z

Young Writers Society

Good Idea?

Reviews: 1
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 am
CyberScout says...

OK, I have a little something about these kids who have the power to break the laws of physics, (Time, Space, Energy, etc.) and they try to use their powers to fit in at first, later become heroes, but then get a bit... greedy and use their powers to steal things and are hired for several people to complete their tasks. Some of the kids and their powers are: Thomas, who can open rifts to store things in or travel places. Felix, who can stop time. Steven, who can absorb energy from things to give him strength, and the object he absorbs from crumbles. Cy, who can control minds and manipulate memories.
The story is told from their different points of view, and there may be several "books" to it. Who would read this story, and should I change things? Should I add a new character? What would their name be/power? FEEDBACK PLZ.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 am
crossroads says...

Hey. As quick intro, I moved this to Writers Corner for you - Ask an Expert is more for specific questions, you'll get more feedback you seek here ;)

This premise sounds quite interesting to me. I love the idea of them becoming greedy and using their powers selfishly - that makes them seem quite realistic in my mind, as it's quite simple to imagine it really happening.

I'm curious, though. How did they get these powers, how old are they, what are they like aside from getting greedy and all that? Do they have a story thought of already?

It's hard to tell if you'd need any more characters, you should give us more details for that! I'm assuming this is happening on Earth? Do you have some (parts of) plot thought of, do you have their personalities? Do you feel like you need another character, and why so if yes..?

Those would be my starting questions. c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 am
CyberScout says...

Their age is 13-15, yes it is on earth, and they got their powers by being near the rifts when they first opened during a massive power surge. I feel the other character needs to be an antagonist, someone who can destroy the rift energy. Any other suggestions/criticism? I want to have a clear idea before I start writing. BTW, they were not friends in school until they saw each other using powers. And this story is for more mature audiences, at one point they kill for money, and as I think up the antagonist's personality, I feel he is another student, but... well. let's just say the other kids might call him "emo."

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 am
lostthought says...

Anyone else reminded of Gone?
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 am
CyberScout says...

Haha, yeah, now that I think of it, the town and circumstances are similar, but the storyline will be much different.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 am
CyberScout says...

Well, I guess it's time to start. WAIT. I need a title.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 am
CyberScout says...

Got it- The Rift Children. This will be the first one of a lot of short-ish books.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 13, 2014 12:10 am
Rosendorn says...

What sort of age group are you looking at?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue May 13, 2014 1:45 am
birk says...

I actually believe these types of stories where young teenagers gain superhero-like powers are still pretty underutilized. There has been many of them throughout the years, but there's still room for fresh ideas here. Especially stories where the characters have no idea what to do with the powers.

I guess I view your idea as similar to the 2012 film 'Chronicle', which I'd like to see more of. That was a breath of fresh air.

About the origin of these powers, you say they came from these rifts? I'd guess this would be a pretty important event then? What I would recommed then is bringing the government into it. From the way you explained this, it sounds like these rifts stick around, so they'd probably investigate that. Maybe they'd even detain the few people who gained powers from this? It's pretty impressive powers, so it wouldn't go unnoticed.

As these kids grow out of control, I think the government would be more of a proper antagonist to them, instead of another kid. Or you could have both.

Thomas, who can open rifts to store things in or travel places.

The antagonist you proposed had the power to stop the rift power? I'd say this protagonist guy here is more suited for that.

To be honest, I'd just start writing and see what you come up with. You seem very character focus so far, which is similar to how I write myself. Try to create these characters and the story will unfold easier as you write.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild