t h at he knew would take, say, 48 hours to kill them. Then he would break into their house again before they came home and then they got there, he would tell them when they were going to die. And since he already poisoned them, they would die at that time.

Actually, that's probably much more interesting, but I couldn't fit both parts in. So I'll do that one another time. (That idea came from an episode of The Twilight Zone)

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 pm
lostthought says...

I like the first one! Of course, you may have to stick with a short-story on it.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:31 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

A novel about an modern-day elven society similar to ours except that parents get to choose the gender of their children at birth. It will follow a transboy dating an alcohol addicted boyfriend who considers himself gay, until transboy tells him that she's actually a girl.

And they decide to marry, until the guy's best friend tries to murder transboy because best friend has been obsessed with guy his whole life and is struggling to accept the fact that guy is marrying a transboy.

Or tranself...

*Edit* Or transboy! Inter-racial marriage gender complications between human and elven societies can only be good for the plot.
We were born to be amazing.

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:39 pm
LadySpark says...

-Novel or short story about a guy and his drug/alcohol addicted boyfriend. I've written about the characters in various different universes for years, no planning and no plot for an actual story, though.

!!!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:50 pm
rawrafied says...

You've got some pretty great ideas.

The first one sounds the most interesting but also the most difficult. It takes a lot for a person to descend to be able to do something that atrocious (and murder in general). Not to mention, you have to take into account if he gets caught or not, and how or how not? And all that fun stuff.

The fourth idea also sounds really interesting too and would probably be the easier of the two.

The second idea has some promise, but not like the other two. The third idea is a bit overdone, but a completely do-able plot since it would really push you on your writing skills to make it interesting and unique. But like these two, the last idea just seems to be lacking due to where you are developing-wise. But all have the potential to be interesting. I would definitely agree with going with what Tenyo suggested of combining one of these with the modern-day elf story or (as the little Mexican girl on my tv tells me) why not both (English translation, of course)?

Best of luck and enjoy your trip. :3

60 Reviews

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:28 pm
View Likes
queerelves says...

Thank you all for the suggestions! I've started writing the first one already, but I plan to write the rest in the future. I published the prologue here, and it's called Azazel. Alas, I'm on my phone so it's too hard to link it.

uwu
— soundofmind