z

Young Writers Society

Having characters but no plot?

Reviews: 0
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm
reapir says...

Any tips for what to do when you can create a multitude of characters but can't come up with a single plot to fit any of them?

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm
DrFeelGood says...

If you want to write about characters without a plot, you need to identify those characters really well. Each character must have a unique trait. This will really help you understand their behavior in certain situation. Having said that, you must essentially have a plot to tell a story.

You can improvise on your story and make it character-driven but you need to have some kind of a plot, be it adventurous journey of a dysfunctional family or a horror, where a haunted family of ghosts are doing some actions. These stories have a thin plot but end of the day, plot is definitely essential.

Hope I helped you. :D

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 am
megsug says...

I have this problem all the time. Normally, I try to think of what would cause the most change in my characters. Character growth is a beautiful thing, but our characters often have to be torn down by bad circumstances in the plot before they can become stronger.

Figure out your character's weaknesses and push them to the limits.
Test

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:26 am
lostthought says...

Get them all together and kill them off one by one like a slasher flick.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:28 am
Astronaut says...

Throw them all in a locked room and let them write their own story.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 am
KaiTheGreater says...

Start writing about the characters. Just every-day life stuff. Then have something unexpected happen, like somebody dies or reveals a terrible secret or gets a new best friend. Write about the character's reaction, and screw with 'normal' events as much as possible. Try to throw in as many plot twists as you can. After the first unexpected event, don't let anything be normal or predictable again. This might help: http://www.rangen.co.uk/writing/plotgen.php
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:17 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Figure out what these characters want, then figure out how not to give it to them. Put them in extremely conflicting situations and see how they react.

I agree that you have to know your characters well, but when you only have the characters, you have to know how they'd react. This is actually a good thing— it forces you to break away from standard plots that have things happening for no reason; you have to give actions a reason.

I would suggest to pick a fatal flaw for each character and figure out what's going to clash with it, then put your characters in situations like that as much as humanly possible. Then you force them to make really hard choices, and they grow. That helps give your plot richness.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

*throws hand into the air*

You don't actually need a plot. I mean, if you know your characters well enough, that is. And it kind of depends on genre and what you hope to accomplish with the work, but I do this thing with realistic fiction where the characters and their lives are the plot. Within a life, there are thousands and thousands of little arcs and things that you learn about yourself and parts of your life that you push though, and, in my opinion, nothing's more fascinating to read about than that.

If you DO need a plot, look at your characters and, as Rosey said, figure out what they want. Next, I create my setting. Once you have your characters, their basic needs, and where/what they have to work with to meet their needs and wants, figuring out a plot is a thousand times easier.

Sometimes, it pays to just start writing and figure out a plot as you go along, too.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln